Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

How's everyone's 2024 gig calendar looking? I've got Spanish Love Songs and English Teacher shows in January, then Ladyhawke, The Hives, Suede & The Manics, Smashing Pumpkins & Weezer, and Pixies all to come. 

Most importantly, me and my family are going to see Bluey Live in March! 

3 hours ago, Panhead said:

How's everyone's 2024 gig calendar looking? I've got Spanish Love Songs and English Teacher shows in January, then Ladyhawke, The Hives, Suede & The Manics, Smashing Pumpkins & Weezer, and Pixies all to come. 

I saw Hot Mulligan and Spanish Love Songs in Kentish Town in September. Both Brilliant! Caught Spanish Love Songs at Slamdunk too earlier on in the year and they was awesome then aswell.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Panhead said:

How's everyone's 2024 gig calendar looking?

The Residents in January - was meant to see them last year, but missed them due to illness; it will be the second time around for me (though first in more than 10 years), and first time for my partner, who loves them. They Might Be Giants in November, a rescheduled gig from this year.

I'm sure there are others, but those are the two I can remember.

I'd say there are no real big ones outside of Slowdive and Poppy which are a day apart from each other in Feb, I'll likely end up a million hardcore shows like most years. I know there's a couple of big death metal shows around that time, too, both Frozen Soul and Suffocation.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Panhead said:

Soulwax in February, probably the Lancashire Hotpots in later spring/early summer, GLC in Preston in September. Also seeing Count Arthur Strong live in Stockport in June. 

• Paid Members

Holy moley that was a heck of a gig. Two and a half hours, and they did about ten songs. Thijs van Leer and Pierre van der Linden are getting on for 80 years old each, and have so much energy. Van der Linden in particular must be in ridiculous shape because he did some pretty impressive long drum solos. They did Sylvia, Harem Scarem, and an incredible version of Hocus Pocus which was about twenty minutes long, and included a ten minute drum solo.

The guitarist (Menno Gootjes) played some incredibly technical, masturbatory guitar solos. At times he was playing by just fretting notes, but pressing them hard enough that the string vibrated enough for the pickup to pick something up, then rather than pick or pluck the string he'd just alter his guitar's volume. At another point he played a solo by playing an open string and detuning his guitar to get the note he wanted.

Udo Pannekeet was great on bass as well. He had a six string, and at one point during his solo he was playing it like a classical guitar. 

It truly was a heck of an experience, and in such a tiny venue as well. Great atmosphere as well. 

Oh, also Thijs van Leer can play flute and organ at the same time as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Machiavellian Art for I think the fourth time last night, this time at the Tin in their first Cov gig. Never heard anything so loud in there before, apparently the sound guy wasn't the happiest but he was nice enough about it..

On top of that they had the Piper v Valentine dog collar match playing behind them.

I saw The Slates in Leeds last Friday but it was the opening band called Pennine Suite that absolutely blew me away. Three of their songs were absolutely amazing.

Then I saw Blood Command in Manchester last Sunday night. They had so much energy, it was ridiculous. 

That's it for 2023, but I've got Spanish Love Songs and English Teacher in January. Plus Ladyhawke, The Hives, Smashing Pumpkins & Weezer, Suede & The Manics, and Pixies so far for next year. 

What's some of your favourite gigs of this year? I really enjoyed both nights of boygenius back in August. Queens Of The Stone Age were really good too. 

• Paid Members

Decided to take a risk as I felt it was too good to miss and have booked tickets for Amity Affliction in Cardiff tomorrow night.

Excited to be honest but going by myself I'm expecting to be towards the back/sides unless I can sort out the disabled viewing area, but all the same nice to be back at a live gig.

1 hour ago, Shy Dad said:

Decided to take a risk as I felt it was too good to miss and have booked tickets for Amity Affliction in Cardiff tomorrow night.

Excited to be honest but going by myself I'm expecting to be towards the back/sides unless I can sort out the disabled viewing area, but all the same nice to be back at a live gig.

Nothing wrong with flying solo at gigs, but I’m with you in that when I do I’m more in a spot to watch & enjoy the show rather than get in the thick of anything.

I went to see Lorna Shore last week and managed to get a good central spot right in front of the sound-area (soundboard? Mix desk? Whatever you want to call it) and I’m glad I did as the stuff going down in the pit looked fucking ridiculous. I’m too old for that sort of shit as it is, I’m quite happy to be the person at the side of anything who jumps in to help anyone that hits the deck, but there were people throwing fucking roundhouse-kicks and all sorts of other stupid shit. They had to stop briefly because an actual fight broke out in the crowd, which I’ve not seen happen for about 20 years, least not to that scale. Usually anything that does start tends to settle down quite quickly