Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

I think the next big gig for me now is Poppy at the end of next month, I've had this ticket for well over two years now as she was meant to play like a month after Covid shut everything down. There's still a few smaller shows, 40 Watt Sun and knifedoutofexistance next week should be fun with the latter in a room with like a 40 person limit.

Then there's Richard Pinhas who I'm doing the pre-gig setlist for, should be an interesting one and then the band formally called Sutcliffe Jugend.. a very Merzbow November.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

I went to see the RPO at Albert hall play the hits of queen yesterday. Some of the songs were very good and transitioned well as expected but there were a few very pleasant surprises in there as well.

It's also made me want to rewatch battle royal at the Albert hall.

The other take away is Scott mills has clearly never heard Flash or watched Flash Gordon.

I'm meant to be heading to great Yarmouth today for the darkness, skid row & ugly kid Joe but my vans fucked and I've not been able to fix it around work and the rain 😔. 

Took my 9yo and 12yo to see Cavetown at Hammersmith Apollo. 

I don't really know him, but they are utterly obsessed.

He plays fairly innocent, inoffensive bedroom indie pop I suppose you would call it (my 12yo says he is a 'soft boi' so make of that what you will) but it's all quite engaging and inclusive. 

He was really good, and you can see why he is so popular but what was lovely was being in such an uncynical crowd.

Everyone was bellowing every word (he honestly might as well have not been singing) with such enthusiasm, using their phones as lights to hold up, and just in absolute adoration of him, it was really very sweet. I can't remember the last time I was at a gig like that.

The amount of pride flags was unbelievable as well, and very heartwarming for a crowd that was pretty much 8-18 (apart from all the perplexed, knackered parents like me)

Before he came on, they played Harry Styles As It Was (an absolute banger by the way) and I've genuinely never heard a louder crowd singing along. It was deafening.

And I got to see the Rik Mayall bench. Lovely stuff. 

On 10/30/2022 at 7:18 PM, Tommy! said:

I've plumped for this, thought it would make a good close to and excuse for a weekend up Preston or Blackpool. 

But what's the deal with the tickets, £100 more for a VIP ticket, which sells it self on "premium view at the front of the stage" which looks like the right 1/3 of the stage a few rows deep set off. 

Mate fucking same I live in st Anne's there is no way in hell I can miss Motley crue in fucking lytham lol

In an absolutely opposite to Bacon's experience (but still quite lovely) I was in one of the world's smallest venues, literally just a tiny practice room that likely couldn't hold 20 people to see four harsh noise acts including one former fine arts guy doing the most intense mime act half naked then turning the entire rooms electric off, leaving us in the most pitch black anxiety inducing time I've had at a gig. 11/10 night.

There was a hardcore all-dayer next door so edgy kids everywhere with no idea even edgier music was feet away.

Everyone was so nice though, from the noise artists to the crowds at both shows. Ended up missing part a set talking to a hxc kid about Charli XCX and hyperpop.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

Weird Al is coming back to the UK and Europe https://www.weirdal.com/tour/

I saw him at his first ever UK gig must be a decade or so now and it was one of the most fun and enjoyable concerts I have ever seen. He even did an impromptu meet and greet and he was delightful. Even though it says this is a stripped back tour and he's playing mostly his original songs rather then parody, I am going to try and get tickets.  

Oh and @SuperBacon

Spoiler

My daughter loves that Harry Styles album, that is a banger but I think the album has a fair few bangers on it. I have listened to it a few times now in the car. I just didn't want to say so out loud

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Off to see the Lancashire Hotpots with my mum and a bloke from the pub on Saturday. They've got a new Stu Penders routine for the support act as well. 

I'm really tempted by Paul Draper playing through the whole of Six by Mansun for the album's 25th anniversary, and Dodgy playing Free, Peace, Suite for the same reason next year. I don't know whether tickets will still be on sale when I can afford to get them, but I'll keep an eye out. 

First gig since 2019 last Sunday, seeing Droid Bishop in Camden. He was supporting LeBrock and Magic Sword. Probably up there in my top 5 of all time, he’s been my favourite musician since about 2017 and I was able to get right up the front because he was first support. Met him afterwards and he was a lovely chap. Really life affirming experience and great to finally to go to a gig again.

15 minutes ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

How were Magic Sword? I've been wanting to see them for a while now.

Went down to Manchester for Carpenter Brut and Sierra last Friday. It was brilliant, even if they didn't have as big a stage setup as usual. Perturbator in Glasgow next week, I've had the ticket since before Covid!

Pretty good, yeah. Need to listen to more of their stuff before next time, DB seems to tour with them quite often. Wouldn’t mind seeing Carpenter Brut! 

• Paid Members

I was also at the Underworld for Droid Bishop, Lebrock and Magic Sword Sunday. The good news is they were all awesome.

Magic Sword were a fantastic blend of synth and psychedelic stoner rock live. Felt bad for Shaun from Lebrock losing his voice but he put in a herculean effort to over come it. I'd not heard Droid Bishop much but he blew me away. A cracking show.

Bad news is my wife who was also with me just tested positive for COVID.

On 11/9/2022 at 9:21 AM, DEF said:

I was also at the Underworld for Droid Bishop, Lebrock and Magic Sword Sunday. The good news is they were all awesome.

Magic Sword were a fantastic blend of synth and psychedelic stoner rock live. Felt bad for Shaun from Lebrock losing his voice but he put in a herculean effort to over come it. I'd not heard Droid Bishop much but he blew me away. A cracking show.

Bad news is my wife who was also with me just tested positive for COVID.

Sorry to hear that re: covid. Hope it doesn’t stick around too long. Guess I’ll be continuing to take the covid tests over the next few days…

• Paid Members

Got 2 gigs in Manchester this weekend, both in venues I've never been to before. Marlowe at 'Yes' on Saturday with mates and then Idlewild at 'Century Hall' on Sunday with my better half. Lovely stuff. 

Edited by Dead Mike