Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

• Paid Members

I've been to "call of the wild", nice small and laid back much like last year. 

Again went in knowing 3 bands but Solitary were fantastic, as we're Tailgunner. King Kraken and black spiders were great too.

Terrorvision were amazing again, I can't stand them when I've tried listening to stuff on YouTube I somehow have amazing fun live. Their saxophonist "saxylizbeth" is also definitely one for the less commercial/ conventional thread.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Seeing Sparks tonight with the missus, then The Lemon Twigs on Thursday on my todd. It's a week for people in their 70s and people who hark back to the 70s.

One of the best gigs we went to was Sparks, I think nearly 5 years ago to the day. I hear their new stuff is incredible live too! 
Enjoy!

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Terrorvision were amazing again, I can't stand them when I've tried listening to stuff on YouTube I somehow have amazing fun live. Their saxophonist "saxylizbeth" is also definitely one for the less commercial/ conventional thread.

Yep, brilliant live band.

2 hours ago, gmoney said:

Seeing Sparks tonight with the missus, then The Lemon Twigs on Thursday on my todd. It's a week for people in their 70s and people who hark back to the 70s.

I'm gutted that the Twigs aren't playing anywhere I can really get away with going to but I'm seeing Sparks again in Wolverhampton soon, but them at a venue as special as the Albert Hall really will be something special, have a great night, I know you will because it's SPARKS!!

Edited by Harry Wiseau

• Paid Members

also doing Sparks tonight, can't wait - saw them at the Roundhouse last year, and that was one of the best gigs I've ever been to, fully expecting tonight to be even better.

Went to Portals on Sunday, not a lot of it was my thing, but in terms of new discoveries for me I loved GGGOLDDD, real third album Portishead vibes from them. The main reason I was there was for Mono, who were incredible as always. 

Caught a bit of Jambinai at the end - heavy post-rock, with traditional South Korean instruments; a recommendation for @Merzbow if not already on his radar - but unfortunately had to leave mid-way through their set to catch a train.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, BomberPat said:

also doing Sparks tonight, can't wait - saw them at the Roundhouse last year, and that was one of the best gigs I've ever been to, fully expecting tonight to be even better.

Went to Portals on Sunday, not a lot of it was my thing, but in terms of new discoveries for me I loved GGGOLDDD, real third album Portishead vibes from them. The main reason I was there was for Mono, who were incredible as always. 

Caught a bit of Jambinai at the end - heavy post-rock, with traditional South Korean instruments; a recommendation for @Merzbow if not already on his radar - but unfortunately had to leave mid-way through their set to catch a train.

Just bought a last minute ticket for Sparks so I’ll guess I’ll see some l’effets tonight but obviously no photos without forks

12 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I also did Portals over the weekend - really excellent, well organised festival. I knew a couple of bands beforehand (Human Pyramid, AA Williams and Svalbard) but came away having been impressed with pretty much everyone I saw - in addition to those three, AK/DK, Mono (who I'd heard bits of but not a full album/set, who I agree were outstanding), Bo Ningen. Venue was great, good sound in all the rooms and never felt overly full at any point and really good selection of beer over (Signature, Verdent and Drop Project). My knees were absolutely screaming by Sunday night from all the walking and standing mind but that's probably more to do with me getting old and doing both days (well, from about five) on top of going to gigs the Wednesday and Thursday before as well.

On 5/28/2023 at 3:08 PM, SuperBacon said:

That sounds wicked. Have a great time.

Can confirm this was amazing. Set one was various African gospel songs from a range of countries. Set 2 was Graceland, encore was Call me Al which blew the roof off the place. Top night. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Ulf ist Gut said:

I also did Portals over the weekend - really excellent, well organised festival. I knew a couple of bands beforehand (Human Pyramid, AA Williams and Svalbard) but came away having been impressed with pretty much everyone I saw - in addition to those three, AK/DK, Mono (who I'd heard bits of but not a full album/set, who I agree were outstanding), Bo Ningen. Venue was great, good sound in all the rooms and never felt overly full at any point and really good selection of beer over (Signature, Verdent and Drop Project). My knees were absolutely screaming by Sunday night from all the walking and standing mind but that's probably more to do with me getting old and doing both days (well, from about five) on top of going to gigs the Wednesday and Thursday before as well.

I couldn't make Saturday night, which was a shame, as I love Bo Ningen, and there were some other really cool acts on the bill that I didn't get to see. I think with my health as rotten as it is right now I'd have struggled to manage two straight days, though - if it wasn't the standing, it was knackering my back sitting in the main theatre with no back support. 

Sparks were superb last night, as expected. I think the Roundhouse gig last year was probably better, but the sheer novelty of Sparks, of all bands, playing the Royal Albert Hall and absolutely belonging there made it something special.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Sparks were superb last night, as expected. I think the Roundhouse gig last year was probably better, but the sheer novelty of Sparks, of all bands, playing the Royal Albert Hall and absolutely belonging there made it something special.

Other than being sat around the most boring people I've ever seen at a concert (no dancing whatsoever), I thought it was a great first gig for me to see Sparks. My only gripe was I didn't think the sound was that great compared to other things I have seen at the RAH before, not sure what was up with that. New stuff sounded great live and a 3 hit combo of When do I get to sing my way, number 1 song in heaven and This Town was amazing.   

• Paid Members

So, as mentioned earlier, saw Baaba Maal at the Barbican for the first time in years. The master still has it. Absolute riot, and one of the best gigs I've been to in some time. There was a brief moment after the opening where a number of people in the row behind me got up to loudly protest against the Senegalese government, who'd apparently killed protestors, countenanced by the president Mackay Sall.

Anyway, managed to get the hang of the Night function on my phone camera.

(Apologies if the file sizes are too large.)

IMG20230530200020.jpg

IMG20230530205129.jpg

IMG20230530210620.jpg

IMG20230530213215.jpg

• Paid Members

I've just found out I've not booked a parking pass for download, do they do pay on the day or am I going to need to find another option getting there?

Edited by Tommy!