AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I find it really odd that people are talking about AEW on a pro wrestling message board in 2022, and they watch the week-to-weeks and PPVs, and they've got Hangman Page avatars and they are talking about how Forbidden Door needs Kenny Omega and Kota Ibushi...

These same people haven't seen an Okada match? He's been heavily involved in MOTY discussions for the past ten years, and his best matches are readily and easily available to watch right now with a few mouse clicks, and these same people are talking about Okada's "first impression"?

Sorry guys, I don't buy it. It just doesn't hit the ear right.

But if I told you that there was a 5 star match on Impact last week, how many members of the board would genuinely check it out and how many would probably not bother as they don't watch the show week to week and aren't inclined to care?

People are pretty tribal when it comes to wrestling, moreso than they'd like to admit at times.

• Paid Members

It's worth remembering that AEW having a reputation for good debuts is almost entirely based on CM Punk and Bryan Danielson turning up, both of whom were the hottest free agents imaginable, and were incredibly well-known to a US audience. Meanwhile, almost every other debut has been regarded as okay through to a mess - don't forget the Butcher and the Blade stuff, or how Hangman was seen after his first few appearances, or how many people took a solid year to 'get' Kenny Omega, or even how Miro was handled.

Okada's debut was, perhaps, underwhelming, but I'm not sure what expectations some were building up. He turned up to a big pop to rescue the top babyface in the company against, realistically, the top two heels in either company, before immediately taking them both on at the same time. I don't buy that this is 'Hall of Fame level worthy of shit' either. The challenge of bringing him in, and explaining him, and also advancing a week-to-week story that he clearly wasn't available for until last night... that's a lot. And would have been a LOT easier if he was champion rather than losing it right at the start of the build. It's also worth bearing in mind that the reception seems to be broadly positive amongst those that already know Okada - like, he wasn't misrepresented. He's just unlikely to be someone that wows you at first glance. He's someone that, over time, you realise just how good he is to the point where he gets more and more exciting.

Completely agree with @BomberPatthat people aren't being given enough to differentiate this many introductions at the same time. And it's definitely a detriment. Especially when they're constantly debuting people from ROH as well. Assuming there's a plan for ROH and the NJPW stuff isn't a one-and-done deal, both these things will almost certainly improve.

Again, I would LOVE to know what's been going on behind the scenes with all this, and the inter-company politics, because I suspect it's been a mess

Edited by Chris B

Jay White and Adam Cole undercut TK and NJ's President to announce Forbidden Door. Makes them a big deal and links them to the event.

Post Double or Nothing Punk is challenged by Tanahashi. With an immediate rematch against the guy that beat him ruled out by the Tanahashi challenge & later Punk injury. Hangman could have easily reverted to anxious millenial cowboy with no sense of direction. An interim title challenge, having just been the real world champion, would have fed into his insecurities.  Instead he targets NJPW's top dog and champion, the legendary Okada.

Cole makes everyone aware that Okada might not be champion at Forbidden Door. His best mate Jay White is facing Okada and as the newly crowned Owen Hart Cup winner it's Cole that deserves to be the IWGP title challenger at Forbidden Door.

Jay White pops up the next week with the IWGP title in tow. Heels it up by saying neither one of AEW's top stars are deserving of a title shot at Forbidden Door. Pissing off both prospective challengers and creating animosity between Cole & White.

Week of the PPV Hangman gets a win with Cole there on comms to steal the limelight. Post-match looks like Cole will once again set himself as the IWGP title contender but is immediately interrupted by Jay White. White once again rejects both guys as challengers, Leads to a 2on1 beatdown of Hangman with Cole teasing a turn on White. Then the surprise entrance of Okada. Crowd goes off. The defacto babyfaces clear the heels from the ring. Whatever power Jay White thought he had in matchmaking turns out not to be the case and the suits book the 4 way, or White's ego has been so bruised he accepts all challengers. 

Don't think its ideal but a story has been told. Would rather have the 4 way exhibition of everyone's best spots, than the forced attempt at epic singles match(es) that could have been (eg. Okada v. Scrull @ All In)

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

But if I told you that there was a 5 star match on Impact last week, how many members of the board would genuinely check it out and how many would probably not bother as they don't watch the show week to week and aren't inclined to care?

People are pretty tribal when it comes to wrestling, moreso than they'd like to admit at times.

Fair point.

Well if it is your first time seeing Okada, it kinda sucks that it's gonna be in a 4-way match, and it also sucks that the 4-way match involves Adam Cole and Jay White. Okada vs Hangman would've been a straight-up barn burner.

12 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Fair point.

Well if it is your first time seeing Okada, it kinda sucks that it's gonna be in a 4-way match, and it also sucks that the 4-way match involves Adam Cole and Jay White. Okada vs Hangman would've been a straight-up barn burner.

Don’t put Jay White in the same bracket as Adam Cole, he’s 10 times the performer Cole is.

Ugh, it's just dawned on me that the mystery man might be Johnny Gargano. I don't have anything against the guy, and fuck, I like him far more than Cole, Fish and O'Reilly, but I hate watching the company slowly morph into Triple H's NXT. 

That said, I don't particularly want to see Cesaro either. I don't want to see any new wrestlers. 

Out there shout for the mystery man, someone who can have a technical match with a ZSJ and then be hidden and protected in a cage brawl, and doesn’t mean we get shitty Cessaro in the mix - Shibata 

‘I have found the one person I trust to take my place at Forbidden Door. The one person I trust to take my at place at Blood and Guts.

‘The only person I know in the entire world who will take it to Zack Sabre Jr on a technical level, and then go and kick Chris Jericho’s head in at Blood and Guts. I have found that one person, and you are all going to be astounded by what he does in AEW.’

toru-yano-shrug.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&

3 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

I find it really odd that people are talking about AEW on a pro wrestling message board in 2022, and they watch the week-to-weeks and PPVs, and they've got Hangman Page avatars and they are talking about how Forbidden Door needs Kenny Omega and Kota Ibushi...

These same people haven't seen an Okada match? He's been heavily involved in MOTY discussions for the past ten years, and his best matches are readily and easily available to watch right now with a few mouse clicks, and these same people are talking about Okada's "first impression"?

Sorry guys, I don't buy it. It just doesn't hit the ear right.

Good wrestling matches are ten a penny in 2022. I can watch good to great wrestling matches multiple times a week, for free. If a wrestling company wants people to part with £20 or whatever for a PPV, we need more than "these will be some good matches".

I can't wait for Forbidden Door to be over and Dynamite to go back to focusing on the AEW roster and stories. I will watch Forbidden Door, or at least some of it, but I am not staying up until 5am to do so.

Edited by 69MeDon

55 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Fucking Hell, JR needs to go. Mistake on mistake, sounds either disinterested or petulant. No thanks.

To be fair, it’s the first time since AEW’s inception where his performance consistently matches the quality of the product.

On a separate note, penny for MJF’s thoughts. Absolutely ice, ice cold.

Listened to mox on Renees pod tonight, interesting him saying that Khan has nixed a lotta matches he was due to have in new Japan, so gives a bit of sight into why new Japan haven’t given much this go around 

• Paid Members

I found it kind of odd that having presented this show as a collaborative dream card (on which AEW wrestlers are challenging for NJPW titles, nonetheless) they suddenly started talking about Moxley having to defend AEW against Tanahashi winning the interim title like it was some kind of invasion.

Otherwise, top work on zooming right in on the 9 year old kid chanting "shut the fuck up" at Christian.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Statto said:

top work on zooming right in on the 9 year old kid chanting "shut the fuck up" at Christian.

Especially the kid realising and immediately looking at their parents to see if they were in trouble. Fantastic.