AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Are Proud & Powerful still officially a team? They've got Diadora trainers coming out in two days but haven't been together in ages.

Santana got badly injured during the Blood and Guts match - although he seemed genuinely unhappy with where he was at the time, and it seemed like they were quietly shelving the team. Might be that this is no longer the case. 

Wasn’t the commentary team teasing that Ortiz might be considering turning his back on Eddie following one of the House of Black moments a couple weeks back? Proud & Powerful were one of the reliable enjoyable teams for a a good while. 

Eddie & Ortiz v. House of Black turning into a potential feud did make me wonder if Santana could make a return. I mean 3v2 might need someone to even the odds. Although it is TK we're talking about so "Homicide is All Elite" might be forthcoming.

There were signs going into last year that all things may not have been rosy. Santana made the point that he was looking to take more independent dates as a singles. Approaching Blood & Guts he did the occasional countdown on dates to September 1st(?) Which people took for his contract expiry date. Then after his injury, office gossip Konnan made sure to reel off everything he'd heard on his podcast about the dissension between Santana & Ortiz.

Isn't the rumour that Santana wanted to do more outside AEW, because he felt they weren't being used as well or as much as he felt they should be, but Ortiz was happy for them to re-sign and continue as a team in AEW, and that they actually quite seriously fell out over that?

• Paid Members

From what was said at the time, they weren't even on speaking terms before Santana got injured due to their disagreements. Its a shame, Proud and Powerful were brilliant and a team you could really get behind, unfortunate that they never got the run they deserved at the time. 

• Paid Members

There was definitely a weird period before the injury where they weren't even appearing on screen together. It was very noticeable. Hopefully they've patched things up. I love Santana as a singles but not sure there's currently space for him, as a tag and trios there's more options for him right now.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

there was a story a while back that Santana and Ortiz both attended a gig by Brody King's band, so hopefully they've either patched things up a bit, or the stories of them not speaking to each other were overblown, as I'd love to see them back together as a tag team.

48 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

There was definitely a weird period before the injury where they weren't even appearing on screen together. It was very noticeable. Hopefully they've patched things up. I love Santana as a singles but not sure there's currently space for him, as a tag and trios there's more options for him right now.

I also remember that either their Auntie or mother or close relative had passed away, they took some time off and since then they didn't have the same energy as previously (which is understandable). During the Jericho feud and when Ortiz getting his head shaved, the look in his eyes has definitely changed, he genuinely looks sad and he's having to put on an act, rather than naturally perform. Kinda feel for them tbh, entertaining pair when they're lit up. 

27 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Very off topic, but is there a reason why they’re called Proud and Powerful in AEW?  It sounds like a terrible team name and a massive downgrade from LAX (I doubt that Impact would have stopped them carrying over the gimmick).

https://411mania.com/wrestling/santana-and-ortiz-on-coming-up-with-proud-and-powerful-name/

Santana on who came up with the Proud and Powerful name: “It’s a collection. It was us and Bodega Bamz, who did our entrance, and he has a crew called The Tanboys. We all represent the same thing; hard dudes coming from New York City representing our Latino culture. It was a collection of ideas.”

Ortiz on the name: “We want to bring a positive light to Latino culture and not just Latino culture. Proud and Powerful, we want to make it more than just Latinos or Puerto Ricans. It’s everyone that doesn’t feel represented. You should represent yourself. Us representing ourselves and our culture is a huge part of our success. That’s what we want to do show people. Because we are proud, we became powerful. And now we’re living our dreams.”

Unlike EC3 or Broken Universe I can see why they wanted to change and not take the LAX name with them. It's not like they were the original LAX. It had often been more of a stable than specific tag team, which meant it could be something that Impact could dip back into at any point. On paper Daga was still a member in Impact when Santana & Ortiz left having only joined that summer.

I tend to think of LAX as Konnan's gimmick more than anything as he's usually been one of the constants.