AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

Finally got round to watching this last night.

I didn’t mind the Blood & Guts Match itself, although it definitely didn’t need to go 46 minutes. It was certainly better than New NXT vs Old NXT from the end of last year though, and judging by the ratings the match certainly seems to be a draw.

JR- “I don’t know much this thing weighs but it must be well north of a tonne”
Taz - “yeah, like I was saying, its over 15,000lbs, that’s insane”

Yes it is Taz, because that would be close to 7 tonnes.

qnDawX5GV5aJ0y_uY3db-7fMAcw=.gif

I'm quite happy I never watched NXT now. I get to avoid the all the supposed retreads. Most of the people seen as NXT guys I tend to think of as indie guys that disappeared for a few years.

Speaking of ratings. I've seen it said that Dynamite has hit a record high on ITV4. It tends to be a rough 50/50 in terms of live vs. time shifted

• Dynamite 24/06 = 188,000/8th
  • Dynamite 17/06 = 171,000/13th
  • Dynamite 10/06 = 164,000/10th
  • Dynamite 03/06 = 175,000/17th
  • Dynamite 27/05 = 182,000/7th

• Rampage 21/06 = 93,000/24th
  • Rampage 14/06 = 107,000/23rd
  • Rampage 07/06 = 91,000/35th
  • Rampage 31/05 = 73,000/48th
  • Rampage 24/05 = 75,000/42nd

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

I'm quite happy I never watched NXT now. I get to avoid the all the supposed retreads. Most of the people seen as NXT guys I tend to think of as indie guys that disappeared for a few years.

Speaking of ratings. I've seen it said that Dynamite has hit a record high on ITV4. It tends to be a rough 50/50 in terms of live vs. time shifted

• Dynamite 24/06 = 188,000/8th
  • Dynamite 17/06 = 171,000/13th
  • Dynamite 10/06 = 164,000/10th
  • Dynamite 03/06 = 175,000/17th
  • Dynamite 27/05 = 182,000/7th

• Rampage 21/06 = 93,000/24th
  • Rampage 14/06 = 107,000/23rd
  • Rampage 07/06 = 91,000/35th
  • Rampage 31/05 = 73,000/48th
  • Rampage 24/05 = 75,000/42nd

Any idea on the ITV numbers?

Tonight has all the potential to divide opinions. I see they've made Wardlow v. Scorpio a Street Fight for the title. A main event gimmick match done to cover Wardlow's limitations could be a coronation moment. A randomly added stip as an excuse for a screwjob finish isn't going to help anyone.

31 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Tonight has all the potential to divide opinions. I see they've made Wardlow v. Scorpio a Street Fight for the title. A main event gimmick match done to cover Wardlow's limitations could be a coronation moment. A randomly added stip as an excuse for a screwjob finish isn't going to help anyone.

Isn't it more likely - or at least equally - to work around Scorpio's injury? Which, actually, also points towards Wardlow taking the belt. In any case, Wardlow absolutley has to win.

• Paid Members

I’ll be stunned if the Street Fight stipulation doesn’t result in Wardlow running through the entire American Top Team. Lambert himself is probably getting a powerbomb. He’ll pile them up and pin all of them. Even for as wobbly as AEW’s booking has been these past few months, I have complete faith they know what the right call is here. Wardlow is lifting that belt above his handsome head tonight.

48 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

Isn't it more likely - or at least equally - to work around Scorpio's injury? Which, actually, also points towards Wardlow taking the belt. In any case, Wardlow absolutley has to win.

I'd forgotten about Scorpio carrying a knock. Makes me a little more confident in a Wardlow win. Until it happens though i'm going to be paranoid about shenanigans.

A bit of a middling episode this week. 

The Ruby Soho angle was weak - she seemed to purposely put her hand in the perfect position to have the car door slammed on it. I mean, I know they don't want to have men-on-women violence or have Jericho's cronies hold her in place - and that's a good thing - but there must have been a better way of doing this. 

Also, I was against the creation of the All-Atlantic title, but if you're going to do it, at least acknowledge it on TV at some point after you've crowned the first champion. I know Pac's on his travels right now, but surely there's scope for a pre-recorded promo, or video package?

Miro going after Malaki Black is interesting, although I'm not sure I want Miro to turn face just yet. In the absence of MJF, he has it in him to be the best heel in the company. 

Talking of MJF, I hope they bring him back soon. Dynamite feels like it's missing something without him. 

It'll be interesting to see how Wardlow does as TNT Champion. I'm still cynical about his long term potential, but we'll see. 

Christian is doing an excellent job in his new heel role, although I hope the addition of Matt Hardy to the storyline is a short-term thing to keep him busy while Jungle Boy isn't around. I'm really excited for the eventual Christian/JB confrontation, and subsequent match. 

Jade Cargill was brilliant once again this week. She feels like a much bigger deal than Thunder Rosa, and I really do think they should bite the bullet here and put the Women's World Title on her in addition to the TBS belt. 

• Paid Members

I felt like there was a lot of good stuff on the show but the layout/pacing was fucking weird and sapped all the momentum out of it. They put 3 in ring promo and 2 backstage promo segments on in a row for some reason. Also the crowd were either dead or not mic'ed up properly (probably the latter, AEW are often bad at this). I know AEW lays out the show based on algorithms and statistics but if you switch around just a few of the matches/segments here you get a much better TV show.

3 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Christian is doing an excellent job in his new heel role, although I hope the addition of Matt Hardy to the storyline is a short-term thing to keep him busy while Jungle Boy isn't around. I'm really excited for the eventual Christian/JB confrontation, and subsequent match. 

Agreed that it was a middling show. It was okay. Just not one I'll remember much of.

Regarding Christian - that's probably the first time I've felt like it was something WWE get ripped to shreds for i.e. using someone's personal problems and yet there's been comments saying oh wow how amazing.

Now I've never been that critical of those sorts of things but it's just interesting to see how different companies do it and get different responses.

3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I felt like there was a lot of good stuff on the show but the layout/pacing was fucking weird and sapped all the momentum out of it.

I agree - and I think formatting is often the route of AEW's problems. They could easily have given everything time to breath by making the Dark Order segment an off-air thing. 

42 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Regarding Christian - that's probably the first time I've felt like it was something WWE get ripped to shreds for i.e. using someone's personal problems and yet there's been comments saying oh wow how amazing.

Now I've never been that critical of those sorts of things but it's just interesting to see how different companies do it and get different responses.

I wasn't mad about the original Luke Perry line, partly because it was crass, partly because it didn't feel like something someone would actually say. This is often the case when WWE do it, I think. As far as I can remember, the only time they've really managed to pull this off was during the Punk/Jeff Hardy feud. 

The stuff about rehab, I didn't mind it. It's not an implausible thing for someone to say, even if it's a really nasty place to go. As long as MJF-lite isn't Christian's character going forward (and I can't imagine it will be), I'm personally fine with it.