AEW Revolution 2022 *Potential Spoilers*

WeeAl

I enjoyed the show overall and I'm bracing myself for backlash but I still don't get the love for Eddie Kingston.

To me his look is absolutely shite. He's been with the company in prominant spots and probably on better money than he's ever earned from wrestling previously for well over a year and he still hasn't bothered to get some even half decent looking ring gear. Every time I see him everything about his look gives me the vibe of your mates dad when you were a kid who was just a fat, loud, middle aged man, telling everyone how he could beat Lennox Lewis if he had been more focused and didn't spend all his time in his youth down the pub and shagging.

The tag match was good, surprised to see Jungle Express win though.

The ladder match was really good some cool spots and a good choice for the winner but they need to get rid of that big Sonic The Hedgehog Ring for it because it looks absolutely garbage.

Jade Cargill aka Girlberg is brilliant and she gets better and better every match. Amazing look and they should keep the title on her forever.

Fastening down for my second potentially controversial take of the post but theres something about Tay Conti I just find really dislikeable and have no interest in seeing her win anything. Add into that the wheeling out of Brodie Lee's wife and son which I just feel very odd about. I appreciate they're probably mates backstage and she's probably nice to the son but it just seems a bit too "cheer for me look I'm out here with a widow and her son". Not saying I'm right, just my opinion.

Punk and MJF was a bit too slow paced for me but the turn from Wardlow was great. Interesting to see what happens Wednesday with The Pinnacle.

I really like Baker so was glad to see her retain regardless of the repeated finish.

Mox/Bryan was very good and William Regal topped it all off.

Adam Cole looks dreadful no idea how hes been in the main event of so many promotions but thank god Hangman retained.

All in all a very enjoyable show.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Jonny Vegas said:

I enjoyed the show overall and I'm bracing myself for backlash but I still don't get the love for Eddie Kingston.

To me his look is absolutely shite. He's been with the company in prominant spots and probably on better money than he's ever earned from wrestling previously for well over a year and he still hasn't bothered to get some even half decent looking ring gear. Every time I see him everything about his look gives me the vibe of your mates dad when you were a kid who was just a fat, loud, middle aged man, telling everyone how he could beat Lennox Lewis if he had been more focused and didn't spend all his time in his youth down the pub and shagging.

For me that's it though. He's like the slightly mental alcoholic in the working men's club who gets into fights every Friday night because its fun. Its something I have seen in shitloads of pubs, and always makes me a bit uncomfortable. And that's Eddie. He's rough as bollocks and doesn't give a shit. He just looks hard.

• Paid Members
Spoiler

Kingston’s whole gimmick is he’s not a gimmick. That’s who he is. He doesn’t need to Jericho his body, he just wrestles and fucks off. He’s the original hook.

Tay Conti is like Negative 1’s big sister and they have been exceptionally close since Brodie passed. If you know that and feel that way, you’re a wrongun. But if you don’t, I understand why it may feel off.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

7 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

For me that's it though. He's like the slightly mental alcoholic in the working men's club who gets into fights every Friday night because its fun. Its something I have seen in shitloads of pubs, and always makes me a bit uncomfortable. And that's Eddie. He's rough as bollocks and doesn't give a shit. He just looks hard.

He shouldn’t pull his straps down that early in a match, hide the negatives. Will always fight but probably loses more than he wins. I don’t think he’s a push to world title kinda guy, but a run with the TNT would work 

Edited by Louch

• Paid Members

I think hiding the negatives with Eddie Kingston is the opposite of what he should do, when the negatives are what pull people to him.

Like a lot of guys in AEW, I think there'll always be people who aren't misunderstanding him, but just aren't into it and that's fine. Eddie is a poor kid with mental health issues who grew up wanting to be a wrestler and after years of grinding and failing on the indies has finally 'made it'. Even then he's not able to get out of his own way - he doesn't look like the other wrestlers, he doesn't fit in, he loses his temper and gets himself into shit (like the short CM Punk feud), and he stumbles when he really needs a win.

For a lot of people watching, he's probably the most relatable guy there. Maybe one of the bigger stars is the guy you wish you were (Hook) but Eddie's the guy you are (or a close enough facsimile that it's easy to project yourself onto him)

On CM Punk… Is this the best return from a long term layoff since HBK?

He’s on absolutely scintillating form.

At his pomp, there were people who didn’t really ‘get’ Punk… but surely everyone realises at this point we’re watching one of the all time greats at the top of their game?

Poor old JR "where are we?" Opener was good, tag match lots of fun.

Was impressed by some of the innovative Orange Cassidy moments in the ladder match.

Felt the crowd were dead for the dog collar match.

The Britt Rosa match may still be going.

Loved the surprise at the end of Moxley Danielson.

Sammy is a lunatic. Fair play to Sting too.

Main event just felt ice cold. Cole in AEW appears to be a well received entrance and little else. Feel like there was an over reliance on ref distractions throughout the event. And the superkick button got spammed.

9 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Tay Conti is like Negative 1’s big sister and they have been exceptionally close since Brodie passed. If you know that and feel that way, you’re a wrongun. But if you don’t, I understand why it may feel off.

Clearly I don't know that and I don't follow any of them on social media or see anything other than them on TV so as I said I'm not saying I'm right I'm saying thats my perception from the information I'm aware of.

Seeing as wrestling is such a wholesome industry full of people of great character with good intentions where nobody has ever used a colleague's death for clout I can see why you'd be surprised I or others could even consider that could be the case though. 🙄

20 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

To me his look is absolutely shite.

If you're worried about his look, despite him having some of the most consistent and believable promo work in the business, and often being able to back it up with some really physical and entertaining matches, then yeah you're never going to 'get the love' for him. If he can't win you over with everything that's great about him and you're more focused about how he looks then that probably says more about what you're looking for than anything about him.

And that's fair enough. We don't all like the same things. But his look really shouldn't detract from all the things he has to offer and all the reasons why people buy into him.

And I really don't even see why him changing his look a bit would make him any better for you. Either you get him or you don't. Him weighing less and dressing differently isn't going to enhance the other points.

9 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I think hiding the negatives with Eddie Kingston is the opposite of what he should do, when the negatives are what pull people to him.

You can still use all the positives of where he’s against the grain, while still keeping his moobs hidden 

• Paid Members

Yeah, the thing I see often with Kingston is his fans and detractors are generally saying the same things about him - there isn't a secret where you 'get' him, it's just whether he connects with you or not. If he got nice gear and got a nice set of abs he'd probably end up looking completely unremarkable.

1 minute ago, Louch said:

You can still use all the positives of where he’s against the grain, while still keeping his moobs hidden 

I just don't see how he looks as a bad thing. It's not like you're looking at him in his gear going "Wow that lad's chiselled" until he pulls down the straps. 

• Paid Members

Another PPV and another AEW title match that was just there. Adam Cole's debut was fun but he's done nothing since and was never a threat for the big title. The match with Page was fine but the feud has been a nothing feud. Page has had his redemption story and title run but for the greater good it's probably time to stick it on one of the big boys, Punk, Danielson or Moxley. That's where the action is at. That's no disrespect to Page, his matches are perfectly fine but there's nothing more than that going on with him. 

• Paid Members

I haven’t watched the show, nor will I, but I’m very thankful for what it’s created - several WWE diehards tempted to give the show a go, now complaining on Twitter that the crowd “overreacted to everything.”

Can you imagine being so brainwashed for so long, being used to listless crowds that have seen the same old shit, that you don’t recognise when talent are over and that the crowd is actually up for the product, to the point you criticise it as “overreacting”?

GOD DAMN, those AEW fans! Enjoying their Sports Entertainment TOO much!