Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

I don't think I've mentioned that PJ Harvey was fucking incredible the other week. She was on top form, has incredible presence, and the set design and direction was amazing - she sung from different parts of the stage for different songs, all lit perfectly, and at one point had a whole thing going on with the shadow of her and one of her backing band, so even though they weren't that close to one another, they made it look like the shadows were touching and interacting, and it's just a level of detail that's so far beyond where most artists are at. 

Set-wise, it was basically half-and-half - all of the new album, and then some older tracks, but it all flowed beautifully together. Probably my gig of the year.

 

Picked up tickets for The Residents in April - I saw them at ATP years ago, and was meant to see them last year (delayed several times due to Covid), and I was really ill so had to give it a miss, which means my girlfriend has still never seen them. Hopefully better look this time. 

Two more gigs left to round out this year - Laibach next month, and McLusky in December. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I don't think I've mentioned that PJ Harvey was fucking incredible the other week. She was on top form, has incredible presence, and the set design and direction was amazing - she sung from different parts of the stage for different songs, all lit perfectly, and at one point had a whole thing going on with the shadow of her and one of her backing band, so even though they weren't that close to one another, they made it look like the shadows were touching and interacting, and it's just a level of detail that's so far beyond where most artists are at. 

I’d noticed she had been upping that part of her performances over time, Down By The Water in particular always felt like elements were being added. Great to hear she’s still brilliant live. 

Posted

The Supersuckers were -as expected - fucking brilliant. I missed the Warner E Hodges band because I was busy eating a curry and drinking my nights allocation of three pints in a pub but round the corner but the Suckers were a brilliant as always, greatest rock and roll band in the world even when there's less than a hundred People watching

Posted
58 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Going to be very hard to say no to that Birmingham date even if it is around Download time (unless they suddenly both appear on the lineup the following Saturday/Sunday)

I’d be very surprised if they both ended up playing Download unless you put them on different days, but even then I reckon you’d only get one of them added to the bill if at all.

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I’d be very surprised if they both ended up playing Download unless you put them on different days, but even then I reckon you’d only get one of them added to the bill if at all.

And that would no doubt be Pumpkins I expect.

Glad I'm booking a solid week and a bit off for Download week for a night in Birmingham at least.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Love Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie but never really got into anything else Smashing Pumpkins did other than the odd song like that one they did for Batman and Robin or the Christmas one they did. Some of their newer stuff was OK, and I quite embarrasingly didn't mind Billy Corgan's solo country album. I bet they'd be great live though.

Posted
18 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

quite embarrasingly didn't mind Billy Corgan's solo country album

I had no idea it existed and will do everything I can to avoid hearing it. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I had no idea it existed and will do everything I can to avoid hearing it. 

I only know it because he used a couple of songs for the early NWA PPVs. 

Posted
49 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

I only know it because he used a couple of songs for the early NWA PPVs. 

Christ. I mentioned it to my girlfriend, she looked repulsed and is now YouTube ing it ON MY PROFILE 

  • Paid Members
Posted
5 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Christ. I mentioned it to my girlfriend, she looked repulsed and is now YouTube ing it ON MY PROFILE 

I'd hate to be your recommendations after this. 

I spotted that Focus are playing a gig in Blackpool towards the end of next month, and am currently trying to make arrangements to see them with my friend. I've got the Hotpots again on the 11th, then it'll be Soulwax in February. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
33 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Christ. I mentioned it to my girlfriend, she looked repulsed and is now YouTube ing it ON MY PROFILE 

That’s hard times.

Posted
On 10/16/2023 at 9:35 AM, Egg Shen said:

Well, this is lovely:

20231016_093344.thumb.jpg.68a476ab4db141ad0295c4f021acdf2a.jpg

Thought the Manchester show was at the arena but it's the new one outwards Man City's ground. It looks like a right ball ache to get to from the city centre. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...