AEW Revolution 2022 *Potential Spoilers*

WeeAl

1 minute ago, LaGoosh said:

Top level feuds with Jericho, Moxley and Miro would keep him busy.

Completely forgot Miro was there to be honest. Where has he been?

I like the idea of Hangman/Jericho as a throwback to the first title match, and Hangman/Moxley sounds a great Double or Nothing main event so year fair enough.

• Paid Members

yeah, I assume we're getting Hangman/Jericho to bring Hangman's story of self-actualisation full circle; they can play off of his remaining insecurities by calling back to him not being able to get the job done first time around, and needing to prove himself all over again. Don Callis showing up has planted the seed of a potential Kenny Omega return, too, and while I expect him to keep busy with Adam Cole and Elite in-fighting, he'll have to go back after the title sooner or later.

I think Punk will likely have at least one more programme, and maybe the Owen Hart Cup, to keep him busy before he goes after the title, but he was making it clear after his match that's in his future - and I'd be interested to see if they go down the Straight Edge route against Hangman, or if after Moxley's stint in rehab they might shy away from playing off Page's drinking. 

Even assuming no rematches for previous challengers, there's still a lot on the table. Page hasn't ever faced Moxley one-on-one (and a Triple Threat with Moxley, Hangman and Danielson could be brilliant too), he's never fought Eddie Kingston or Miro, MJF will likely get a shot before long, and there's plenty of others who'd make a good one-and-done TV challenger.

That's before any consideration of who could be brought in from all the WWE releases and potentially given a decent enough push to challenge for the title (though, by and large, they've been good at avoiding going to that well, outside of, understandably, Bryan Danielson), or any crossover stuff they might choose to do with either ROH or NJPW. Still a ton of options for Hangman's title reign before he runs out of challengers, even assuming they don't build up anyone new in the meantime. 

• Paid Members

If the bloated roster is a problem maybe the ROH purchase is to precipitate their own brand split. Except done properly and their guys will only wrestle each other one show a year.

• Paid Members

Maybe not on a PPV, but if Sting starts to wind down the in-ring stuff (and you assume at 63 it's coming soon-ish) I hope he gets a world title shot, even just a on a Dynamite to give him one last proper big singles match. It's probably irresponsible, and maybe not even possible, but man that would be a fun thing to do. 

The show was great for me. It just felt a bit of a slog to get through. That may be though as I normally squeeze in a nap though this time I soldiered through it which did have me clock watching. I imagine an 8pm start time in USA would make it far more palatable. 

I've long not seen what people see in Eddie Kingston. From poor ring gear to poor shape, yet I'm invested now. His promos have pulled me in, his gimmick has. I'd still like to see the gear and look improved, yet he's doing enough in my eyes inspite of it. Jericho has really got himself in shape recently too. Enjoyable match, and it's nice to see Jericho doing an enhancement job where a win over him means something as opposed to losing all the time where it didn't matter.

CM Punk vs MJF. Brilliant. Punk is a master story teller. His love letters to wrestlers of the past are great and long my they continue. The Wardlow turn at the end was done expertly too and kept MJF strong. Punk is the MVP of AEW for me.

Danielson and Moxley was all kinds of fun and differently paced to the rest of the show. Great to see Regal come out and can't wait to see where they go with this.

Young bucks was their usual fun match. Always a fun watch, and nice to see Jurassic Express run continue although i expect it to be ended in the not too distant future.

Cargill has really improved. Britt Baker has lost a bit of momentum now, her feud with thunder rosa would have benefitted if Rosa would have got a crew and they could have done some 3 on 3's. Decent match although not their best.

Page and Cole had such a difficult time following everything else. They did an okay job and Page's run goes on. None of his defences have really captured the imagination though, this one seemed like it had the backstory. Yet Kingston and Jericho had me far more invested with only a few weeks of build. 

That Ricky starks bump in the ladder match looked nasty. Not sure Wardlow was the right choice of winner - the beauty of a ladder match is people can lose without looking weak. Yet booking Wardlow after this could be a conundrum. Where does Keith Lee fit in AEW too? It's very talent heavy with everyone booked well thought there's only so much TV time.

I fell asleep for a large chunk of the tornado trios match so missed it. I've seen highlights, Sting is 63 years old this month! 63!!!!!! The guy is truly an icon and is highlighting the missed opportunities WWE had with him. We should have got Sting vs Taker. He feels a special attraction wrestling at the minute, he still bumps yet the tag matches also make his appearances entertaining. Expert use of a legend. 

As mentioned with the bloated roster, there's potential for further debuts too with Jeff Hardy and Gargano being rumoured in the not too distant future. The ROH situation will be so important now. At the same time the bloated roster allows rotation and for everyone to feel fresh. 
Really hope AEW come to the UK this year. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

Pity Jeff Hardy woofed the finish though, typical Jeff.  

Jim? Is that you? 

Jericho could come out and say "you've never beaten me, so I demand a shot?" I have no idea who's ranked number one now after Cole got beaten, but Jericho could finale his way in somehow, and his having previously beaten Page makes him look like a threat, there'd probably be some Inner Circle/Dark Order shenanigans as well. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

9 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Jim? Is that you? 

I’m actually looking forward to the inevitable Jeff Hardy v Jeff Hardy match when Jeff Hardy finally debuts.  

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Loki said:

I’m actually looking forward to the inevitable Jeff Hardy v Jeff Hardy match when Jeff Hardy finally debuts.  

I'm waiting for Hardys Vs 2.0 so we have Matt & Jeff Vs Matt & Jeff. JR is going to hate calling that match, so maybe they should do that one on Rampage. 

38 minutes ago, kamicazze said:

As mentioned with the bloated roster, there's potential for further debuts too with Jeff Hardy and Gargano being rumoured in the not too distant future. The ROH situation will be so important now. At the same time the bloated roster allows rotation and for everyone to feel fresh. 
Really hope AEW come to the UK this year. 

Stick Johnny Gargano in ROH please.

I think some international shows will help the idea of spreading PPV matches about. I could see them doing them on weekends as iPPVs. Rather than bringing Dynamite or Rampage to the UK.

• Paid Members

There are definitely people coming in at the moment who feel like RoH signings rather than AEW signings. 

1 hour ago, mim731 said:

Maybe not on a PPV, but if Sting starts to wind down the in-ring stuff (and you assume at 63 it's coming soon-ish) I hope he gets a world title shot, even just a on a Dynamite to give him one last proper big singles match. It's probably irresponsible, and maybe not even possible, but man that would be a fun thing to do. 

I'd love to see Sting challenge MJF if/when he becomes champion, and assuming MJF is champion by the time Winter is Coming takes place, the show on which Sting originally made his AEW debut, that, for me, would be the perfect place to hold this match. That said, I'd be totally fine with this main eventing a PPV. 

1 minute ago, jazzygeofferz said:

There are definitely people coming in at the moment who feel like RoH signings rather than AEW signings. 

You're definitely right about that, and I imagine it explains the Jay Lethal signing, and perhaps also the Brian Cage re-signing. 

Edited by RedRooster

1 hour ago, mim731 said:

I reckon you could put the TNT title on him briefly and people would be very cool with it. Kind of like how Flair won the IC title that time, very late in his career in 2005.

A Sting TNT title shot would probably pop a decent rating on TBS, too.

Edited by 69MeDon

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

You're definitely right about that, and I imagine it explains the Jay Lethal signing, and perhaps also the Brian Cage re-signing. 

Nothing explains that particular signing.