Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

6 hours ago, Sphinx said:

I turned down watching Limp Bizkit there because the memories of watching my first gig of theirs ten years before was so strong that I didn't want to tarnish it, and I assumed Halifax would be a half-full gig in a small venue on their tour. Thinking maybe I made the wrong decision now.

I was somewhere to the left of the stage in this with my friends. I was absolutely knackered the next day😂

• Paid Members

Got back a couple of hours ago from Show Of Hands' last ever London gig in their retirement tour (they're doing their sign-off gig at the Minack Theatre after this). Superb as always, great musicianship, sublime voices, and brilliant stage presence. Hard to believe those guys are in their early 70s. Was at Bush Hall in Shepherd's Bush, an old music hall - nice diddy little concert venue with good acoustics.

Just got back from taking my eldest to see Mitski. She was utterly captivating. 

I can't remember the last time I saw a performer where you cannot take your eyes off them at all for one second.

Honestly one of the best performers I've ever seen, and that's the absolute right word for her, performer. Everything means something. 

Her band were unbelievable as well. 10/10

26 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I might be seeing her in August, she's playing All Points East and I wanted to see Ethel Cain who's also there.

Hoping to take eldest to that but its 16 and over and I'm sure she'll be fine, but it's a concern.

Only two of the APE dates are 16 and over and to make that one of them is...a choice.

• Paid Members

I saw Ville Valo at the Albert Hall last night (as I’m still a teenage emo at heart/still have a slight crush on him). He did a mixture of solo songs and HIM songs. I’ve been to a lot of gigs, spanning many different genres, but I’ve never heard a reaction like he got for simply walking on the stage. He got that Stone Cold pop. 

First time seeing a gig at that venue. Is the sound usually bad for gigs? It was a good show and the sound did eventually improve but it could’ve been much better. 

22 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I might be seeing her in August, she's playing All Points East and I wanted to see Ethel Cain who's also there.

Really hoping Ethel Cain does a full UK tour soon. Preacher's Daughter is such an amazing record. I saw her twice last year, opening for boygenius, and she was absolutely captivating. The younger girls in the crowd were losing their shit when she was on. Tears, screaming, the lot. Younger generations get loads of stick from older folk about not caring about things, low attention span etc. None of that at an Ethel Cain show. Their passion for her (and boygenius) was a beautiful thing to witness.