AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

I guess the Christian stuff works if it leads to the good guys getting revenge. If not it’s lazy cheap heat when the whole I’ve been setting you up since you beat me was a decent enough story

It feels like heel Christian is just playing the part of a stop-gap MJF (with Luchasaurus as his Wardlow) while the real thing is gone. Speaking of which, they ought to get a move on with that - the void he's left in this company isn't worth the slow-burn effort of playing off this thing like it's a shoot.

Edited by TheLoon

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Louch said:

I guess the Christian stuff works if it leads to the good guys getting revenge. If not it’s lazy cheap heat when the whole I’ve been setting you up since you beat me was a decent enough story

Nah. Completely disagree. It doesn’t matter whether the good guy wins in the end or not. It’s still cheap, crap, crass, desperate, low-on-ideas shit. “EDDIE’S IN HELL!” was awful whether Mysterio won in the end or not. The shit involving Paul Bearer’s death was rubbish whether Taker got the three-count or not. It doesn’t make a difference.

I hate it. It’s such unnecessary, carny bollocks. Any company deserves both barrels whenever they resort to it. What’s worse is that AEW proved the last few years that pro-wrestling doesn’t have to be like this. It can be fun escapism where nice things happen and you have a good time. You don’t need to be reminded of all the dark, horrible shit happening behind the scenes, or be made to feel pissed off in the wrong assumption that it leads to HEAT. Has anyone ever actually wanted to see a heel lose when they use material like this? It just takes me out of it completely.

The most legitimate heat anyone has got in this industry over the last few years was when Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks dressed like idiots and pretended they weren’t supportive of their pretend troubled friend. I OPENLY WEEPED when Hangman took his head off. That’s pro-wrestling at its best. It can be whatever you want it to be, so why not make it as fun, happy and as far away from horrible realities as possible? Feels like a completely different company to the one AEW has become.

Edited by Supremo

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Infinity Land said:

Honestly, I haven't missed MJF. Not sure what he'd be doing with CM Punk gone and would just be undercutting Wardlow as he goes through the teething problems of finding himself as a singles.

I think CM Punk being gone would be brilliant fodder for MJF. He could spin gold out of the fact that Punk came in (presumably on a better contract than MJF's), this outsider who hasn't been there since the beginning somehow got a title match, and won it only to have to give it up straight away because he's old/a wreck/not as good as MJF. You'd have a ready made Punk vs MJF rematch for the title waiting to go when Punk did return.

There were two mentions of MJF on this week's show*, which is more than we've been getting and gives me hope he will be coming back. I didn't fully appreciate him when he was there but he's a massive miss now he's gone.

*well, one mention during the Wardlow entrance and then a sort of allusion by one of the Young Bucks to "better than you and you know it" when the crowd wanted FTR.

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Feels like a completely different company to the one AEW has become.

It IS a different company, or a different roster at least.  The top of the card is now all WWE alumni.  They've fought and clawed their way through the WWE system where anything goes, and they've brought that with them - and AEW lacks a strong booking presence to tame that.  When you're in WWE, for better or worse you work in Vince's system.  In AEW it's up to the wrestlers, and as I've said before that's a good and a bad thing.

Cracking main event, Brody King is impressive and it was the sort of knock-down fight I enjoy.  Less impressed by Penta Black being jobbed out and losing his mask AGAIN, to someone I'd never heard of presumably to sell a PPV of a company I'm not actually watching the TV of.

Edited by Loki

3 hours ago, Supremo said:

Nah. Completely disagree. It doesn’t matter whether the good guy wins in the end or not. It’s still cheap, crap, crass, desperate, low-on-ideas shit. “EDDIE’S IN HELL!” was awful whether Mysterio won in the end or not. The shit involving Paul Bearer’s death was rubbish whether Taker got the three-count or not. It doesn’t make a difference.

I hate it. It’s such unnecessary, carny bollocks. Any company deserves both barrels whenever they resort to it. What’s worse is that AEW proved the last few years that pro-wrestling doesn’t have to be like this. It can be fun escapism where nice things happen and you have a good time. You don’t need to be reminded of all the dark, horrible shit happening behind the scenes, or be made to feel pissed off in the wrong assumption that it leads to HEAT. Has anyone ever actually wanted to see a heel lose when they use material like this? It just takes me out of it completely.

The most legitimate heat anyone has got in this industry over the last few years was when Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks dressed like idiots and pretended they weren’t supportive of their pretend troubled friend. I OPENLY WEEPED when Hangman took his head off. That’s pro-wrestling at its best. It can be whatever you want it to be, so why not make it as fun, happy and as far away from horrible realities as possible? Feels like a completely different company to the one AEW has become.

Does topical comedy bother you or just wresting real life references? 

• Paid Members

Topical comedy! Haha! Luke Perry died years ago! Hardly topical.

I don’t like shit, cheap, desperate, low rent material in any form of entertainment. Maybe you need to let Ricky Gervais know your secret to success though. Just let a trans person pin you at the end, Rick! Saves all material!

What makes Edge Lord Christian extra shit is that neither the act nor the storyline needs it. There’s a lot of great stuff being completely overshadowed by his worst Vinny Mac-inspired, HEAT-seeking tendancies. The slow burn storyline was great, Christian’s delivery has been brilliant, heel Luchasaurus is an inspired direction, the Dapper Laughs turtleneck is a phenomenal look and all the creepy references to Jungle Boys’ mum would work great on their own. It’s all there. And then he ruins it with shit like, “LOL DEAD DAD,” “LOL, YOUR BROTHER IS AN ALCOHOLIC,” and, “LOL, REMEMBER THAT LAD WE FIRED?”

Didn’t Tony Khan admit to Christian being one of his all time favourites when he brought him in? I think we can add Christian to the Cody Rhodes pile as another one that needs Tony to reign him in, not let him do whatever he wants and tell him when he’s displaying WWE brainworms.

Edited by Supremo

8 hours ago, Supremo said:

I totally get the escapism point, but on it taking you out of it, I find that curious, because for me it does the opposite.

Whenever they go to the reality/shooty lines, it locks me in more, because if we're meant to believe Christian is this slimy bastard, why wouldn't he go for that low-hanging fruit? Especially in this age when we're clued in on so much, it makes complete sense for Christian to piss off Jungle Boy by invoking the name of his dead dad, or for him to needle Matt Hardy by bringing up Jeff and his sobriety issues. To NOT mention those things that everyone knows about, it's like "oh, Christian's towing the line, that's right, it's a show." Having him say the worst things makes me suspend that disbelief.

• Paid Members

The most dastardly heel move on the show was pulling Max Caster's mic out of his hand. Also Bowens reaching out for one final scissoring from Daddy Ass was heartbreaking stuff. Gonna miss that catch phrase. Loved Bowens' short and sweet tweet after the show "Et tu, Daddy Ass?" 

So glad they've pulled the trigger on this and done it on the A show, I bloody love The Acclaimed.