Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

• Paid Members
On 2/2/2023 at 6:43 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Went to see Frank Turner last night. Unfortunately it was in Stoke but the Victoria Hall was a lovely venue. I really love the vibe at his gigs, there is always a great range of ages and band T-shirts. A bloke stood next to me was dad dancing like a champ as his daughter who must have been about 13 laughed proudly. They had a great time and it was real beautiful to see. It was like a community event with everyone there on the same page, looking out for each other and, as his number one rule of his gigs is, don’t be a dickhead and be considerate of everyone. I realised that I need to remember this in daily life!

The only time I saw Frank Turner live was in 2011 (just looked it up). I went along with a mate randomly as we were both Million Dead fans but I hadn't followed Turner's solo stuff since the band had finished. I couldn't believe the reaction he got. 2000 people (apart from me) belting back every word to pretty much every song, I wasn't expecting it. I've never really gone on to listen to any of his music other than a few bits and pieces but I think I should.

• Paid Members
On 2/3/2023 at 10:07 AM, Chest Rockwell said:

@Dead Mike   would be really interested in knowing the order of the lineup and what time the first act hits the stage as its really early doors so trying to figure out when I'm going to be able to get there at the earliest...

20230210_191417.thumb.jpg.12153bc2c50b381494d23a671d789d66.jpg

My husband went to the Manchester show on Friday, Jedi Mind Tricks came on very late and did a very short set unfortunately. They didn't come on till after 10 and a DJ had taken over by 10.40 at which point he left, though he thinks they came back for one more song after the DJ. He did get to meet Immortal Technique, RA Rugged Man and Poison Pen so he was pretty pleased.

Saw Weird Al on Tuesday with his Ill Advised Self Indulgent Vanity Tour, playing "deep cuts" with none of the major parodies or costume changes he's known for. The only disappointment was that it was seated which i didn't realise so i got there too late to get a decent seat and had to stand under the balcony, which anyone who's been to Birmingham Academy will know that meant the sound wasn't the best but Al and the band were brilliant.

Tomorrow night I'm seeing Yungblud, it's at the NEC, i hate massive gigs but i saw him at the Empire in Cov last year and it was ace so on the way home i drunkenly got NEC tickets. It should be a fun gig but i know the NEC is a nightmare to get home from and it's huuuuuge but it'll be fun. 

1 hour ago, gmoney said:

They Might Be Giants are doing a UK Tour in November, playing Flood and doing another set. Snapped up a ticket for the Roundhouse show. 

Looking at the Manchester one. Tickets for The Chicks have gone on sale today too so I think given the prices, it’s one of the other for me. 

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Looking at the Manchester one. Tickets for The Chicks have gone on sale today too so I think given the prices, it’s one of the other for me. 

I want to see The Chicks but it's pretty pricey. Gonna wait to see if I can pick up a cheap single on resale nearer the time.

1 minute ago, Dead Mike said:

I want to see The Chicks but it's pretty pricey. Gonna wait to see if I can pick up a cheap single on resale nearer the time.

I really like the support act too, and my girlfriend has wanted to see them for years. Plus it’s in a shit venue so I’m really torn!

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Looks like The Chicks have swerved London! Good on em. 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Harry Wiseau said:

Saw Weird Al on Tuesday with his Ill Advised Self Indulgent Vanity Tour, playing "deep cuts" with none of the major parodies or costume changes he's known for. The only disappointment was that it was seated which i didn't realise so i got there too late to get a decent seat and had to stand under the balcony, which anyone who's been to Birmingham Academy will know that meant the sound wasn't the best but Al and the band were brilliant.

Saw him at the Palladium last night (sat near to Chris Moyles and Edgar Wright) and while I was a bit apprehensive about going to a no gimmick tour, thought he was excellent. Not quite as good as the first time I saw him, but considering the stripped back nature of this show was better then I’d hoped. Emo Philips was great too. 

Sparks have added Wolverhampton date! this is excellent news. It's the week of Glastonbury, not part of their main UK run so that makes me suspect i may be able to watch them in person and then on my TV the following weekend. I am a happy old man.

oh yeah, and I don't acre what anyone says - Yungblud was bloody ace on Saturday night. I'm not normally one for gigs of that size but it was amazing, lovely friendly crowd, just a really good experience all round.

Edited by Harry Wiseau

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Panhead said:

I saw We Are Scientists in Leeds last night. Admittedly, I'm only really familiar with the first two albums, but I really enjoyed it. 

We saw them in Sheffield at the back end of last year and it was a brilliant gig. Low key one of my best gigs of the year.

1 hour ago, Panhead said:

I saw We Are Scientists in Leeds last night. Admittedly, I'm only really familiar with the first two albums, but I really enjoyed it. 

Saw them a couple of times, must be 15-16 years ago now. Glad to hear they’re still knocking around, some great songs and they were pretty decent live.