Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

• Paid Members

Went to see Devin Townsend within the majestic confines of the Royal Albert Hall on Easter Sunday. A fantastic set, featuring some real deep cut selections from his back catalogue (something that annoyed some who attended as he did the "hits" the night before, but for me was tremendous). Around a third of his set was stuff from Ocean Machine, including the likes of The Death of Music and Bastard, which sounded incredible in that setting. 

What a venue the RAH is, I quite often found myself just marvelling at my surroundings, and occasionally working out where the wrestlers came out from in 1991. Great gig. 

Going to see Tool in Manchester on Monday night. Bit the bullet and bought a couple of "platinum" tickets right by the stage. £100 each which I think might be discounted since the concert is on Monday as I am sure they were significantly more expensive last time I checked?

Also secured tickets for Rage Against The Machine in Edinburgh in August.

Yes I am over 35 years of age. 

5 hours ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Hard to say really since they haven't done any gigs in over a decade. I saw them headline Download in 2010 and it was absolutely incredible. As far as I know they were quite ropey on the 2007 dates though. 

I saw them at Download that year too. They were certainly better than they had been at Leeds Festival two years earlIer, although I still didn’t come away as a fan.

On 4/30/2022 at 9:25 AM, Egg Shen said:

Nabbed a ticket to see Idlewild perform The Remote Part in full in November, that'll be lovely.

One of my favourites. That and 100 Broken Windows are just fantastic records. Bit gutted that the Scottish date is part of Connect festival and not a headline show somewhere. Mogwai and The National are playing the same day which actually sounds a bit of a treat now that I think about it. 

Tool was 100% worth the money and the effort to drive 4 hours to Manchester and 4 hours back right after. My seat was so good that I felt like I was actually on the stage right beside Justin Chancellor. Been thinking about this for a couple of days now and I think its probably the top 3-5 shows I have ever seen.

Few weeks left until Meshuggah. One of my favourite bands playing my favourite venue (Barrowlands in Glasgow). Cant wait to pull faces like I have just sniffed the eggiest fart imaginable while also banging my head in a rhythmically odd way. 

Need to look out for some good shows between August 5th September 9th. My good pal who moved to Canada is over for a visit then and would be good to get to something as we first started going to gigs together when we were about 12 years old or something. 

50 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Tool was 100% worth the money and the effort to drive 4 hours to Manchester and 4 hours back right after. My seat was so good that I felt like I was actually on the stage right beside Justin Chancellor. Been thinking about this for a couple of days now and I think its probably the top 3-5 shows I have ever seen.

Glad you had a great time, but that setlist looked poor on paper. Without sounding like Homer shouting at Bachman Turner Overdrive, I get that they're going to play the newer stuff, but there was a lot of it there. Only one song off of 10,000 Days, nothing from Undertow? Come on! I’m sure visually it was all very impressive, but if I’d known that setlist in advance I would have been  as enthusiastic. 
They have been changing the setlist on different nights of the tour, so it’s a bit pot luck as to what you get really.

I’d have popped huge for The Patient though, I love that song.

1 minute ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Glad you had a great time, but that setlist looked poor on paper. Without sounding like Homer shouting at Bachman Turner Overdrive, I get that they're going to play the newer stuff, but there was a lot of it there. Only one song off of 10,000 Days, nothing from Undertow? Come on! I’m sure visually it was all very impressive, but if I’d known that setlist in advance I would have been  as enthusiastic. 
They have been changing the setlist on different nights of the tour, so it’s a bit pot luck as to what you get really.

I’d have popped huge for The Patient though, I love that song.

The core of the setlist is more or less the same but they are swapping in things like Opiate, Sober, Ticks and Leeches and Right in Two.

I read an interview with Adam Jones and he said the setlist pretty much comes down to Maynard. Logic being that Adam, Justin and Danny can play any of their songs on any given night but Maynard cant necessarily sing them.

QUESTION FOR ALL YOU LONDON TYPES

Is it feasible to get from the o2 Arena to London Euston in around 45 mins?

Apparently the weeknight curfew at the venue is 11pm and the last train I could get would be 11:50pm from Euston. 

Lets just say for arguments sake the gig goes all the way to the curfew (probably wont be far off that). Google reckons I can get trains at North Greenwich at 23:01, 23:05, 23:08 and 23:11 and get to Euston via Waterloo or Green Park.

On paper its feasible if all goes smoothly but is it a nightmare to get out of the o2 and onto a train?

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

QUESTION FOR ALL YOU LONDON TYPES

Is it feasible to get from the o2 Arena to London Euston in around 45 mins?

Apparently the weeknight curfew at the venue is 11pm and the last train I could get would be 11:50pm from Euston. 

Lets just say for arguments sake the gig goes all the way to the curfew (probably wont be far off that). Google reckons I can get trains at North Greenwich at 23:01, 23:05, 23:08 and 23:11 and get to Euston via Waterloo or Green Park.

On paper its feasible if all goes smoothly but is it a nightmare to get out of the o2 and onto a train?

In terms of travel time, it is absolutely possible. In terms of getting out of the O2 and onto a train, shouldn't be too difficult, as the venue's almost next to the station - just comes down to how bad the crowds are/how early you leave, etc.