AEW Revolution 2022 *Potential Spoilers*

WeeAl

18 minutes ago, DCW said:

At this stage one of Punk/Mox/MJF has to get involved in the world title feud. Poor Hangman's reign has been fairly lacklustre, not helped by being saddled with wasters like Cole.

I know Cole has a lot of critics but I'm not sure we can throw his name out there as someone that would be bringing Hangman down. He's extremely over and a big name from NXT/WWE and a proven track record before that too. And AEW have treated him well since he's come in too. He's not like a Lance Archer or anything. I'd say he can take a loss without losing much value, while if you're throwing someone like MJF in there at the moment then you're potentially booking yourself into a corner with who wins/loses.

5 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I know Cole has a lot of critics but I'm not sure we can throw his name out there as someone that would be bringing Hangman down. He's extremely over and a big name from NXT/WWE and a proven track record before that too. And AEW have treated him well since he's come in too. He's not like a Lance Archer or anything. I'd say he can take a loss without losing much value, while if you're throwing someone like MJF in there at the moment then you're potentially booking yourself into a corner with who wins/loses.

I think Adam Cole only ever being an NXT guy is detrimental to AEW, to be honest. I just don’t see him as a big star. AEW feels to me like it’s the big show - maybe not the biggest, but certainly top tier - and NXT is just a developmental program where most the guys don’t go on to do much.

I think Hangman needs Punk, to be honest.

• Paid Members

Enjoyed the show but of course it was far too long. I don't mind getting value for money when I'm paying twenty quid for it, but it burns the live crowd out and diminishes the overall quality of the show. I said in the Dynamite thread a few weeks ago that the Kingston match would get a hotter fan response than the Dog Collar Match and I was right on that, but opening the show was a big reason for it. The crowd reaction was great for Wardlow's turn though.

Thought Hangman's performance was brilliant in the main event, but like a lot of people here I struggled to invest in the match. I'm still absolutely gutted they signed Cole and the ReDRagon lads, they shouldn't be anywhere near the main event picture.

I bought the show for the Eddie, Punk and Danielson matches and thought they all delivered, with good finishes, so I'm happy. Regal was a nice surprise. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, air_raid said:

I haven’t watched the show, nor will I, but I’m very thankful for what it’s created - several WWE diehards tempted to give the show a go, now complaining on Twitter that the crowd “overreacted to everything.”

Can you imagine being so brainwashed for so long, being used to listless crowds that have seen the same old shit, that you don’t recognise when talent are over and that the crowd is actually up for the product, to the point you criticise it as “overreacting”?

GOD DAMN, those AEW fans! Enjoying their Sports Entertainment TOO much!

Can't believe I'm advocating removing quality matches from a card but the Buy-In being quite frankly hot as fuck was a problem.

Hirsch/Stadtlander, Hook/QT and the spectacle of that bonkers six man would have made a sensational Rampage. The problem is by MJF/Punk the crowd were knackered and what should have been a molten crowd were at the point they needed their mid show nap.

Loved the show. Only Baker/Rosa disappointed marginally but it looks like it was never meant to be the climax of that story anyway.

I don't think it's a show that would change anyone's mind on AEW, but it did all the things that AEW does well, for the audience they're doing it for.

The Punk Entrance, Regal and Shane Strickland pissing cool charisma were lovely little bits of seasoning for hard core wrestling fans on a show that's essentially made by them for them.

Oh, one last thing. Why have AEW been battering us over the head with the frankly tiresome Dan Lambert when they've got Don Callis RIGHT THERE? Callis' promo on the Buy-In was just proper Pro Wrestling Carny brilliance. Sold the show and reminded everyone what a brilliant piece of shit he is. 

Rewatching the show in full, orange Cassidy seems to be more big facial expressions and laughing in the match than he usually does. Maybe a slight change in direction to have him play up that he’s doing his character traits to pop himself 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Louch said:

Put it on one of them and you’d have the same issue page has in that they don’t have champions lose to build up matches( bar the lights out nonsense). The other feuds work better as have back and forth wins and losses. Title picture is a bit more linear in its story 

The problem with the AEW title scene is definitely not that the champion doesn't lose enough.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

Oh, one last thing. Why have AEW been battering us over the head with the frankly tiresome Dan Lambert when they've got Don Callis RIGHT THERE? Callis' promo on the Buy-In was just proper Pro Wrestling Carny brilliance. Sold the show and reminded everyone what a brilliant piece of shit he is. 

Funny as I considered Dan Lambert, an outsider, a breath of fresh air and a natural. While his schtick's going off a little he's paired up newer talent that opens up possibilites, and whereas Callis is brilliant I'm quite happy never seeing the Goof Bros ever, ever again.

Edited by seph

2 minutes ago, seph said:

Funny as I considered Dan Lambert, an outsider, a breath of fresh air and a natural. While his schtick's going off a little he's paired up newer talent that opens up possibilites, and whereas Callis is brillaint I'm quite happy never seeing the Goof Bros ever, ever again.

I'm not advocating the Good Bros, but Callis should be more regularly on telly. I've been thinking for a while that I'd like Callis on the announce desk. In fact if AEW are going to insist on having JR on the call, I'd have Callis there winding him up. I loved the JR/ Heyman pair back in the day and Callis just goading JR into blowing his top is the only way I'd get any enjoyment out of Ross on commentary.

• Paid Members

Eddie and his belly Vs Jericho was a fun match.  Looks like the feud will continue as well. 

Luchasaurus looked great in the tag title match, certainly the best I've seen him. It really helps that he had those smaller guys to bump around for him, and the extra people in the match meant he could be used sparingly. There were some brilliant spots towards the end as well. 

That video package for the ladder match was good. 

I loved some of the stuff they did with those big lads in the ladder match. Keith Lee sneakily holding the ladder while Hobbs suplexed Cassidy off the top was how you do it, as opposed to during that Cody/Sammy ladder match. 

Jade Cargill's Mortal Kombat costume was pretty cool. Calling Tay Conti her biggest challenge when she beat Thunder Rosa and Ruby Soho on her way to winning that title was a bit of a dig at them. I can do without ever seeing Conti's "shocked" 2 count face again, though. The match was fine, they kept it simple. A few times it felt like they were going slower than they should have, but nothing went wrong. I don't know who challenges next. 

The entrances for the Punk/MJF match were great. Nice callbacks to the previous match they had. The story of the match was a good one, especially when there are so many matches that just feel like they go from spot to spot to spot. The slower pace of the match made everything feel like it had a greater impact as well. Schiovane explaining that MJF was there earlier putting the bag of tacks under the ring so he knew it'd be there was a great touch, and the finish? What a match. What a pop for Wardlow as well. 

Thunder Rosa didn't look like she working her usual style, presumably because of the injury. She just have said she was good to go though, otherwise I don't get why the match would have gone ahead. Britt countering Rosa's attempt at the lockjaw by biting when nobody tries to do that whenever she applies it was stupid. Unless they're going to have a rematch on account of Rosa having Britt beaten twice and do the title change elsewhere I don't know what they do with the women's title from here? I hope they haven't held back on a title change here to try and pop a rating at the Paddy's day show. 

Moxley & Danielson was a good contrast of styles, but they made it work. Brutal match. Regal at the end was a surprise. Him managing both of them and a bunch of younger guys could be a great stable.

Alternately using him as an authority figure could be a good move. He'd do a great job as the voice of Tony Khan or some kind of kayfabe championship committee. 

It was brown trousers time for Andrade. That running gordbuster was bloody impressive. Sting with that dive? Wow. Who would have thought he's such a fan of New Jack? Is it me or did Darby miss that coffin drop? It's a toss up between that and Lesnar's shooting star at Mania 19 as to who got less. 

Loved Page's pride gear. The superkick to the moonsault was impressive but I just couldn't get into the match because I didn't think Cole had a chance of winning. I think the crowd felt the same as they seemed to be amusing themselves with their Adam-themed chants. They did what they could, but it doesn't feel like Page has had a real challenge since Danielson. Hopefully Moxley goes after him, or Punk. 

It was a decent show. Be interesting to see the fallout on Dynamite. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

59 minutes ago, Duke said:

The problem with the AEW title scene is definitely not that the champion doesn't lose enough.

I’m not saying it’s about the champ losing, the others stories just have both parties more likely to lose than a title switch happening so let’s them deviate more. 

• Paid Members

As if people aren't going to already be tuning in to see Wardlow win the TNT title?