Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

I saw 80’s AOR champions FM at the forum last week. They were super tight, and the sound quality that’s usually awful in that venue was excellent. Plus they played my favourite songs of theirs, so I was extremely happy, and I got to meet them all afterwards as well. Brilliant! 

• Paid Members

I attended Extreme & Living Colour at o2 Kentish Town on Monday night.

Living Colour were a cracking support, the highlight probably being a 50th anniversary of hip hop medley in the middle of the set (their bass player Doug Wimbish was a session musician on a bunch of the Sugarhill/Grandmaster Flash etc recordings). They predictably closed with Cult of Personality, which being a die hard Hangman fan I booed mercilessly (not really, obviously).

Extreme were great too, but if I were to nitpick it very much felt like I was at a Nuno Bettencourt Band gig. He's obviously a great guitar player but there's more to the band than that for me, whereas here it felt like he was unquestionably the main focus. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

After slacking towards the end of last year through a mixture of exhaustion, anxiety and money, I made it a goal this year to put myself into getting to more gigs, going back to doing what I absolutely love which is losing myself in the music and knowing I'm surrounded by like-minded people.

Got my first gig of 2024 this coming Wednesday and I'm super excited. I've absolutely loved the music of Lauran Hibberd for time and find her stage presence and lyrics so enthralling, that I'm super happy to see her live.

She's supporting Hobo Johnson who was a huge part of my playlist a few years ago and then just seemed to disappear. Super happy he's back, apparently he's been writing and performing new upcoming tracks which is great as well and the Tramshed at Cardiff is a favourite venue of mine as well to top it off.

It's a good start to 2024, got a lot planned so far and a lot of room to include more.

Screenshot_20240107-223800.png

Edited by Shy Dad

• Paid Members

Lauran Hibberd. Named because her dad spelt her name wrong on her birth certificate. Absolutely going to be a name in 2024. All she wants is a million Instagram followers and a top 40 album and at least one of those is happening. I've been a huge fan for a long time but she seems to be so much more confident and approachable on stage than she used to be.

Managed to get front row for her and Hobo Johnson as well. Live, he's fantastic, actually having a band to riff off as well as the audience, his music seems to mean more than the recordings. I don't know where his new music will go, I don't think he'll ever rediscover that initial buzz but it was fun to see him just enjoying what he was doing, riffing with the crowd and being confused by Welsh people.

Tramshed is also a fantastic venue that caters well for its disabled customers.

Now to sit in spoons until my half 12 train and not freeze to death.

IMG_20240110_201445625.jpg

IMG_20240110_210439955.jpg

• Paid Members

Booked BC Camplight again for March. He had a big hole in his trousers last time I saw him and was necking a bottle of neat gin. The only time I've ever felt compelled to send a musician a message on Twitter asking if he was OK after the gig.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Boom just got my tickets. I suspect they won't be around long.

Polish_20240202_101801406.png

On 2/2/2024 at 10:18 AM, DEF said:

Boom just got my tickets. I suspect they won't be around long.

Polish_20240202_101801406.png

I’d thought they’d go pretty much instantly but I managed to bag a ticket for the Manchester show this morning. Does seem they’ve gone now though, although See Tickets & Ticketmaster still have Balcony tickets for the London show

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Just got in from Soulwax at New Century Hall. Was a heck of a show. Probably the best of all the times I've seen them. We were right down the front. They're still doing the three drummers thing, but they had to replace Victoria Smith as she's on tour with ABBA. They did stuff from every era. It was so cool hearing how they adapted stuff like Idiots In Love and Conversation Intercom to their current style and sound. 

What I think was really good of the venue was that they had people the other side of the rail down the front giving out water to whoever wanted it, and they were handing out glasses of water as people were leaving. Heck of a night. Really good distraction from e erything that's going on with my mum. 

I've heard nothing but good things about New Century Hall. I'm hoping I'll get to see someone there soon. 

I saw Ladyhawke in Huddersfield last night. She was really good. She did the first album in full. I got her third album on vinyl at the merch stand afterwards for a quite ridiculously bargain price of £11.25! She even gave me some free Ladyhawke shoelaces too!