Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

• Paid Members

I know there's been a thread in the past, but #megadethtothreads or whatever.

Just got back from the 50th Anniversary Experience of Tubular Bells at the Royal Festival Hall. Mike Oldfield, oddly, wasn't performing (I think he may have permanently retired from live performances), but the band was led by the music director he's worked with for the past 30 years, and the whole thing was great. A few different tracks in the first one, including the well-known Moonlight Shadow, and the second half was the entire Tubular Bells album, and a troupe of circus performers doing all sorts of tumbling, contortion, dance, human pyramids, feats of strength, cyr wheel, silks, etc. Really fun. We weren't allowed to film or take pics, so sadly couldn't get anything of the actual performance.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. Oldfield always made sure to have a relatively well-known person as "Master of Ceremonies" for the famous bit where each of the instruments are announced in turn for the final run of the main track. First TB was Viv Stanshall, TB2 had Alan Rickman, TB2003 had John Cleese - this one had Sam West!

IMG20210812222443.jpg

IMG20210812192455.jpg

IMG20210812192451.jpg

IMG20210812224717.jpg

IMG20210812224656.jpg

Edited by Carbomb

Always been a massive fan of Tubular Bells and a few years ago I had the pleasure of seeing Tubular Bells for Two. It's two incredibly talented chaps running around on stage recreating Tubular Bells absolutely note perfectly using loops and playing everything themselves. Well worth checking out if they play here again.

Tubular Bells is one of those things I always forget I love until I listen to it again. I go through phases every few years of just losing myself in it.

I do miss gigs. I'd say my favourite memory of a gig is probably Muse at the Royal Albert Hall in 2008. Yes, I know they're very much a marmite band, especially as they've 'developed' over the years but there's no doubt they can put on a great live show. Something just felt really special that night. I'd never been to the RAH before. It was very much one of those 'for the fans' gigs and Megalomania on the organ will always be one of my favourite live performances of anything ever. I'd say that coupled with the early Wembley Stadium gigs were my prime Muse period before their albums and setlists became very hit/miss for me personally.

Also Stereophonics album preview at The Garage in London in 2005. Not exactly one of my favourites but was just a cool experience to see them in a small venue and get to hear their new stuff which felt a lot different at the time.

My anxiety means I don't go to nearly as many gigs as I wish I could. I'd love to see System of a Down live for example, or Slipknot.. and I really wish I could've seen Queen live but the closest I got to that was seeing 5ive do We Will Rock You with Brian May and Roger Taylor at Party In The Park which brings me as much pain as it does joy.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, rockbus said:

Always been a massive fan of Tubular Bells and a few years ago I had the pleasure of seeing Tubular Bells for Two. It's two incredibly talented chaps running around on stage recreating Tubular Bells absolutely note perfectly using loops and playing everything themselves. Well worth checking out if they play here again.

That sounds incredible. Will definitely check that out.

One thing I've always wondered about is why Tubular Bells II almost never gets played live. To me, whilst the first is the original and an awesome piece, the second is the best of the trilogy, and probably even better suited to live performance. I'd definitely pay to see that.

• Paid Members

My first gig this year was Eliza Carthy, in a lovely church. It was a bit weird, as before full reopening, so very strict social distancing, mask-wearing and restricted seating and whatnot. It was a folk gig, so I was dragging the average of punters down by a couple of decades. Really great fun, but not being able to sing along or really get into it made it a bit of a weird experience.

The next few lined up are Perturbator, Shonen Knife, and Richard Thompson over the next few months. Even before Covid I hadn't been going to anything more than little local gigs regularly for a couple of years, so getting to proper gigs again is quite exciting. 

I've got a few things lined up which I'm excited to get back into. Seeing Enter Shikari and The Australian Pink Floyd later this year and next year got Hundred Reasons and Dinosaur Jr. Seems to be quite a few decent bands including Hull on their post Covid touring schedule which is nice 

• Paid Members

My first gig is Lebrock on Sept 3rd. Can't wait but even if I'm fully vaxed the covid thing is still making me nervous. My last gig was Monster Magnet back in Jan 2019. Way too long for my liking. I only do about 4 to 6 a year typically but damn did I miss them when we couldn't do it.

• Paid Members

Should point out that the Royal Festival Hall wasn't full - people were relatively spaced apart, and we were asked to keep our masks on where possible for the duration of the performance.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

GO!! You go to a gig. You do not “Do” a gig, just like you go to a place, you do not do Madrid. 

I hope that old yelling cloud didn’t get damaged. 

I agree. A performer 'does' a gig. A punter goes to it. It was a fat thumbed swype-o that I couldn't be bothered to fix because it was easily understood. Apologies for contributing to the continued death of the UKFF.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

I'm going to see New Order in a few weeks with Hot Chip and Working Men's Club as support. Also going to Manchester Psych Fest the weekend before with headliners Stereolab. I'll be at a Warehouse Project day and night festival the weekend after New Order.

I went to see techno artist Amelie Lens as my first indoor gig for my friend's birthday a few weeks back. I've never really given techno a go so it was a bit of a thrust into the deep end of first gig back. They said they'd be checking for negative lateral flow/PCR test results or proof you'd had Covid in the last 6 months upon entry but they didn't check with us at all which was pretty concerning.

Been to a few local gigs recently including a Tony Wright (Solo Set) with Harrison Rimmer as support. Weighing up the new Reef tour as not seen them play since Rides in the late 1990s I think. 

I listen to a local radio show based on Bearded Theory at Catton Hall, which is making me miss festivals somewhat, so may seek out something if I can. 

T'other half has Sam Fish, Beth Hart and Jack Savoretti coming up. It's great to be back in a house where live music is a must :)