Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

I saw Rambling Jack Elliott at Taylor Johns/The Tin years back and it was said in no uncertain terms that he’d stop playing if there was any flash photography. Most of his set, unsurprisingly, was his rambling stories but they throw you out for talking sometimes there. 

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

You looking at the Bob Dylan shows in October? The venue he’s playing in Hull announced the show yesterday and it’s the first time in a long time I’ve heard of a ‘Phone Free Show’ happening

That third paragraph is the biggest load of tosh going. I imagine it’s more so that people don’t post vids online showing 81 year old Bob struggling to even mumble his way through his set

That's the very one. 

To be honest, I like the idea of a phone-free show. Again, the number of folk around me at gigs like Liam Gallagher etc who stood there with their fucking phones in the air filming was ridiculous.

We didn't need them in the 90's, and we don't need them now. Strike this move down as one for the moaning old pricks! 

• Paid Members
On 7/8/2022 at 10:40 AM, gmoney said:

Literally second row from the back of the upper deck at the O2. Has anyone here ever sat up there? Am I going to shit myself? 

The answer is yes, for about 10 minutes before I settled down, and then again if anyone needs to go past me. 

52 minutes ago, gmoney said:

No big deal, but they brought fucking Taylor Swift on halfway through Gasoline and mashed it up with Love Story. She got a Road Warrior pop, never experienced anything quite like it. 

AMAZING!!!!

Just got back from seeing Björk do an orchestral gig at Jodrell Bank. It was good and everything, but the lack of crowd-pleasers in the first half of the set meant that a lot of people seemed to get quite restless. The crowd quickly realised she wasn't just "doing the hits" and that she wasn't even doing recognisable versions of the songs she was actually playing. A complete lack of drums all the way through meant there weren't even any beats to at least nod your head along to, so the majority of the crowd just started talking amongst themselves. One particularly vile bitch soured the mood for everyone nearby when she very viciously kicked off at a couple of gay lads who dared to give each other a quick kiss, but she was dealt with by a chant of "you're a cunt" which didn't quite fit the lovely string section who were going full pelt at the time. The show would've been amazing in a nice concert hall or something, but a field full of pissed-up 50 year olds shouting at each other and spilling their pints over childrens' heads definitely wasn't the right place for it. There weren't even any nice lasers or light shows or projections on the big telescope that the headliners on previous days of this festival have had. Bit of a dud, unfortunately.

Thinking about it, I've only seen Björk live once before and that was shite as well. It was a "secret" gig in Manchester in about 1998. She turned up at 1am in a sweltering nightclub so packed that you couldn't even get a drink or go for a piss, did 6 brand new songs that nobody knew on a stage that was at floor level so nobody beyond the first 2 or 3 rows could even see her (apart from a bit of hair bobbing around when she jumped up and down), then she buggered off. I love her lots but fucking hell, zero out of two isn't a great track record, is it?

On 7/14/2022 at 8:47 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Nah I think you certainly need them for a Liam Gallagher gig because how else are you going to get an Uber to get you away as quick as possible. 

Any Oasis/Liam Gallagher fan knows that you make for the exit as soon as the vocals for Champagne Supernova hit. You've then got around 7 minutes of a head start on the pissheads.

9 hours ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

I love her lots but fucking hell, zero out of two isn't a great track record, is it?

Ha! Conversely every time I’ve seen her has been incredible! One of which is still in my top five gigs. Maybe because they were specifically Bjork shows and not a festival appearance. 

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Maybe because they were specifically Bjork shows and not a festival appearance. 

This was definitely the problem with last night. I'd definitely go to see her again if it was just Bjork, so everyone knows exactly what they're getting. I'd probably prefer it to be a full electric/electronic thing as well, in all honesty. Not that the orchestral thing was bad - it was really fucking good - but she's got enough lively stuff in her catalogue that would be amazing to hear done "properly".

1 minute ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

This was definitely the problem with last night. I'd definitely go to see her again if it was just Bjork, so everyone knows exactly what they're getting. I'd probably prefer it to be a full electric/electronic thing as well, in all honesty. Not that the orchestral thing was bad - it was really fucking good - but she's got enough lively stuff in her catalogue that would be amazing to hear done "properly".

When I saw her Biophilia show, it was a small in the round venue. Another time was orchestral and I overheard a few people saying they wished she closed with Declare Independence. Yeah, as great as she is, that wouldn’t have worked. It worked at Biophilia, partly because the Icelandic female choir were going nuts during it!