Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

I agree that the way the ticket "allocation" for Taylor Swift has been handled is absolutely bonkers. You're basically entering a lottery and the winners get to enter the lottery to stand a chance of wining the big prize! I've never known anything like it, and certainly haven't seen any other artist/band limit access to their shows in such a way. Although I suspect it's less to do with TS and more to do with Ticketmaster. 

I'm not a massive fan, but my niece is, so I've been all over this. Got family to register for codes etc, and not one of us got one. Some of the ticket prices are quite frankly extortionate, and I think it says a lot that almost 24 hours after the final phased release of tickets none of the dates have sold out. Yet, if they become more widely available (They've got to open the release up at some point, surely?!) I'd still be there snapping up what I can to make my niece's year getting to see her. 

• Paid Members

Had the absolute pleasure of spending the weekend attending 3 shows (2 pubs, 1 upstairs room of an ex-serviceman's club) by Leroy Virgil, AKA Hellbound Glory, my absolute favourite artist on the planet right now.

IMG_20230725_183623_712.thumb.jpg.32ec71d4c32ccda58d1f17e7b29af0f2.jpg

Probably an absolute nobody to 99.99% of people, but to me this is like knocking about in the pub with Springsteen/The Levellers.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw The Hives twice today (well, yesterday now), in a fairly small nightclub (just over 900 people, one of the door staff said) in Kingston upon Thames, of all places. For one reason or another I haven't seen them live since 2002 despite them being one of my favourite bands over the last two decades, so it felt like today had been a long time coming. Tremendous stuff indeed. Crazy how they're in their mid-40s but could give most 20-somethings a run for their money in terms of stage presence, energy, engaging an audience, and just generally doing the whole "rock and roll show" really fucking well. Also enjoyed the hearse parked outside to commemorate their "mentor" Randy Fitzsimmons, whose recent death was the catalyst for their new album. Proper love how they've had this completely made up character for their entire career and they're still kayfabing it to this extent. Silly bunch of sods. They're the greatest.

7 hours ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

in Kingston upon Thames, of all places

This'll be through Banquet Records who put on some of the best small gigs in this country.

They have Burna Boy in that same venue twice this month. BURNA BOY! One of the biggest artists in the world. That will be madness.

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members

Yeah Banquet is great. They put on some of the best gigs and get some huge names in store for intimate gigs and meet and greets. The nightclub is a good setting for shows. Me and my girlfriend go quite often and would’ve gone to see The Hives last night if we didn’t have plans beforehand. Glad to hear they put on a great show. 

• Paid Members

Picked up tickets for Laibach in November, and am very excited. Never seen them before, they only play the UK every once in a blue moon, and they seem to be having a bit of a weird resurgence at the moment. Should be fantastic, and only a few days after TMBG. 

• Paid Members

Mentioned it earlier in the thread but the day is nearly upon us. Off to see DEVO in Edinburgh on Thursday and can't wait!

In a twist of fate, another band we went on the "Farewell Tour" for back in 2017, Stornoway have regrouped and are releasing a new album. They're touring in October but not sure we'll get the chance to see them.

Edited by FelatioLips

Please report back after Devo! I almost bought a ticket a few weeks ago when I was looking for an excuse to go on some sort of road trip, but opted for Amyl and the Sniffers in the same venue about a week later (partly because I've seen Devo before but not AATS, and partly because hotels seemed to be cheaper the following week).

I've not bothered going to many gigs since about 2008, after working in music for ages and getting a bit fed up of things. The enthusiasm seems to be coming back quite a bit though, and out of my current top 5 favourite bands I've either seen them all over the last couple of weeks or will be seeing them in the next few months (including the Pixies playing my actual all-time favourite album in full). It's been quite nice to rediscover the joys of live music, even though I'm now old and achey so tend to stand at the back with all the other old farts where it tends to be a bit easier to find something solid to lean against.