Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

Last week I randomly remembered that I saw Cave In support Foo Fighters in about 2002. Completely out of nowhere. A day or two later Anchor was played on BBC 6Music while at work so I listened to Antenna on my way home. That’s when I noticed they have a new album out, and now the news of UK shows. 

Maybe this is a sign…

• Paid Members

Only time i saw them was at the Leeds Festival, it was around the time of the Antenna record so probably 2003. They opened playing the Antenna material then switched it half way through to play some old stuff with Caleb Schofield taking over on vocals, it confused the audience but it was great. One of my favorite ever Leeds Festival sets.

Them opening for the Foo Fighters is pretty mental when you think back. That whole flirtation with the mainstream and a major label didn't last long. Bet Dave Grohl loved them though.

• Paid Members

Sun Ra Arkestra last night, first time seeing them since about 2011 or so, I think. Main line-up change is that they have a female vocalist now, which ties a lot of their stuff together into more conventional song structure, whereas they were a bit more freewheeling before.

Under their current bandleader, Marshall Allen, and second-longest serving member (I think!) Knoel Scott, they're a bit more of a conventional jazz band than they were under Sun Ra anyway, but they're definitely leaning more towards swing, blues and groovy numbers now, but do it really, really bloody well, with enough idiosyncratic touches to stand out from the pack. An absolute joy to watch, as ever.

Marshall Allen is just over a week away from turning 98 and is still fucking incredible. He's clearly a tiny old man, but his playing is superb, and he still seems to be pretty much with it, it's not like watching late career Brian Wilson. He must be the oldest musician in the world to still be actively touring and working, surely?

Something I noticed the other day is that both Metallica and Slipknot are doing numerous dates across Europe this summer. There are no UK dates from either band which I find a bit unusual.

Do you think this is as simple as being tied in to festivals next summer (due to 2020 and 2021 delays) or is it some sort of brexit bullshit?

I would imagine that it’s due to Download and other acts having to honour existing contracts from when 2020 and 2021 were cancelled. While there are others scattered around the bill, System Of A Down are probably the only major act from the 2020 bill to have not been rebooked.

Its hard to tell with Metallica whether or not they’ll ever be back. I’m sure if the money was right they will be, but they can probably make more from running their own stadium shows. 
Slipknot were due to run the first UK Knotfest in 2020, but seem to still have a strong relationship with Download as they haven’t broken out into doing stadiums yet like how Metallica, Rammstein or My Chemical Romance have

As for anything relating to Brexit, I doubt an act of their respective size are going to suffer from new regulations. It’s your lower level bands getting to gigs in a mates van that are going to suffer long term.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

12 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I just got back from seeing yeule and Charlie XCX, the gayest thing I've ever been to and it was ace.

it was really good wasn't it, I've never seen Spanking paddles and douches on the merch desk at a gig before but Charlie had them, it was great fun. 

9 minutes ago, Harry Wiseau said:

it was really good wasn't it, I've never seen Spanking paddles and douches on the merch desk at a gig before but Charlie had them, it was great fun. 

I had to do a double take when I saw "DOUCHE £20". She caught me off guard when she sang Caroline Polachek's bit note perfect too.

I just wish yeule had more time, Glitch Princess is my album of the year so far.

Got a fairly varied lineup of gigs booked in. Bit of sludge and doom at a local pub tomorrow night, booked last minute tickets today to see Years and Years on Monday in Nottingham, Korn Q&A in London an June, Rammstein the week after that, my own band is playing Bloodstock in August and then I'm off to see Mad Caddies in London the day after.