Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

15 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Yeah I've seen them a few times, they support a bunch round here and sound ace. Finished with a good bit of Cathedral worship.

They're on the same label as us, they're good lads. Got that real thick, sticky sludge sound.

13 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Was at the Conan/Wallowing show in Sheffield on Friday night. Great showing from all 3 acts (Gozer opened the night) but being shoved upstairs at Corporation because the main room was being occupied by a Mötley Crüe tribute act was a disgrace. @cobra_gordo I’d already bought the tickets before I was aware you were on the Nottingham date, otherwise I’d have come down for that one.

We tried to get on that Sheffield show too to make a weekend of it but no joy. Gozer are a cracking band, we're good mates with them too. That upstairs room is underrated. Last time we played with Conan at Corp it was in the small room downstairs and I'm assuming it would have been the same this time, even without that tribute band on. The upstairs venue is at least pretty sizeable, it's got that nice bar area and there's good sound.

I've got myself a ticket for Mannequin Pussy at The Grove in Newcastle. I'm probably gonna get the train up and stay over. Last train back to Leeds is at 22:56 so I don't think I'd make it in time. Anyone been to The Grove before? First time I'll have been to Newcastle in 14 years too. 

I went to see the Pixies yesterday and it was probably the most annoyed I've ever been at a show. The band themselves were fine (labouring through, admittedly, letting the songs do all the heavy lifting), but the audience just wouldn't stop talking very loudly the whole way through. It was a £70 ticket to hear songs they hadn't played live for over 30 years and you'd think the entire back half of the room was ignoring some naff unknown support act. I moved around a bunch and couldn't escape it. Honestly, when I was young, I was always a bit bothered that everyone used to name other UK cities as the best place to play gigs, but last night I was just like, "yeah, I definitely see it now... any audience is better than this spoiled lot".

• Paid Members

It must just be a thing now, as when I saw Soulwax last month we were right down the front, and there were two women next to us just nattering. 

Just got back from seeing The Hives on the first night of their current tour after a four-month break. I was expecting pretty much the same 15-song setlist that they've been doing for the last year or so, but they've added about half a dozen extra songs from their back catalogue. We got a few songs that haven't been played for 6 or 7 years, and one from the latest album that's never been played live before. It was strange to look at the crowd and realise that I first saw The Hives in about 2001 when I was a youngster, and now 20-odd years later there's loads of kids the same age as I was back then going mental to those same songs which are still being performed with as much energy and enthusiasm as they were back then. Absolute joy, ridiculously good fun, a truly ten out of ten evening.

• Paid Members

I'm going to see Drain tomorrow night at Rebellion in Manchester. It was originally meant to be at Canvas but that venue unexpectedly closed down a few weeks ago. Bit gutting as going ti new venue is almost as exciting to me as the gig itself. Curfew is 9.45 though, absolutely marvellous. Early curfews are the new 'free shots'. 

12 hours ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

Just got back from seeing The Hives on the first night of their current tour after a four-month break. I was expecting pretty much the same 15-song setlist that they've been doing for the last year or so, but they've added about half a dozen extra songs from their back catalogue. We got a few songs that haven't been played for 6 or 7 years, and one from the latest album that's never been played live before. It was strange to look at the crowd and realise that I first saw The Hives in about 2001 when I was a youngster, and now 20-odd years later there's loads of kids the same age as I was back then going mental to those same songs which are still being performed with as much energy and enthusiasm as they were back then. Absolute joy, ridiculously good fun, a truly ten out of ten evening.

I was reading they have set up a thing called Franc"hives". Where they personally support Hives tributes bands. Because all their gigs are sold out. They put on shows with tribute bands at reduced costs, so fans can see the next best thing.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-hives-announce-uk-tour-for-first-franchised-cover-bands-3603602

• Paid Members

The Hives are a tremendous live band.

@textonlysucks to read about your Pixies experience though. The only time ive experienced anything close to that is the couple of times ive been to Hyde Park, but that's purely based on how quiet the shows are, i'll never go back there.

I saw The Hives supporting Offspring a few years ago and they were incredible - so much energy.  Neither were a band I'd have gone out of my way to see (my friend had a spare ticket and nobody to go with) but it ended up being one of the most enjoyable gigs I can remember going to. 

On 3/27/2024 at 11:59 PM, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

I was there too! Not a fan of Leeds Academy at all but it was a great gig. I was down the front for most of it. Pelle's between song banter was absolutely hilarious. 

The last time I'd seen them was Leeds Festival 2004! I'm not going 20 years between seeing them again. 

Sunn O))) tomorrow.. I've only seen them once before and it was one hell of an experience, even with my good earplugs I could hear a high pitched squeal for two days after but I was at the barrier for the entire show.

I went to Flesh Creep's album release party on Saturday, one of the few times I've seen Centrala completely sold out and it didn't even have advance tickets. Probably the best punk band in the country right now.