Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

I've seen Metallica many, many times over the years. Full disclosure - I am a bit of a fan boy and have got live bootlegs from probably every tour they have ever done. The only times I've felt Hetfield sounded ropey was some of the 2003/4 Madly in Anger With the World Tour dates and some of the World Magnetic dates. Those were large scale tours though and I think its just a case of his voice not being able to hold up to that schedule.

He's sounded great since they scaled back the touring and had more days off in between dates etc. Some of the vocal performances on the Worldwired tour were brilliant.

Usually its Lars people are moaning about (or Kirk Hammetts hilarious backing vocals).

I went to see Biffy Clyro the other night which was my first gig, I think, since December 2019 when I saw Max and Iggor Cavalera do an early Sepultura material set in a student union. Going from that to 18+ months of nothing to a huge outdoor gig with tens of thousands was a bit jarring. The band were great but I cant deny I felt quite anxious being around that many people again.

I saw British Sea Power on Saturday night at Stockton Georgian Theatre and was a very good show. It was a bit weird being stood with 300 people in a tight room but I managed to snag a decent vantage point on the balcony to allay my worries.

Next up is Nick Cave and Warren Ellis at the newly refurbished Stockton Globe Theatre which holds 3,000 people.  It will be only the second concert held there in 47 years.

• Paid Members

mentioned in the Gig Etiquette thread but i saw Biffy Clyro Thursday night in Cardiff at some makeshift outdoor venue.

Predictably great, it leaned heavily on the new album though which im still not familiar with, then surrounded the new songs with crowd pleasers. Biffy are abit of a juggernaut these days, established festival headliners and play a show of this show with ease. Crazy to see how far they've come. Not many UK bands deserve their success as much as Biffy Clyro, they still play as passionately as they did back when they were playing clubs.

Edited by Egg Shen

I’ve just realised that I totally missed the rearranged Himalayas gig I’ve had tickets for since before the pandemic. Never mind, at £8 a pop I’m not too out of pocket and I’m sure I’ll see them again.

Eagles of Death Metal at the Tramshed in Cardiff for me next. First gig since pre-Covid and I’m utterly shitting it to be honest. 

3 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Are there still big issues with American artists coming over here? I got an email saying Poppy is rescheduling her tour and that wasn't meant to be until early next year.

I’ve noticed a few are playing mainland Europe but aren’t visiting the UK. It has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit though. Not a thing. 

3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

It has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit though. Not a thing. 

In this instance it probably has more to do with the fact that the UK is riddled with the delta-variant and the UK government has an extremely slack arse when it comes to doing anything about it. In fact, its main priority seems to be facilitating holibobs for the riddled.

5 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

@Slapnuti'll be seeing Himalayas support the Manic Street Preachers tomorrow night, any good?

Yeah I’m a big fan, gutted I’m not going tomorrow. Check out Sigh on a Hurricane, it’s the first song of theirs I heard after stumbling upon it on a playlist a few years back, real good stuff.

8 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Are there still big issues with American artists coming over here? I got an email saying Poppy is rescheduling her tour and that wasn't meant to be until early next year.

Earlier today I saw that Royal Republic have had to pull out of the tour with Skindred due to the costs involved, and they did mention Brexit in their statement

Saw them headline at Download in 2019, which I think was the last gig I attended. Absolutely phenomenal and I said at the time that I’d be there in a heartbeat for a tour.
On reflection I’ll decide once I know how much tickets are. I didn’t buy Fear Inoculum (pretty much exclusively a streamer now, only buy my absolute favourite bands) because the CD was ludicrously expensive. They’re one of my favourite bands but I won’t be taken advantage of

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

saw the Tiger Lilies at Wilton's Music Hall on Saturday, doing a tribute to Cole Porter. The venue was phenomenal - a knackered old Victorian music hall with paint peeling off the walls, lovely stuff - and the best possible setting for the Tiger Lilies. I'd seen them three times before, but not for a few years, and this was my first time seeing them as a two-piece, and the lack of drums really didn't impact on things at all - if anything, it was the best I'd ever seen them, and the first time I'd seen them with an audience that seemed to really get them, the first time I've ever seen them do an encore. A long way away from when I saw them in 2010 and half the audience never came back after the intermission. 

Public Service Broadcasting tonight, Nick Cave and Warren Ellis next week. Not really fussed about the former, really looking forward to the latter, as it'll be my first time seeing Nick Cave live, after some 15+ years of listening to him.