AEW Revolution 2022 *Potential Spoilers*

WeeAl

A Cody return with a proper heel turn would be good but it isn't needed tonight. The show is stacked let all of them shine without a potentially sour ending for a Cody return.

I actually wondered whether Khan would use ROH akin to how WWE did use NXT and whether Cody may be given a HHH style roll with them.

You know when everyone books their own shit online when they're discussing stuff or running their E-Feds or whatever else, and you just mostly laugh it off because it's the most self indulgent madness? TK's doing that in real life and I can only imagine how fun his life must be right now. The Mox/Danielson ending and the Punk entrance to name the two most recent things.. it's crazy isn't it? But he sprinkles this stuff around some really fucking good pro wrestling.

Definitely wasn't my favourite AEW show but they always set the bar so damn high. Some matches that delivered as expected, and others that really surprised me when I wasn't too bothered before. Sting is an absolute madman. Jericho came to make Kingston look like a damn star. Wardlow! Hangman's gear was a thing of beauty. Just so many random things keep coming back to me. 

And all of those things happened all over the damn show. Once again they managed to put something together that wasn't a 1 match show or only focused on the title etc. From day 1 they've done an insanely good job of making everything matter.

• Paid Members

Didn't get to watch last night, but I'll get chance hopefully today. 

HOOK was brilliant on the PRE-SHOW, but then he's brilliant wherever he goes. 

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed that show. Jericho/Kingston was a great opener, and I love that Eddie has a full on wobbly, jelly belly. I like seeing different body types in wrestling.

Jade continues to improve, she has a bright future.

The ladder match was a whole lot of fun, some spots I haven't seen before and the right winner.

On that note, Wardlow finally screwing over MJF was lovely. And the match was easily MOTN for me.

Main event was solid, but was always going to suffer on this show and having to follow the trios brawl.

Britt Baker and Thunder Rosa were there too.

Worst of the night was probably JR. He started off shit by not knowing where he was, and just seemed to get more and more petulant as the night went on.

Is there a more popular babyface in AEW right now than Eddie Kingston? That match with Jericho was brilliant, and easily my favourite match of the entire show. I really hope they put the title on him at some point, if they have him defeat someone like MJF, that moment could be absolutely magical. 

Punk/MJF was also excellent, but it wasn't quite as good as the Cody/Brodie dog collar match. Given that Wardlow is going after the TNT title, I'm a little worried that means we'll see MJF go after the TNT title, which feels beneath him, even if, ultimately, he fails to win the belt. 

I genuinely hope I'm wrong, but I'm not convinced that Wardlow is going to amount to anything more than a Brian Cage level babyface. He has great facial expressions, but his promos, so far, have been a bit lacking. We'll see. 

I'm starting to wonder if the bloom is already off the rose with Keith Lee. On Rampage, during the break, Taz had a very genuine sounding rant about how Keith Lee would pass people in the hall without speaking to them, and that "saying hello" goes a long way sometimes. Jim Ross said something similar on the PPV, although this time, Taz attempted to justify it by saying it was because he was an "intense" guy. It'll be interesting to see what he does next. 

Did they have to have the word "Swerve" printed on Shane Strickland's "contract"? It was a bit bizarre to have Tony hype up their new signing, while waving around a great big spoiler about who it was. It's great to see him in AEW though, he oozes star quality. 

Regal getting involved in the Danielson/Moxley storyline was a twist I didn't see coming, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes next. The idea of Moxley (potentially) being managed by Regal is quite bizarre, and it'll be interesting to see if it even works, should it even happen. 

The Page/Cole match was...fine. It really struggled to hold my interest. I'm not sure if it was because the outcome was obvious, or if it was because I'd seen enough wrestling at that point. They need to move Page on to a hot feud quickly. It would be a mistake to feed him another Lance Archer type - give him a Punk, Moxley, MJF or even Miro, if he's fit; a feud he can really sink his teeth into. 

10 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

A Cody return with a proper heel turn would be good but it isn't needed tonight. The show is stacked let all of them shine without a potentially sour ending for a Cody return.

I'm really glad Cody didn't show up tonight. I don't think it's a coincidence that AEW's shows have been much more enjoyable since he left. Long may his absence continue. 

• Paid Members

Thought it was a really good show but 5 hours including the pre-show was too much for me so I ended up skipping both women’s title matches, Mox vs Bryan and most the main event.

Hook was impressive on the pre-show, as was Erik Redbeard who played the monster role really well.

Leyla Hirsch i’m on the fence about. She’s intense but she’s tiny to the point she looks like a midget wrestler. A lot of dangerously sloppy looking spots and bumps purely down to the fact she’s so small and couldn’t get up to Statlander’s level. A poor pairing where the giant is the face.

Eddie vs Jericho was ace. Eddie really knows how to get people invested and Jericho did a lot to get him over.

Skipped the tag match because someone decided to give Bobby Fish his own microphone so after 5 minutes of hearing him non-stop trash talk at ringside I tapped out and skipped to the end.

Punk vs MJF was perfect. The entrances, the spots, the Wardlow turn, the finish. Brilliant storytelling and an excellent violent match.

Didn’t rate Swerve from what I saw. The roster is getting way too bloated. Hopefully he’s as good as people make out but what spot does he have in this company?

Ladder match was an average affair. Picked up near the end but christ i’m bored of ladder matches these days. They used to be such an occasion and now I can’t be arsed with them.

Sting’s splash was a highlight. Britt Baker winning the exact same way again was not. She’s making every face on the women’s roster look thick as pig shit.

Adam Cole stands out like a sore thumb in AEW compared to NXT. Tiny little spaghetti man in his Halo cosplay. He couldn’t have looked less of a threat. Glad Hangman won.

Gonna go back and rewatch it at some point as I hear the tag matches and Mox vs Bryan were excellent. 5 hours is too long though and when every match is trying to be a classic it wears thin really quickly.

To echo @ReturnOfTheMacktoo I agree JR was the worst he’s been in a long time. Opened by forgetting where he was, thought the world title belt had changed design? Excalibur/Tony/Tazz is the dream team.

Edited by FelatioLips

I really only watch the PPVs and sometimes Dynamite, so I feel a lot of the long term storytelling is lost on me.

Saying that I have followed the MJF/Punk feud and loved it, but I was really bored during their match. I don't really enjoy dog collar matches but this was particularly flat, the crowd having peaked with the first match.

Moxley/Danielson was superb and the highlight of the night, along with Eddie Kingston who might be one of the best baby faces I have ever seen. He plays that to absolute perfection. 

Really solid show all in all though, and just mostly fun compared to the po face of WWE these days.

Excalibur having to shill Draft Kings in the first 20 seconds was hilarious also.

As fun as wardlow turning with passing the ring was, it being an explosive split with spears being powerbombed again and again while MJF watches feels much more cathartic than what they went with. Instead we gave Wardlow walking away with his Cloister the stupid doughnut 

I only watched the pre show (buy in?), but even that was a great show.

Kris Statlander is just really good.   My first time seeing Hook and he is incredibly good - Hook is a great name too.   I am guessing he's pretty young, so, he's got a very bright future I imagine.   Pentagon - how can you not be amazed by him everytime.  Erick Redbeard is such a great wrestling name.   The House of Black's entrance was great.

• Paid Members

Top to bottom every match was very good to great with the only duffer being the woman’s title. Just get it off Britt.

Kingston showed yet again why he’s the man. Strap a rocket to him. Jericho going from bloated duffer to one of the best matches in decades was not on my radar.

Tag Titles was fun, love the Jurassic Express finisher. Even Luchasauraus had a good outing.

Cargill is getting better and the match was good.

Saw Swerve at progress last month. Great addition to the roster. 

ladder match was great. It felt fresh with some unique spots. 

Loved MJF/Punk and Danielson/Mox, even if they went to visceral. Regal is another great signing.

The trios was just a fun spot fest. The right Adam one the main event and I hope we lose Cole down the main event scene.

Preshow was fun. Woman’s match was better then the actual championship match. Hook once again looking boss. The Trios here was also good. Highlight of the pre show was Omega’s music coming on and Dirty Don coming out. Top trolling.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

I'm starting to wonder if the bloom is already off the rose with Keith Lee. On Rampage, during the break, Taz had a very genuine sounding rant about how Keith Lee would pass people in the hall without speaking to them, and that "saying hello" goes a long way sometimes. Jim Ross said something similar on the PPV, although this time, Taz attempted to justify it by saying it was because he was an "intense" guy. It'll be interesting to see what he does next. 

Could this be a little jab about the reports when he was released from WWE that he had a bit of an attitude problem and was difficult to work with? Everyone seems to speak rather highly of Keith Lee and how much of a nice guy he is. 

It was a bit of an exhausting show, in that everyone was trying to have the main event. I was frazzled by the end.

Really enjoyed Jericho/Kingston.

Really enjoyed the tag match, in spite of Bobby Fish being inexplicably loud and Kyle o’Reilly being the absolute worst thing in wrestling. His hammy facials are awful.

Punk/MJF wasn’t as good as their first match. It was just a slow brutal trudge. That’s not a criticism, it was just a different thing. Difficult to watch at times, but with a good finish.

I thought besides the odd funny Cassidy spot, the ladder match wasn’t great. Thought the final power bomb looked both shit and like it killed Starks.

Enjoyed Mox/Danielson. Really enjoyed seeing Regal. Love the idea of him being the figurehead/mentor of a brutal bastard faction led by Danielson/Mox, who want to make everyone violent.

Enjoyed the trios match only in so much as it was stupid and quick and Sting looked great.

Main event was good, I’m sure, but I’d sort of got burnt out by that point.