WWE Sold To Endeavor, Will Merge With UFC

SaitoRyo

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

But on the flip side, does AEW really need any more 'fillers' on an already overly bloated roster?

It doesn't, at all. But yet...

Shelton Benjamin was in RoH in the 2010s so I'll be astounded if Tony doesn't call him.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

The thing is, look at the likes of Cole, MJF, Strong, etc. They all got kicked from WWE for being not up to par, yet now they are arguably the most entertaining in the business. 

MJF was never part of WWE. 

Cole was pushed heavily and they had (shit) plans for him on the main roster. He wasn’t fired from WWE. His contract was up, to the surprise of both parties, which is why he could appear on AEW tv so soon afterwards. 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Peroxide Puyol in the Hall of Fame is a stretch for me. 

Even as bloated as it's gotten as time has gone on, looking through the list of alumni now pretty much all of them are readily more identifiable than Ziggler to the wrestling world. There's a few golden age entrants in there from when they pretended Hogan, Warrior and Savage never worked for them but I'd argue for building its legacy in the 90s they were valuable to get in there. 

Ziggler's just never been as memorable as the sum of his parts. That's kinda been his deal. His list of accomplishments probably immediately say Hall of Fame, but he's probably the main guy endemic of that period where all the years really started to just blend together and become impossible to separate. It's still a bit like that now, but nowhere near as bad as those years of guest hosts of Raw, John Laurinaitis as an on screen character, shows like Bragging Rights and Over the Limit, Cena Vs. Orton XVI etc. 

He spells it 'Megadeath' too. Fuck him. 

You could have Kofi induct him. 

• Paid Members

Ziggler's 43, which isn't that old in modern wrestling terms, but 43 with the better part of 20 years WWE TV exposure may as well be 53. They didn't capitalise on him at any points they should have done, and he's really someone who would have benefited from a Drew McIntyre run of being released and proving himself elsewhere to come back reinvigorated. I'm not sure how much value he brings now. A tag team with his brother isn't going to set the world on fire, but if AEW bring him in, which seems likely, I'd rather that than positioning him as a top star out of the gate. He'd be a good get as a bigger name for Impact otherwise, though I'd expect AEW get to him first.

The sweet spot for ex-WWE talent is to feel like somebody who was held back there, never reached their potential, and is given a new lease of life by working elsewhere - the Christian Cage in TNA approach - rather than feeling like a WWE cast-off who outstayed their welcome; the almost everybody else in TNA approach. Mustafa Ali could be that guy for AEW, at least in the short term; even though he's older than a lot of their established top goys and prospects, he doesn't feel older in terms of TV time. He works a style Tony Khan likes, is from Chicago, and from Pakistani heritage, I'd be amazed if Tony hasn't already written out the contract.

Elias and Rick Boogs are too I'm interested to see what happens next - it's an opportunity to reinvent themselves without the WWE gimmick and show what they can do, and they'd be a perfect fit for Impact as a bit of a playground to try new ideas while bringing a degree of star power. It's really a question of whether they do that or are happy to live off the WWE gimmick at signings, cons, and indie shows for the rest of their career, and there's no shame in that route either.

That's it for this batch really, I don't see any big huge signings in the list currently announced. People getting excited about a nearly 50 year old Shelton Benjamin who stank up the joint in ROH and NJPW last time he was released, I don't get it. Here's not the only place I've seen calls for him to join the Blackpool Combat Club, but why? He has no history with any of them. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Here's not the only place I've seen calls for him to join the Blackpool Combat Club, but why?

Only one person on here and I’m pretty sure they were joking. I can’t imagine most people are being serious. 

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

People getting excited about a nearly 50 year old Shelton Benjamin who stank up the joint in ROH

Now come on, some of those tag matches were quite good. He was awful in Japan though. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I liked Maximum Male Models and thought they were criminally underused.

That is all. 

Fully agreed. Whilst I very much like the twist of Maxine setting out to recruit Otis as a model and it ending up with Alpha Academy recruiting HER to their camp, the fact it did for MMM is a shame. Perfectly good lower card heel gimmick. Once Maxine moved on they maybe could have done with a few more bodies added and become a modern day Spirit Squad - a collection of lower card guys who are a minor threat when they outnumber you, but invariably get their comeuppance whenever they step up to the wrong opponents.

RE: Elias, it's just come back to me that during the period he was getting a good push he/they picked up a legitimate endorsement deal with Fender, and the very first thing they did was to gimmick a brand new Fender acoustic so the neck just randomly broke mid-song, with no context or follow up. Absolute insanity.

Is Vickie Guerrero still with AEW?

Her and Dolph can get the band back together, have her introduce him as the “new and improved Nick Nemeth”. Fuck it, let him get a terrible buzz cut again whilst we’re at it.

I’ve never liked Dolph, but that segment alone was enough to prove his hair was 90% of the act.

• Paid Members

The faux outrage doesn't seem to be as loud with this round of cuts which I think speak volumes for the names that have been cut. Usually there's a big song and dance about how shite and heartless WWE are for a week or two before it's all forgotten about until the next lot of mass releases. 

Whilst it's shite to see anyone lose their job, I don't think anyone on this list really could have done more within WWE. Ali got about as far as he could and the forgotten #FreeAli movement should be happy. Ziggler got his moment in the sun and whilst WWE failed to capitalise fully, he's still been around for about 5 years too long. Elias you could possibly argue could have gone a bit further, but the Elias character was boring...Ezekiel on the other hand....

I honestly don't think AEW should touch any of the list with a bargepole. None of them are any better or different to what they currently have on the roster. Impact, on the other hand, could do tremendous business out of Elias, MMM and Ali.

And also, thank fuck that idiot Quincy Elliot has finally been given the marching orders after the whole bullying drama with Amari Miller.

Edited by Nick James
Elliot...not Jones.

I actually think there’s probably enough residual “he was held back” love in the non-WWE crowd to mean Ziggles could have a somewhat respectable run in AEW.

I won’t watch, of course, but someone will.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz