Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I just read this post to my partner and she loved it! She said they did the same thing at Leeds. Now she’s telling me how she saw Capdown loads and wasn’t into 4ft Fingers. She’s saying how she had Capdown stuff on her bedroom wall and that wave of nostalgia has really cheered her up and put a smile on her face. So thanks for that!!

Ahh that’s ace matey! Those British bands of the time were so hardworking. Literally on tour constantly, it was an amazing scene.

this is a great song by Capdown if you have never heard them

Lightyear were always my favourites. Steve-o from jackass did a live tour in the early 2000s and they landed a spot as the opening act.  They got thrown off the tour after about 2 days for being ‘too much’…

18 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I just read this post to my partner and she loved it! She said they did the same thing at Leeds. Now she’s telling me how she saw Capdown loads and wasn’t into 4ft Fingers. She’s saying how she had Capdown stuff on her bedroom wall and that wave of nostalgia has really cheered her up and put a smile on her face. So thanks for that!!

I remember seeing Capdown in a room above a pub back in 2001. First come first serve entry with a 50 person limit. Thinking back about it now it was probably incredibly dangerous to have that many people crammed into what was basically someone’s living room.

The local rock club, which I think @BomberPat DJed at, would without fail play Sublime’s ‘Date Rape’ followed by ‘Ska Wars’ to the point that I’m certain the mp3 it was a rip of (the club used to use two disc-man’s) contained both tracks in a single file. Every week without fail, Date Rape then Ska Wars. Not that I’m complaining, both are great songs

13 minutes ago, TibBo said:

Ahh that’s ace matey! Those British bands of the time were so hardworking. Literally on tour constantly, it was an amazing scene.

Lightyear were always my favourites. Steve-o from jackass did a live tour in the early 2000s and they landed a spot as the opening act.  They got thrown off the tour after about 2 days for being ‘too much’…

3 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I remember seeing Capdown in a room above a pub back in 2001. First come first serve entry with a 50 person limit. Thinking back about it now it was probably incredibly dangerous to have that many people crammed into what was basically someone’s living room.

The local rock club, which I think @BomberPat DJed at, would without fail play Sublime’s ‘Date Rape’ followed by ‘Ska Wars’ to the point that I’m certain the mp3 it was a rip of (the club used to use two disc-man’s) contained both tracks in a single file. Every week without fail, Date Rape then Ska Wars. Not that I’m complaining, both are great songs

Marvellous fayre!! She said that she saw Capdown all the time, they and their peers would always be guaranteed to be the support act for a bigger band. I’ve never heard of them but she is now waxing lyrical about “King Prawn”. 

45 minutes ago, TibBo said:

My 2 lasting memories of Lightyear were the time at Reading festival when two of them walked across the stage in a pantomime horse outfit while Body Count played Cop Killer and really pissed off Ice T. The other time was when the trumpet player climbed up the centre post of the tent, stuck a match stick into his urethra, lit it and attempted to play the whole trumpet solo before he burnt his knob. 

There is video somewhere of them walking into Ice Ts dressing room in the horse outfit too. Lol

That Reading when they played the big tent was amazing. One of my favorite memories. :)

They played an impromptu gig on the campsite too. 

We went to see Frenzal Rhomb in Leicester, and Neil and Chas from Lightyear randomly turned up dressed as Mr T and Bulley from Bullseye... They had filmed the video for 'Pack of Dogs' that day, and dropped in to the gig on the way back home. 

'Uri Geller Bent My Heart' is such an amazing song title lol

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, I Bent My Wookie said:

Decided to get myself a resale ticket for The Blackout in Cardiff Thursday rather than seeing them in Birmingham. 

Just feels like it'd be a more special show back in Wales after being away for so long.

Yeah, imagine that show will be pretty rowdy. The Y Plas room in Uni is a quality venue too.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Yeah, imagine that show will be pretty rowdy. The Y Plas room in Uni is a quality venue too.

Yeah I either need to hope my disability card turns up before Tuesday ideally so that I can sort out access viewing, or just accept that I'm either standing at the back or sides. 

Will be fantastic to see a lively crowd in Wales though, last few shows I've done there the numbers haven't been great and its felt like it could have had more oomph.

8 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Marvellous fayre!! She said that she saw Capdown all the time, they and their peers would always be guaranteed to be the support act for a bigger band. I’ve never heard of them but she is now waxing lyrical about “King Prawn”. 

There was a King Prawn song that I really liked. I think it was called Someone To Hate. I remember seeing the video when MTV used to do Super Rock on a Monday night.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, I Bent My Wookie said:

Yeah I either need to hope my disability card turns up before Tuesday ideally so that I can sort out access viewing, or just accept that I'm either standing at the back or sides. 

Theres a balcony in there, get up there and you'll be good to go.

• Awards Moderator

The War On Drugs announced a mini-tour the other day and we were lucky enough to get tickets for the local Uni. Seen them a few times and they never fail to deliver, so we can’t wait!

Edited by Frankie Crisp

Couldn’t really fault Bowling For Soup, Less Than Jake, and Vandoliers last night. All were tons of fun. In between sets some guy I think was called Matt Stocks was DJing classic ska punk and pop punk. Quite a few bands mentioned in the earlier chat were played. 

The only problem was us and our health. We’ve had to accept that unless we get accessible tickets, or seats, our gig going days are over. It was sold out so we were expecting it to be packed. I’ve mentioned my partner is autistic and has SPD and gigs are ok because it’s one main sensory thing to focus on. Sadly no matter where we stood, people were touching her to get past. But not a tap on the shoulder excuse me  kind of way, in a practically hugging her and stroking her arm kind of way. Just to clarify it was never a malicious or assault kind of grab, but it was too much for her and she melted down. It was so horrible for her. 

Because we were at the back I was able to get her out of there and desensitise her. After she has reset we went back in but the foyer honestly reminded me of football away days in the late 80s. It was packed with you having no choice in where you were moving. You were in the flow and had to wait for an opportunity to be able to step out. 

Something reminded me of why I love Liverpool though, a guy in front turned round and seen me with walking stick in one hand and holding my distressed girlfriends hand in the other. He ushered me in from of him and shouted in a scouse accent “let’s these through please, he’s got a walking stick” and advised me to starting twatting people over the head with it! He made sure we got to a bit of space before he went back into the crowd. Lovely fella. 

But above all, cracking night of music and we found a nice pocket where we could stand (in incredible pain, granted) and enjoy the show!

Currently up on the balcony at Manchester academy for the blackout and my God I can't remember the last time I've been this excited and ready for a show like this one.

I just got pictures with snoz and Sean Smith and got my set list from download signed from Sean.

9 fucking years I've waited for this to happen and it's fucking finally here!!!!

15 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

There’s a balcony in Manchester Academy? I thought that was all on one level 

There is it's for people with disabilities and was used for that but the view was fantastic and I ended up staying up there all night. Bar up there too I'm fairly sure it's always been there just not been a obvious or open for anyone area but yeah it was fantastic and the academy took care of us all which felt amazing 

• 3 weeks later...