Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

Cancer Bats have just announced some dates for September.

1st - Bristol, Fleece 
3rd - Southampton, The Joiners
6th - London, The Dome
8th - Oxford, O2 Academy
9th - Nottingham, Rescue Rooms
10th - Milton Keynes, Crawford Arms
11th - Birmingham, Mama Roux’s
12th - Liverpool, Arts Club
13th - Manchester, Rebellion
14th - Swansea, Sin City
15th - Hull, Tower Ballroom
16th - Leeds, Key Club
17th - Glasgow, The Garage

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Off to Slam Dunk tomorrow, and I'm royally fucked off that the two bands I had the most interest in (Spanish Love Songs and The Used) both pulled out this week. I could handle one or the other, but both?! Too late to get my hotel and train fare refunded, and the fest has made no attempt at smoothing it over.

So the line-up is still fine (The Bronx, Hot Mulligan, Amity Affliction, Alexisonfire or Dropkicks, Sum 41 will be my main route) but I would not have splashed out all that cash if those two bands weren't on the bill.

I don't buy The Used's excuse of "mental health" either considering they cancelled their Slam Dunk appearance last time because they were offered more money elsewhere. They're still pegged on to do their US tour next month though, weirdly enough. Makes me think there's some anti-vax knobbery going on.

I could have the time of my fucking life at the fest tomorrow but I'm done with Slam Dunk after this. Throw in them leaping into bed with the NFT crypto nonces and they've pretty much phased out a pretty loyal customer in myself.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

let us know how it goes @Accident Prone I was gonna goto Leeds but sacked it off with the cost of hotels and that.

Will do! I'm sure it'll be grand once the beer soaks in. I've re-read my post in the forty minutes since and it sounds incredibly shit and like a 'kfogg and Hitman' redux in hindsight. I don't want to come off sounding like a grumpy prick, because that's not how I'll feel when I'm on the train tomorrow morning, but it has been genuinely disappointing form from the fest organisers the past two weeks.

On 5/20/2022 at 8:14 PM, SuperBacon said:

Run The Jewels in two weeks.

Friend got us backstage passes (it's not KFogg no) so I'm going to try and get a photo of me with Killer Mike and El-P doing the RTJ 'fist and gun' hands for peak lame whiteness. 

Cannot wait though.

Didn't get to meet them sadly, but did have a chat with Jason Sudeikis so that was nice. Didn't tell him I think Ted Lasso is shit, that would've been unnecessary, and he was quite lovely.

Sound at Brixton is still absolutely crap though. 

Mate is going to see Elton John at the San Siro tonight. Don't think I've ever been so jealous of a gig.

• Paid Members
On 6/2/2022 at 12:10 PM, Accident Prone said:

Off to Slam Dunk tomorrow…

I’m going too but mainly for Alexisonfire. My mate got free tickets and I’m only 20 mins away so we’re heading up later this afternoon.

Dalek next Saturday for me on the run up to Supersonic, trying to win a weekend ticket to that but if not I'll be going on the Saturday mainly for Thou, Bismuth and Nadja. Anyone else is a bonus.

If money wasn't an issue I'd get a hotel and go Friday, too for The Bug and Flowdan.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Sound at Brixton is still absolutely crap though.

ive never been to Brixton, but poor sounding venues really put me off going to certain gigs. I'd never goto Alexandra Palace again for example if i can help it, awful cavernous mess.

The Docklands in London was notoriously shit too before it closed.

• Paid Members
On 6/2/2022 at 12:10 PM, Accident Prone said:

Off to Slam Dunk tomorrow, and I'm royally fucked off that the two bands I had the most interest in (Spanish Love Songs and The Used) both pulled out this week. I could handle one or the other, but both?! Too late to get my hotel and train fare refunded, and the fest has made no attempt at smoothing it over.

So the line-up is still fine (The Bronx, Hot Mulligan, Amity Affliction, Alexisonfire or Dropkicks, Sum 41 will be my main route) but I would not have splashed out all that cash if those two bands weren't on the bill.

I don't buy The Used's excuse of "mental health" either considering they cancelled their Slam Dunk appearance last time because they were offered more money elsewhere. They're still pegged on to do their US tour next month though, weirdly enough. Makes me think there's some anti-vax knobbery going on.

I could have the time of my fucking life at the fest tomorrow but I'm done with Slam Dunk after this. Throw in them leaping into bed with the NFT crypto nonces and they've pretty much phased out a pretty loyal customer in myself.

A mate and I were supposed to go to the one in Leeds in 2020, but obviously events transpired against us and we couldn't go. It was the year NoFX were doing the Punk In Drublic tour and we were so excited for seeing so many bands on that day. Unfortunately we couldn't make it to the rearranged date. Dropkick Murphys will be good. I saw them on Paddy's day one year and they were cracking.

Off to see the Lancashire Hotpots with my Mum tonight. Apparently Stu Penders & Spladoosh aren't supporting and it's going to be a marathon 3 hour Hotpots show. My Mum's going to see them at Darwen Live tomorrow, but that's more because Hot Chocolate are headlining. She's also already declared that we're going to probably end up seeing the Hotpots in November as well, whch would mean I'll have seen them as many times as Soulwax.

I've still got a really nagging feeling in the back of my mind that something will happen and I won't be able to see Beck at Victoria Warehouse a week on Wednesday. Although it might be more one of those "I can't believe I'm going" kind of feeings like I had in the weeks leading to seeing Daft Punk in 2007.

• Paid Members
On 6/2/2022 at 12:42 PM, Egg Shen said:

let us know how it goes @Accident Prone I was gonna goto Leeds but sacked it off with the cost of hotels and that.

Fest was great until some fucking scumbag shithead nicked my phone during Dropkick Murphys. Took it right from my front jeans pockets in the middle of their set, and they got several others too as the floor was littered with empty phone cases (including mine). Same thing happened to me at Slam Dunk Leeds in 2015, so the organisers clearly do not give a fuck about attacking this issue.

It put me in a right bad mood and I headed back to the hotel without seeing Sum 41 because I didn't want to bring my mates down to my level. Ruined what was, up until that point, a great day; beer was flowing, sun was shining, the bands sounded good. That's it for me and Slam Dunk now though. They could announce a line-up on par with Riot Fest and I still wouldn't give them the money.

Fuck Leeds, too. Thieving bastards.

Edited by Accident Prone

40 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Fest was great until some fucking scumbag shithead nicked my phone during Dropkick Murphys. Took it right from my front jeans pockets in the middle of their set, and they got several others too as the floor was littered with empty phone cases (including mine). Same thing happened to me at Slam Dunk Leeds in 2015, so the organisers clearly do not give a fuck about attacking this issue.

It put me in a right bad mood and I headed back to the hotel without seeing Sum 41 because I didn't want to bring my mates down to my level. Ruined what was, up until that point, a great day; beer was flowing, sun was shining, the bands sounded good. That's it for me and Slam Dunk now though. They could announce a line-up on par with Riot Fest and I still wouldn't give them the money.

Fuck Leeds, too. Thieving bastards.

Sorry to hear about your phone getting nicked.

You say that it happened before (again, sorry to hear about that) and that the organisers don’t care, but what do you think they should do to combat it? Outside of having plain clothed security/police in the crowd itself, what can they realistically do? I don’t mean any disrespect by that and as I say I’m sorry to hear that it happened to you (and seemingly a number of other people), I’m just interested to hear what you might consider a solution