Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

From the videos I'd watched on Youtube of these orchestral gigs, I was expecting at least a choir and loads of fancy outfits and stuff like that. Just something to look at, really. It felt like a really stripped-down version of what's been done elsewhere, which was a bit disappointing. The stage was tiny so I'm guessing there probably just wasn't room for them to have been able to do very much. They'd definitely mentioned there would be "projection mapping" on the massive telescope though, which didn't happen. Loads of people seemed to bugger off when it got dark and things didn't really kick off in the way that you'd imagine a big name headlining the last night of a festival probably might have done. If there was a bit more stuff going on I think the crowd might have been a bit more engaged, which would have helped the general vibe a lot. It felt like standing in a very busy Waitrose where 90% of the customers were off their tits.

Saw Alabama 3 on Saturday and despite some technical difficulties with Larry Love's microphone and the general unorganised manner of the venue (no one actually checked my ticket!) It was a really good show. The support act, Big River were great as well, not sure if they are a local (Hull) band but I haven't been able to find much about them online.

• 1 month later...
  • Awards Moderator

Saw Michael Kiwanuka in the shadows of Edinburgh Castle with my old man the other week. It was incredible.

Coming up:

- Murkage Dave in London, October

- Florence + the Machine, Manchester, November

- Springsteen, Villa Park, June

- Springsteen, Munich, July

Ridiculously excited for all.

Getting tickets for Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbot on Thursday for Llandudno in November. I could write an absolute essay about why The Beautiful South (while not as great as The Housemartins) rule. A marvellous band. 

People call them MOR, and anyone who says it hasn’t got a clue.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Butch2000 said:

Getting tickets for Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbot on Thursday for Llandudno in November. I could write an absolute essay about why The Beautiful South (while not as great as The Housemartins) rule. A marvellous band. 

People call them MOR, and anyone who says it hasn’t got a clue.

I'm tempted by the London date. I've never seen Heaton live in any capacity, and I really should. I was born in Hull, so was all but issued with a Housemartins album at birth. 

Completely agreed on the MOR thing - they're long overdue a proper critical reassessment, after years of being seen as the sort of band whose albums you could get in Woolworths and WH Smiths. There's no one else like them, and Heaton as a songwriter is everything that people used to talk up Morrissey as being - turning kitchen sink drama and working class stories into brilliant, witty, perfectly crafted pop songs. 

I worked for HMV when The Beautiful South’s greatest hits was released and it shifted loads. The ultimate “Sing along knowing all the words without listening to the words” band. Heaton said at the time they were nobody’s favourite band but everyone’s second or third favourite so having all the hits in one place was too tempting for people.

A number one recording artist, a left wing voice on Question Time, a pundit on Football Italia. An absolute national treasure. 

Was raised with Beautiful South in the background so they'll always have a place in my heart beside the likes of Crowded House as a proper autumn sun through the net curtains band that remind me of my parents and growing up. 

If you want MOR Weller, Liam and the rest of the cool gang have you covered. 

• Paid Members

I was looking at getting a ticket for Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott as I love the Beautiful South. They were the first band I saw when I moved to London in 2003. However, I was a bit dubious about buying tickets until I heard the new album. 

Also, I got tickets today for the Taylor Hawkins Tribute Concert on Saturday (and gone to the theatre twice in the last 2 weeks) so I don’t think I can afford any more tickets this month.

Edited by Monkee

I saw Ichiko Aoba tonight, a solo artist with just a guitar and her vocals but holy shit it was the most beautiful show I've been to. Her voice is just so perfect, I fanboy'd a little little and got a tote bag signed and got a picture with her.

Oh, and the Beautiful South are proper class.

Double post but just got asked to set up the pre/inbetween artists music for Richard Pinhas of Heldon...! He's playing a tiny little show in November at the local record store with Attrition supporting.

I feel proper underqualified, I may like a lot of experimental electronic music but I'm not sure how much of my noise will go down even if Richard has worked with Merzbow a fair bit.

54 minutes ago, Butch2000 said:

I went to Haydock Races on Thursday, got bollocksed and thought I’d do it tomorrow.

All fucking sold out by Friday!

No Paul and Jacqui for me. Billy Bragg is the support too.

Set up an alert on Twickets for resale tickets. There always is, the only thing is you have to be bloody quick when that email alert comes through!