The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

It’s so they can forge their own paths without the family name overshadowing them, the Usos for example wouldn’t nearly have been as successful had they gone by the Fatus and worn Headshrinker style gear

Not the best example, is it? Go back and watch their debut and tell me they aren’t just a refreshed Headshrinkers right down to mannerisms and top rope splashes. And they’ve been referred to as Rikishi’s kids their entire tenure. Everything BUT the name.

The real answer is that WWE create a name they can trademark.

Edited by air_raid

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

It’s so they can forge their own paths without the family name overshadowing them

I enjoyed Bull in the early 2000s, but I'm not sure the Buchanan name casts the largest of shadows.

(Of course, in those cases, the argument is the family name doesn't mean anything so why not use a different one)

• Paid Members

On that line though, we now have the Usos' brother in NXT who looks just like them, is using all the family trademark moves (running arse in the corner, big splash off the top finisher) but has a different name and (to the best of my recollection) it hasn't been noted he's in any way related to them.

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, air_raid said:

The real answer is that WWE create a name they can trademark.

Definitely that but it also gives them far more freedom of character. Otherwise, you'd just have all these serious wrestlers with real names in the image of their old man. You can't really get to cult leader who lives in a swamp ones you've acknowledged he's the spawn of fucking IRS.

It probably helps protect them when the old man gets yewtree'd or something too.

• Paid Members

For some people, an extension of their dad's gimmick makes a lot of sense - Ted DiBiase Jr. as the spoilt trust fund brat son of the Million Dollar Man should have been explored far more as a character - for some, getting out from their dad's shadow is the best thing for them. Dustin Rhodes was great, but Goldust allowed him to be something beyond just Dusty's Kid. The weird ones are guys like Curtis Axel, where they acknowledge they are the son of someone with a famous surname, but that they aren't using it because reasons. 

I used to work with a guy who always had terrible booking ideas, and a recurring one was about second/third generation wrestlers denouncing their WWE name and using their "real" name, then usually banding together in one big second/third generation heel stable. At the time, the focal point of this idea was Jesse out of Jesse and Festus. The guy could never understand that if Jesse announced himself as Ray Gordy, it would mean nothing to 99% of the audience who neither knew or cared who Terry Gordy was, and the other 1% would just be comparing him unfavourably to his dad.

For the blokes in NXT - I can't see any benefit to promoting someone as the son of Bull Buchanan or one of the Beverly Brothers. They're not names that give anyone a leg-up with the audience's perception. But having a Steiner, booking him and presenting him for all intents and purposes as a Steiner, but not using the name, is mad shit.

I'm quite excited to see, having perfected cloning, which superstar Vince McMahon will bring back next.  I'm hoping for an oddly named clone Road Warriors team to come out of the cloning tanks next!

Seriously, Breakker is the best thing in wrestling right now, but it's a bright spot in an NXT that is definitely misfiring.  It's in a transition period, sure, with Gargano and presumably O'Reilly on their way out, but what the final form is of this, I've no idea.  Probably OVW again.

WWE always seems to find a big new superstar right at the moment you think they're all out of ideas, and right now it looks like Breakker is that next big thing.  He's obviously inexperienced but his instincts are great, he moves fantastically smoothly and hits everything with ease, plus you have the attitude and the peaks.  He's the complete package, in 6 months he'll be ready for Raw.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

He'll throw out about 14 blokes at the Rumble, be joking about poo on Raw two weeks after, and then everyone will be booing him and everyone on here will say he's shite.

His dad and his uncle are the definition of 'you can piss off if you think we're doing that shit' I give him 6 months before they ask him to do an angle on the main roster and they advise him to tell to start ramming thumbs up the creative teams bums.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

He'll throw out about 14 blokes at the Rumble, be joking about poo on Raw two weeks after, and then everyone will be booing him and everyone on here will say he's shite.

And then the WWE stans will blame those people instead of the company who haven't booked a babyface well (on purpose) since the 90s. Ah, wrestling.