Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, lightningxlock said:

A Covid related gig question here. How are people finding returning to live events? I personally haven’t been to a show since February 2020 so I’m feeling some trepidation about dipping my toes in again. I’m feeling like I need to just take the plunge soon. I’ve got Chuck Ragan on the 1st May and Tool the following evening. Are people being considerate at shows? Anybody masking up?

I've been to a couple of gigs since restrictions lifted and it's just like pre-covid. Very few masks and obviously very difficult to distance in a packed venue. 

Edited by Dead Mike

Can’t speak for gigs, I’m at my first for nearly 3 years next week, but been to the theatre a couple of times recently. 
Sanitisers at entrance and screens up at bars, but other than that it’s like things never happened. I wore my face covering (and will be next week), but next to no-one else seems to be wearing them now

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I'd say it's 90% like pre-Covid. At a few of the gigs I've been to, the band/artist have signs up requesting that people wear masks, and you'll get a minority who oblige. Some places are also card only at bars/merch. Other than that, though, it's pretty indistinguishable from the way back when of 2019.

I still wear my mask at all these things. It's not ideal, obviously, but one bonus is that it muffles my singing so I'm less anxious about bothering people.

It's been a bit of a tricky one for me to wrestle with as being a diabetic I'm considered higher risk. Since re-opening I've been to a couple of gigs (Laura Marling @ O2 Institute - 1500 capacity, and Shed Seven @ O2 Academy Birmingham - capacity 3900). For both, anyone wearing a mask was in the massive minority and essentially everyone was carrying on as if Covid didn't exist (although Laura Marling hardly gets the crowd bouncing anyway!). I personally chose to not wear a mask for the gig itself in the end as I would have got little protection seeing as no one else was wearing one, and chose to stand at the back/side where it was a little quieter people wise. Moving forwards it definitely makes me think twice before buying tickets as to whether I really, really want to go and see them! 

On 3/28/2022 at 2:31 PM, lightningxlock said:

A Covid related gig question here. How are people finding returning to live events? I personally haven’t been to a show since February 2020 so I’m feeling some trepidation about dipping my toes in again. I’m feeling like I need to just take the plunge soon. I’ve got Chuck Ragan on the 1st May and Tool the following evening. Are people being considerate at shows? Anybody masking up?

About 15 and counting since January, biggest was Bastille packed into a small night club. 

Masking out the window, some will use hand sanitiser though and respect those who do want space etc. 

Take as many precautions as you can want to and make space where you can.. 

Otherwise enjoy. Live music has been an absolute god send following a torrid few months. 

Before the last set of restrictions were limited they were checking negative LFT or vaccine passport on the door, that seems to have changed as the gigs i've been to since that change have had no checks - I think the venue's info still claimed they would check that so just a heads up their info might not reflect the current situation.

Having said that I went to a film + talk last week and they were handing out masks on the door as the venue still had a mask policy...

A lot of the venues i've been to have improved air con / ventilation - you may be able to find if that's the case.

It's mostly just like things were before in terms of behaviour but as others have said it is worth it.. I've been going to stuff since last summer and it's amazing to be able to do that both in terms of the music experience and the communal experienece. Having said that I can work from home and live on my own so am able to be fairly cautious about what I do after the gig for the next few days (obviously I could be asymptomatic + negative LFT but yeah..)

• Paid Members

Going to see Beck in June in Manchester. He's been on my bucket list for a while. I am quite excited. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

a top notch week of gigs for me last week, as I saw McLusky on Wednesday, supported by JOHN, first time seeing the latter, first time in more than ten years of McLusky. They were, as expected, brilliant and it was a lot of fun.

Even better than that, on Sunday we went to see Sparks! I mentioned in one of the movie threads that we watched the Sparks Brothers documentary at the beginning of the week - I got curious as to whether or not they were on tour, and discovered they were playing in London that very week on a twice-rescheduled tour from two years ago. It was completely sold out, and resales were going for close to £200, but managed to get two tickets at face value two days before the gig. 

Fucking hell, they were phenomenal. The best gig I've been to in years, and I'm tempted to say one of the best gigs I've ever attended. Brilliant setlist, incredible energy, just a completely joyous experience from start to finish, the only times I wasn't grinning from ear to ear was when I was singing along at the top of my voice. Russel Mael is just a superb frontman, and Ron Mael is an actual genius. 

• Paid Members

Went and saw Bowling For Soup last night in Bristol because I've had them on my bucket list and loved them for near 20 years now. 

It'll never be a standout vocal or live show but the energy them and the crowd had was bloody amazing. Really felt like being at a gig pre covid. 

After a fab Ben Ottewell/Gomez (Accoustic Set) in Blackpool the other week, I gatecrashed a Don Letts DJ set on Sunday night, which was very good. The audience was very white though to the point it was utterly bizarre. 

Few local bands lined up in the coming weeks but nowt bigger on the horizon at the moment. 

2 hours ago, patiirc said:

After a fab Ben Ottewell/Gomez (Accoustic Set) in Blackpool the other week, I gatecrashed a Don Letts DJ set on Sunday night, which was very good. The audience was very white though to the point it was utterly bizarre. 

Few local bands lined up in the coming weeks but nowt bigger on the horizon at the moment. 

Was like that when I saw JPEGMAFIA not long ago. buit tbf he's got a lot of his fanbase from Fantano and Reddit..

Feel like you get more white people at big name hip hop / reggae gigs in general. I'm sure there's a whole bunch of societal reasons for that.

Also last time I saw Don Letts play he was bashing out reggae covers of Adele and stuff, was pretty white student union bar music anyways

Edited by organizedkaos