AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I think his point still stands. He's a fun promo, would have loved 40 seconds of him calling Bryan a dickhead and dragon bollocks with a mic.

Exactly.

I’m a fan but that’s because I’ve seen him elsewhere and I know what he’s capable of. Having THAT be his introduction was just crap. Especially when you’re trying to sell a match between him and a mystery opponent in a few days and there’s so many other NJPW guys on the show.

They’d have been as well just doing a video package.

On another note, did Danielson’s promo set off major alarm bells for anyone else? It felt like he was saying “I’m not cleared to wrestle but I feel fine”. As much as I like him, he does have a history of lying to Doctor’s etc. I really hope he’s not going to push himself to come back at the expense of his health.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

So would I. He's clearly been doing some good promo work recently, but it was the comment i took issue with. AEW's biggest misstep with this is not doing more stuff on YouTube and directing people there. You cannot in 3 hours of TV a week really get over how big and important some of these guys are, so use other tools at your disposal. 

Missed this in my last post somehow.

I’ve got to disagree. They absolutely should be able to get people over with three hours of TV, and they have done up until now.

The problem is they’ve brought so many NJPW guys in at once and, aside from Jay White, haven’t let them actually DO anything to set themselves apart. They also haven’t given them near enough time. Why are they announcing matches now with only a few days to go? 

ZSJ is so good and has such a unique style that he’d be able to get over quickly IF they let him actually do something. Chucking him out there to do nothing with a few days to go just seems like such a waste. He just looked like any other guy. 

We should have had at least a road to YouTube special a week in introducing people as they appear. They have access to new Japan footage, interviews can be recorded internationally to be spliced in. Especially with the English speakers 

• Paid Members

I find it really odd that people are talking about AEW on a pro wrestling message board in 2022, and they watch the week-to-weeks and PPVs, and they've got Hangman Page avatars and they are talking about how Forbidden Door needs Kenny Omega and Kota Ibushi...

These same people haven't seen an Okada match? He's been heavily involved in MOTY discussions for the past ten years, and his best matches are readily and easily available to watch right now with a few mouse clicks, and these same people are talking about Okada's "first impression"?

Sorry guys, I don't buy it. It just doesn't hit the ear right.

Oh, and the surprise opponent for ZSJ and B&G is William Regal, isn't it?

EDIT: Just read this back for the 6th time now and I mean no ill will towards anyone with this post, I do find it genuinely odd.

Edited by Accident Prone

8 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I find it really odd that people are talking about AEW on a pro wrestling message board in 2022, and they watch the week-to-weeks and PPVs, and they've got Hangman Page avatars and they are talking about how Forbidden Door needs Kenny Omega and Kota Ibushi...

These same people haven't seen an Okada match? He's been heavily involved in MOTY discussions for the past ten years, and his best matches are readily and easily available to watch right now with a few mouse clicks, and these same people are talking about Okada's "first impression"?

That's exactly why people are disappointed though.

For all the "good in Japan" jokes we've had about blokes that end up in WWE over the years, we all know Okada IS that good. Whether you've seen a few matches or none at all, you can't escape knowing who is he and how he's held in such high regard in the industry.

So to have him trot out on Dynamite in a last minute shitty casual appearance for a 4 way clusterfuck at an already underwhelming PPV.. that doesn't hit right.

You only get one chance to make a "first" impression when you're turning up somewhere like this. And it was shit.

13 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I'm assuming this is referring to me, but I've not said that. 

13 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

You wouldn't happen to be Tony Khan, would you? I'm pretty sure that's how he views things. But I'm not sure why this surprises you. Having a Hangman Page avatar doesn't mean I have any interest in Japanese wrestling, and watching AEW doesn't mean that any of us are going to be seeking out the latest from New Japan or Stardom. It's true that posting on a wrestling forum probably does mean you know who Okada is, but being aware of someone doesn't equate to knowing anything about them, or even having any interest in what they do.

He may have had a "six star match", but I didn't care enough to watch it. I need emotional investment in a match or a character in it to enjoy what's going on, and I'm sure a lot of people on here are the same. 

If you don't buy that people here haven't seen an Okada match, I don't know what you'll make of this - not only have I not seen him wrestle, I had no idea what he looked like, and that episode of Dynamite was the first time I'd ever actually seen him, period. (I was, obviously, aware of the name)

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, DavidB6937 said:

So to have him trot out on Dynamite in a last minute shitty casual appearance for a 4 way clusterfuck at an already underwhelming PPV.. that doesn't hit right.

You only get one chance to make a "first" impression when you're turning up somewhere like this. And it was shit.

Not denying any of that. The 4-way is a bad idea (the card desperately needs a couple more main event/upper-card singles matches and you've got two ready made with there), Okada didn't seem thrilled to be there and the PPV is underwhelming and won't impress anyone who isn't a fan already.

I just find it odd that dorks like myself on an AEW-centric wrestling message board in 2022 haven't seen a single Okada match.

2 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

If you don't buy that people here haven't seen an Okada match, I don't know what you'll make of this - not only have I not seen him wrestle, I had no idea what he looked like, and that episode of Dynamite was the first time I'd ever actually seen him, period. (I was, obviously, aware of the name)

Again, I just find this ODD. I'm not trying to start a fight with anyone or be insulting (apologies if I am) it's just odd coming from pro wrestling message board users in the year of smartphones and smart TVs in the year of our Lord 2022. Definitely a "me" thing, clearly.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

If you are referring to me mentioning Omega and Ibushi, but never seeing NJPW or Okada, I watch WWE and AEW when I find the time (which isn't often these days). I know Omega through watching AEW, had no knowledge of him prior to this and I know of Ibushi from the Cruiserweight Classic and YouTube videos explaining the Omega / Ibushi relationship. It isn't out of the realms of possibility that people posting on message boards in 2022 don't watch every aspect of wrestling imaginable. 

Just because something is a MOTY candidate, doesn't mean everyone actively searches them out. To some of us, this WAS the first impression of Okada (or second, as I learned earlier he was in AEW as Okato). This storyline HAS been the first impressions to most of the NJPW talent. 

There is definitely a split on this matter, between those who don't watch Japanese wrestling, and those that do. 

EDIT: @RedRooster said it better.

Edited by Nick James

Just now, Accident Prone said:

Again, I just find this ODD. I'm not trying to start a fight with anyone or be insulting (apologies if I am) it's just odd coming from pro wrestling message board users in the year of smartphones and smart TVs in the year of our Lord 2022. Definitely a "me" thing, clearly.

Not at all, no apology necessary. I think we all watch wrestling for different reasons. We all want the matches to be good (I imagine), but if there's no storyline behind it, or if I'm not invested in one of the wrestlers involved, I don't typically care. 

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Oh, and the surprise opponent for ZSJ and B&G is William Regal, isn't it?

That was my first thought; I don't know how much he's capable of working a match, but the fact that he's been given a win/loss record on the AEW roster page suggests that they intend to book him at least once, and they're both matches that he can work reasonably safely. But apparently Excalibur mentioned that it will be the newest member of the Blackpool Combat Club, which makes me think it's Claudio coming in.

I think even if you know who Okada is, and can get excited about the prospect of him having a good match, AEW haven't really given us a reason to care about him having this potential good match. They've ummed and ahhed about what the match is, and it all still seems pretty confusing. I don't really have a reason to care about it, in terms of how Okada relates to Jay White, or Adam Page, or Adam Cole, or whoever. It's just a match that is happening. It might be a very good one, but we don't know that until it happens, and we need to buy the PPV to find that out. They haven't really given us a hook to sell us on the match yet, as far as I can see.

That's sort of the issue with the Forbidden Door build in general. I don't mind a bit of assumption of knowledge - I've said before, it's on the promotion to tell you that someone's a big deal, and if the audience trust the promotion, they tend to go along with it. "This guy's a major star in Japan" has been used as a selling point on American wrestling shows since the 1960s, because "they have their own top stars over there" really wasn't a difficult concept to get your head around before WWE started convincing everyone that you only count if you've been on a Wrestlemania. But that works when you're bringing in one or two people from Japan, not a whole show's worth - they've not done enough to differentiate each of the NJPW wrestlers from each other, and given us individual reasons to care about them or the matches they're in, and where they have tried to build that interest, they've done it by booking them in matches on TV, which dilutes the appeal of Forbidden Door as a special one-off attraction where NJPW vs. AEW matches take place.

On one hand, I'm glad they're not going down the Invasion/RAW vs. Smackdown route of having everyone forget their previous storylines and just team up based on what promotion they work for to do a big "NJPW vs. AEW" show, but on the other, that would on some level have been an easier sell. By going down the route of integrating NJPW talent into AEW stories, the onus is on them to do more explanation than if it had just been a battle of promotions. It feels more like a Japanese interpromotional show than an American one, but we shall see. I think it's actually shaping up to be a decent card, it's just been a bumpy road getting there.