Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

I was at download festival this past weekend.

The negatives were it was horrendously oversold meaning it was a mass free for all and genuinely at times felt unsafe and dangerous with the heat we had.

The positives were pretty much every single band I saw were fucking outrageously good.

I saw 

Bloodywood 
Lorna shore 
The hu 
Behemoth 
I prevail 
Parkway drive 
Slipknot 

Fever 333
Ice nine kills 
Motionless in white 
Neck deep 
Hot milk 
The blackout (24th time seeing them)
Thw crawlers 
Pendulum 
Architects 
Bring me the horizon 

Alexisonfire 
Disturbed 
Alter bridge

12 hours ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

https://popupmusicfestival.co.uk/

Going to this on Sunday, not out of choice, but after the last 7 weeks it'll be nice to get out the house for a bit to perve, I mean enjoy, the musical talents of Cascada 

This has fizzy bum drops written all over it. 

On 6/15/2023 at 3:18 AM, Kfogg1991 said:

I was at download festival this past weekend.

The negatives were it was horrendously oversold meaning it was a mass free for all and genuinely at times felt unsafe and dangerous with the heat we had.

The positives were pretty much every single band I saw were fucking outrageously good.

I was there too and aside from the horrendous traffic issues when arriving on the Wednesday (what should have been a 4 hour coach journey ended up being almost 13 hours stuck on the motorway) and the sheer volume of people combined with the insane heat over the weekend, I had the time of my life.  The highlights of the festival for me ended up being bands I'd never even listened to before (The Warning, Bloodywood, The Hu, Electric Callboy) which was a tremendous surprise.  I don't think I've ever been to a festival before and watched back to back bands for the entire weekend with not a single dud amongst them.  Already bought my tickets for next year!

49 minutes ago, CTXRussomark said:

I was there too and aside from the horrendous traffic issues when arriving on the Wednesday (what should have been a 4 hour coach journey ended up being almost 13 hours stuck on the motorway) and the sheer volume of people combined with the insane heat over the weekend, I had the time of my life.  The highlights of the festival for me ended up being bands I'd never even listened to before (The Warning, Bloodywood, The Hu, Electric Callboy) which was a tremendous surprise.  I don't think I've ever been to a festival before and watched back to back bands for the entire weekend with not a single dud amongst them.  Already bought my tickets for next year!

How much has that set you back? Seen as it’s going back to 3 days next year you’d expect the price to reflect that choice

37 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

How much has that set you back? Seen as it’s going back to 3 days next year you’d expect the price to reflect that choice

Not a chance they'll reduce prices - we book the RIP Camping package and the early bird tickets we managed to grab on Monday before they sold out were £30 more than this year.  Think the 2nd wave released (and also sold out) were another £40 on top of that, so I expect standard camping tickets will be the same.  The extra day this year has definitely been a way for them to push up the ticket prices over the longer term. 

*EDIT*

Out of curiosity I just looked up standard camping and the early bird tickets are currently £275.  From memory I think the equivalent tickers last year (for the ealier phases) were around £250, so yeah it's roughly the same level of increase. 

Edited by CTXRussomark
Addl info

• Paid Members

Is Sonisphere ever likely to come back? That was by the far best festival I’ve been to, perfect size and layout, and tickets were pretty decent price from what I remember. Saw the big four there and Rammstein one year 

45 minutes ago, waters44 said:

Is Sonisphere ever likely to come back? That was by the far best festival I’ve been to, perfect size and layout, and tickets were pretty decent price from what I remember. Saw the big four there and Rammstein one year 

Unless they strike another deal with Metallica, which is pretty much was it was originally, then never.

Other festivals have cancelled because they’re losing money due to either not shifting enough, spiralling costs or a combination of both, you’ve got smaller 1 or 2 day festivals that cater to the more niche genres.

All Sonisphere would be at this point is whatever Download booked the previous year

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Late to the download chat but I had to leave a bit early because I freaked out and went Tonto again, but while the bands were good to great it was too busy for me.

I like to nip for drinks during sets when it's a bit quieter and mill between stages at points but it was so busy it wasn't really feasible. There also seemed less lavs and I'm pissing every hour. With less drink and more people I'm just getting less out of it sadly.

I'm back to day tickets until it's a shit year of oaps again I think 😆

On 6/15/2023 at 10:25 AM, SuperBacon said:

This looks utterly shit/fantastic. 

Cascada far and away the best act. Boyzlife surprisingly good. Artful Dodger - shit. Ultrabeat pretty good, Flip and Fill - pretty good. Vengaboys - tragic compared to what they used to be  (not that great admittedly). They had a 'crowd karaoke' thing going on between acts which very quickly got very repetitive and shite!

To be fair though, having had my wife in hospital for thr last 7 weeks, it was nice to have an afternoon/evening off from being with the kids and spending some grown up time with other grown ups.

Edited by Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete

• Paid Members
On 6/18/2023 at 8:06 PM, Tommy! said:

I'm fully on the day train these days. Download for a day this year was quality, just a day solid of music with a few beers then home to bed, lovely.

My only gripe with Download was the sound on the main stage, it was just too quiet. It was decent for Metallica but I watched Clutch and Disturbed and the whole thing just was not loud enough. I was stood central in front of the front security barrier so had a prime spot. Dunno if it was just a Saturday thing or not? Second stage and tents sounded fine.

On 6/18/2023 at 8:06 PM, Tommy! said:

Late to the download chat but I had to leave a bit early because I freaked out and went Tonto again, but while the bands were good to great it was too busy for me.

I like to nip for drinks during sets when it's a bit quieter and mill between stages at points but it was so busy it wasn't really feasible. There also seemed less lavs and I'm pissing every hour. With less drink and more people I'm just getting less out of it sadly.

I had tickets and was on the fence as I'd got them with my ex - was more than prepared to go myself - but ended up selling them on in the end because I wanted a holiday I didn't feel like I'd need another holiday just to recover from. Your feelings sum up how I imagine I would have felt about it. I know festivals aren't five star living, but from the sounds of it they oversold the fuck out of it and it was all a bit intense. Which is great if you're in the mood - it's all about the bands at the end of the day, and it seems they all hit it out of the park - but I don't want the crowd around me feeling like 30 minutes before the main headliner, all weekend long. 

Glad those who went enjoyed it though.