Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

• Paid Members

I went to the Friday and the sound was ok where I was. When Axl picked up on the crowd having issues with the sound, I wasn’t sure what they were on about. I’ve read varying things about sound around the stadium and it seemed to vary.

I was just happy to have seen them and got a relatively full set and looking cohesive and happy. The whole thing went far better than I expected (having heard nightmares at other dates in the past) but I wasn’t bothered about support and got there after gates opened so of course that changes things.

The story of Axl staying in the dressing room on a rush bought Ikea bed is quite an image.

• Paid Members

Yeah the sound was alright where I was. I was right near the top of the south stand. It did sound a lot better for Gary Clark Jr though. 

Lady Gaga is there this weekend. So be interesting to see the feedback for that gig and if it’s just a GnR thing or a Spurs stadium thing. 

Edited by TheBurningRed

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Danny Rose >>>> Axl Rose.

The thought of him sleeping in the away dressing room is amazing.

Nearly every famous person I can think of with the surname "Rose" is a wanker.

Danny

Axl

Brian

Pete

Adam

The fact Gn'R still draw is a mystery to me - it seems to be almost received wisdom that their concerts will start late, usually at the whim of Axl when he finally decides to show up. You'd think nobody would waste money on the risk any more. Or has that been overplayed?

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

The fact Gn'R still draw is a mystery to me - it seems to be almost received wisdom that their concerts will start late, usually at the whim of Axl when he finally decides to show up. You'd think nobody would waste money on the risk any more. Or has that been overplayed?

Probably because Slash and Duff came back. Particularly Slash. He and Axl are the draws. They’re my favourite band so I’ll always go. Might not be as good anymore, but I want to see them as much as I can before they stop.

As for the concerts starting late or when Axl wants to finally show up. That’s all bollocks these days. Since two of the originals came back 6 years ago, and with age, Axl has mellowed with his attitude and they’re always bang on time now. Last Friday everyone was blaming them for the late doors opening but it was other factors. Night two could’ve been because of issues with the band/Axl. But it’s nowhere near the same as say 10 years ago when he decided to show up two and half hours late to the o2 gig. 

• Paid Members
Just now, TheBurningRed said:

Probably because Slash and Duff came back. Particularly Slash. He and Axl are the draws. They’re my favourite band so I’ll always go. Might not be as good anymore, but I want to see them as much as I can before they stop.

As for the concerts starting late or when Axl wants to finally show up. That’s all bollocks these days. Since two of the originals came back 6 years ago, and with age, Axl has mellowed with his attitude and they’re always bang on time now. Last Friday everyone was blaming them for the late doors opening but it was other factors. Night two could’ve been because of issues with the band/Axl. But it’s nowhere near the same as say 10 years ago when he decided to show up two and half hours late to the o2 gig. 

Ah, that's good to hear then. I just remembered hearing from so many pissed-off friends who'd gone to the gigs, and were then complaining at the pub afterwards. But glad he's finally got himself sorted.

Axl can't carry the vocal load anymore, but he still tries, I don't know if changing the key would work at this stage, because people are so used to the falsetto, but it's worked for def Leppard.

GnR are now a nostalgia act, they come on do their shtick and go home ( or apparently to the away room) 

If you look at the tour statistics for GnR up until the London shows then its quite mental. 30+ song setlists, average set times >3 hours. With their age and standing is there any need for that? Do they need to be doing several songs off of Chinese Democracy? Numerous Covers? Playing songs like Coma? The two terrible new songs?

They could get away with doing 90 minute sets easily. Just playing the obvious ones off of Appetite and UYI. It would surely be a better performance and reduce the chance of Axl exploding mid tour.

I was supposed to go to the Glasgow show but expected it to be cancelled as soon as I heard what happened in London.

• Paid Members

Going to see HAIM in a couple of weeks, because I'm very cool and with it. Literally second row from the back of the upper deck at the O2. Has anyone here ever sat up there? Am I going to shit myself? 

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, gmoney said:

Going to see HAIM in a couple of weeks, because I'm very cool and with it. Literally second row from the back of the upper deck at the O2. Has anyone here ever sat up there? Am I going to shit myself? 

I was very near the top when I saw Aerosmith there, and similar for the Monty Python reunion show. It's quite steep (depending on your block your view might be fairly close to vertical) but you do still get decent views.

• Paid Members

Got to meet Vukovi yesterday after their set at 2000 Trees thanks to the work of some very legendary people. 

Also met @Dead Mikethis weekend. At least I think I did. Otherwise I've met a UKFF patron and the hangover turned their name into Dead Mike. UKFF Trees represent.

Been a very good weekend so far. 

IMG_20220708_214250_1.jpg

• Paid Members

Saw Johnny Marr, Stereophonics and Pearl Jam at Hyde Park earlier and absolutely bloody loved it all. What a fantastic day.

Really pleased with my photos too. Wish I’d taken my proper camera when I saw the Rolling Stones a couple of weeks ago. These were taken with a little digital camera with a brilliant zoom.

A7EFD080-7357-4C57-9888-226AAB0874EC.thumb.jpeg.d4290c76c5608e7c72b34aaba3c02e2d.jpeg

2CDDAE8F-C253-4A18-9210-5401A8CBAE58.thumb.jpeg.9293cc658558e079408108198c8c2e09.jpeg

462DDDD7-75FA-4D4A-B083-1C010F90C0E2.thumb.jpeg.77f2c059756cad8715180d8de7717c72.jpeg

51C936D2-B55F-4FED-B41D-0D18983CF5A9.thumb.jpeg.14058bff717f546d6e583b589c8f7c29.jpeg

Edited by Monkee

• Paid Members

Jerry Cantrell was fantastic the other night. He didn't play much off Degradation Trip, which is a shame, as it's one of my favourite rock albums, but everything he did play was great. My mate I was with had never really listened to his solo stuff, but is a big Alice in Chains fan, and he basically played an AIC greatest hits set with a smattering of solo tracks. 

He had Greg Puciato from Dillinger Escape Plan on vocals for the Alice in Chains stuff, and he absolutely nailed it. I could get behind a proper collaboration there.

• Paid Members

Went to see Pearl Jam on Friday in Hyde Park. Everything about it was great, except for the shit old Hyde Park thing of being too fucking quiet. We got into a decent spot before Pearl Jam came on, we were about 5 people deep behind the Ten Club area at the front (which i would have paid for if i'd known about it) and when they opened with Better Man everyone lost their shit for the solo bit at the beginning, when it kicked it it was like a fart in a lift, you could feel the air go out of the place, just painfully quiet. For the first 4 songs between songs everyone was chanting 'louder, louder' and heckling them to turn it up. We gave up after those 4 and moved further and stood directly behind a speaker stack which was better but still too quiet and we were directly behind it. Compared to Rammstein a week or so ago which was probably the loudest and best sounding stadium show i've ever been too it was abit frustrating. 

Pearl Jam were brilliant though, and what started as me wanting to get as immersed as possible and get close ended up being a drunken piss up, singalong which was still pretty great as we had easier access to the bar.

Overall though, ive been to Hyde Park twice now and both times it left me pissed off at just how quiet the shows are, i know it's a general complaint there but fuck sake. Watching a metal band there must be painful.