AEW Revolution 2022 *Potential Spoilers*

WeeAl

• Awards Moderator

My wife watched some of the Buy In show with me yesterday morning. She saw HOOK for the first time. HOOK is now her favourite wrestler.

Reasons she loves HOOK:

1) The fact he’s such a contrast to all the other wrestlers who put so much effort into being dramatic or theatrical. Any effort HOOK puts in is for making it look like he’s not bothered.

2) The aura he gives off of clearly being too cool for wrestling.

3) The fact he walks in, gets the job done, wins and just walks out again.

4) His hair.

Anyway,

I loved Jericho vs Kingston - Jericho’s best match in ages.

Mox vs Danielson was also really good- REGAL! He was outstanding - and so was Punk vs MJF - loved the Miseria Cantare entrance. Conti vs Cargill and the Tornado six man were both fun little sprints.

Bobby Fish’s really loud talking through the tag match turned me off that one, despite the fact it was A Good Match. I don’t think I like Red Dragon at all. I never saw them in ROH, and I maintain O’Reilly’s team with Roderick Strong was the best pairing of Undisputed Era.

I skipped through parts of the main event. It was probably also Good but I didn’t have time before work for Adam Cole to act shocked when his moves that never finish anyone failed to finish Hangman.

Good show.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

I don’t think it’s spoken about enough just how bad Kyle O’Reilly is.

I’m almost of the opinion he feels aggrieved at his position on the card and is taken the piss deliberately.

His facials during the tag match and the main event were so, so bad.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I don’t think it’s spoken about enough just how bad Kyle O’Reilly is.

I’m almost of the opinion he feels aggrieved at his position on the card and is taken the piss deliberately.

His facials during the tag match and the main event were so, so bad.

I really am not a fan of his, but I love Bobby Fish. :/

Another strong show. All of it was good for the most part, with the Womens Title match probably being the weakest thing on it as it never really got going.

Kingston/Jericho was quite possibly the best match Y2J has had had in AEW, loved the Punk AFI entrance as a mid 2000's ROH fanboy and him and MJF told a great story. I thought Danielson/Moxley was terrific as well though I never really like these sudden finishes. Sign me up for a Moxley and Danielson tag team with Regal as manager though. The tag title match, the Ladder match and the six man were all just fun.

Definitely thinking Page should lose the title soon at the moment though, the chase is always better than the reign itself with faces like him. Always has a good match, him and Cole was this once again but his stuff doesn't feel main event worthy. Maybe a feud with Punk can add some heat to proceedings? 

I love Page, and think/hope his reign is just a different type of story. It wouldn't make sense for anxious millennial cowboy Adam to suddenly turn into an Attitude Era badass or start turning out ultra emotional blood feud matches. Instead, he went 90+ minutes with the best wrestler in the world, then took on a murder machine in a death match (while quietly shitting himself when he found out it was a death match), and then, finally feeling some confidence, he has to batter a jealous former best friend. He could do worse than acknowledge the boos he got from Orlando superkicking an Adam Cole he'd lashed to the ropes with his own belt. The moment he felt comfortable as champion, he lowered himself to his opponent's level, beating a defenseless man. I've enjoyed this three-month arc of Page finding out who he is as champion. It's just a shame that it's come along at the time of so many angles absolutely exploding in quality.

Other quick thoughts: EDDIE KINGSTON IS REAL. Love to see the body them Reese's peanut butter pies in catering made. Love the double backfist before the stretch plumb finish. Love that he was so used to fighting, he didn't believe he'd won. Love the joy on his face. Love that this isn't over.

Thunder Rosa is dog shit. I know she has admirers on here, but I assume that's goodwill from NWA prerecords, because everything she's done in AEW is big pop for an entrance, fucking crickets, big pop when it's over. Everything she does looks somehow limp and stiff at the same time. Every match, she has at least one visible on-camera strop. Her one decent match was THE ONE vs Britt, a clumsy stunt fest blood bath more memorable for Britt attaining her final form.

Jade is the business. Tay doing Sammy's shtick just reminds me what an oik he is for using his engagement for a face pop then kicking his fiancee to the curb months later.

Sting. What a hero, but it feels like he's doing this every week now. Him and Darby need a genuine angle now. They've been a utility tag team ever since that "what do I do, dad?" look between them when Sammy lost the TNT title THAT long ago.

Didn't bother with the triple threat tag. Bucks' Good Matches got boring for me a while ago, and I have no time for Elite infighting.

I switched off Mox vs Danielson the moment they did huggy shooty bollocks in the ropes. Nothing says violence like exchanging over- and underhooks, apparently. Anyone roasting them for "their dad" coming in to tell them off wants to say that to Regal's face. The guy's a tank with the eyes of a killer. Totally believe him as a fight club kingpin figure.

Punk vs MJF was a spectacle but they could've done half as much. Max may be the best of the four pillars. I'll take him doing 6 matches a year if he gets me this invested and turns in such good performances.

Poor Ricky Starks. Or should I say "Ricky Stacks", JR? That wasn't getting over, Jim. The ladder match was going so well, then he brains himself doing a backward roll onto a ladder. No force, just a damp squib. Poor Wardlow having to roar over that.

Edited by CavemanLynn

I think that description of Pages reign @CavemanLynnsaid is a nice summary. There is loads you can still do with Page. I'd like him to beat Jericho as it's a very important piece of his full story. MJF doesn't need the belt yet.

William Regal, my word. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. Dressed like the business, he was proper gentleman villain. The slap to Bryan and Bry looking like distraught at getting belted by his Da. Fucking eyes of Regal, he's terrifying. Wait till he gets the power of the punch out. 'Calm Down'. 

13 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Thunder Rosa is dog shit. I know she has admirers on here, but I assume that's goodwill from NWA prerecords, because everything she's done in AEW is big pop for an entrance, fucking crickets, big pop when it's over. Everything she does looks somehow limp and stiff at the same time. Every match, she has at least one visible on-camera strop. Her one decent match was THE ONE vs Britt, a clumsy stunt fest blood bath more memorable for Britt attaining her final form.

Don't think it's quite the NWA run.

There was the first match in AEW which turned out to be a joint debut for Thunder & Serena Deeb. Many expecting a squash to put over Thunder ahead of the Champion v. Champion match at All Out. Instead it was a match that had people going "AEW should sign both them". They'd have a 2nd match if I remember right when Deeb was NWA Champion.

Then there was the Shida match at All Out. The first Baker match which built to the Lights Out match. Kinda random triple threat with Nyla & Jade. I'm not saying they're barnburners but the bar has been pretty low in AEW. Since officially signing I don't think she's been given a ton to do storyline wise for there to be anything all that memorable.

Given current world events, I was surprised they allowed Leyla Hirsch to wear the Russian flag on her gear especially when every other sport is distancing themselves from Russia as much as possible. I'm not saying it's right or wrong either, just surprised. I was happy to see her win as I've never really enjoyed Statlander.

Hook was Hook. And credit to QT for playing his part. 

Glad to see House of Black picking up the win. They could have very easily given the win to Redbeard as a little nod to Brodie but steered from that direction. And if we're take House of Black serious, despite the "spooky" shit, then they need to win matches.

Jericho and Kingston was fucking unreal. Credit to both for putting on a match of that quality. Was expecting Santana and Ortiz to pop up somewhere, maybe tonight they'll slag Jericho off for not shaking Eddie's hand. 

Tag title triple threat was enjoyable enough. I understand the criticism of reDRagon and with Kenny's return on the horizon the eventual Cole/Fish/O'Reilly v Omega/Bucks will hopefully end the feud once and for all - but I doubt it. Jurassic Express continue to impress. Possibly a feud with House of Black next.

Ladder match didn't do much for me. I did like Starks and Hobbs shaking hands before they both went to climb the ladder but that was about it. Danhausen doesn't do anything for me either. I know he has his fans but it's lost on me. Wardlow winning is probably the right result (and I took Punk's title motions as a nod to Wardlow for going to win the TNT Title rather than his own wish of the world title). 

Tay Conti was on my screen so that made the TBS Title good enough. Jade continues to get better as well.

Punk and MJF was a great match that still somehow didn't quite reach the expectation I had for it. Build to it was excellent and if it hadn't been as good as it was, the match probably would have surpassed expectation. I felt Moxley/Danielson fell into the same category. Great matches the pair of them but not as great as the build deserved. But as everyone else has said, at the end of the Mox/Danielson match we got Regal so it's all good. I'm not sure I want Mox/Danielson to actually team together but just be parts of the same stable.

Women's title match was the real lowpoint of the night. People talk about Hangman's chase being better than the actual reign of champion, I think that saying is a lot more fitting for Britt. The enjoyment of her has just been getting worse as times gone on.

Trios match was just fun. And Sting probably stole the show.

Main event was alright. But like most, I didn't consider Cole a genuine threat to Page's title so it was hard to get overly excited for it. Hopefully Page can move onto something with a bit more substance now. He's meandered through the Archer and Cole matches that now he needs a feud that means something - especially with the next PPV centring on the Owen Hart Cup so Hangman may have to take another backseat.

• Paid Members

Went back and watched some of what I skipped last night with the wife. 

Triple Threat Tag Team was ace, but still no idea why Bobby Fish was so bloody loud. My wife was happy to see Jurassic Express but she's not arsed about Jungle Boy. Really into Luchasaurus though. Said that Kyle O'Reilly's selling when he was rebounding off the ropes was stupid and fake, which is a fair point because it was.

Tay Conti vs Jade Cargill was pretty good and fast paced. Never overstayed it's welcome.

Jericho vs Kingston was just as good on second viewing.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Triple Threat Tag Team was ace, but still no idea why Bobby Fish was so bloody loud. My wife was happy to see Jurassic Express but she's not arsed about Jungle Boy. Really into Luchasaurus though. Said that Kyle O'Reilly's selling when he was rebounding off the ropes was stupid and fake, which is a fair point because it was.

I think that they'd mic'd up the ring differently because of Regal needing to be heard fairly clearly without a microphone (and without a cameraperson right in the middle). So I'm guessing Fish was just stood closer to a directional mic that isn't always there.

• Paid Members

Very late to the posting party. I watched it between Monday night and Tuesday morning. Even then it felt long, and that's without the pre show. Still, this was a top level PPV. 

Shave 7 minutes off the main event (absolutely not needed, 25 minutes of Adam Cole?), 2 minutes off the tag title match, 6 minutes off of Britt and Thunder ( lowest point of the show by some distance), have Swerve debut on the live Rampage before the PPV and that's another 3 minutes, and 2-3 minutes off the ladder match. We're out of there 20 minutes earlier without even dropping a match and in my opinion, all those matches are improved. 

This show was all about Punk/MJF, and Mox Vs Danielson. Those delivered for me. The tornado six man tag was an absolute delight. The opener was so much better than I expected. Kingston was always coming to put in a shift in this one but Jericho really had his working boots on. Cargill Vs Conti was another pleasant surprise. 

So yeah, drawbacks? Too long. ReDragon and Adam Cole do absolutely nothing for me. Vanilla Midget Johnny Kickpads the three of 'em are. Britt Baker needed to lose the title. We know why she didn't, but it was still a negative on the night. Also, someone is going to break their neck (again) someday soon. Someone needs to have a word with these guys about head drops. 

Positives? How long do you have? Kingston Vs Jericho, Jungle Boy and his dinosaur were great and still have their titles. The six man mental case match towards the end. STING! Punk Vs MJF, Sexy Wardlow, The Handsome Cowboy won (he took too long and the belt in the ropes was a bad idea) but he won in the end. Mox Vs Danielson was a belter and we still get the team. We also get Mr Regal himself. Conti and Cargill was a very pleasant surprise. I wanted to watch the pre-show, but I just couldn't fit it in before hearing what happened.