The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

It might well be his mentality, but i've never heard him express it as such. It's certainly something that Bischoff has said. That tag wrestling isn't economical. Paying 4 people when you can just pay 2 and what happens when one gets injured?

Vince's problem has been having or creating a traditional tag team in appearance and then treating them as undercard acts and fodder for his superstars. Until he picks a favourite for a singles run.

Are we sure Breaker is Rick's son, and not simply a clone of Scotty boiled up in some arcane WWE lab?  He has all Scott's mannerisms, even saying "huh" after every move.

There's just no way they can carry on pretending he's NOT a Steiner.  He looks like them, wrestles like them, sounds like them.  It's so awkward - when he uses the Steiner Recliner the commentators don't know what to call it.

They should lean into this.  Get Hunter to phone Poppa Pump and bury the hatchet, he's very good at that.  Get Scotty in as his manager and make the young lad NXT Champion straight away.  It also means they can finally put the Steiners into the Hall Of Fame, and the videogames and all that.

My favourite bit of this episode was the Creed brothers v Imperium.  A really fun match, exactly the sort of wrestling I like to watch - big guys throwing each other around and actually chain wrestling.  I think there was only 1 spot where someone did a top rope move, and they didn't even need that.  Some cracking power spots from both teams as well.  If this is the new NXT 2.0 style I will be very happy.

Ditto Tony D'Angelo - he can really wrestle, he's clearly got an amateur background, and the character is bang on.  They've even given him the finisher of the last guy to do this gimmick, Johnny The Bull!  Rolling The Dice, I think WCW called it.

Good episode.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Ditto Tony D'Angelo - he can really wrestle, he's clearly got an amateur background, and the character is bang on.  They've even given him the finisher of the last guy to do this gimmick, Johnny The Bull!  Rolling The Dice, I think WCW called it.

Big lads? Bright colours? World World of Neckbreakers? RUTHLESS AGGRESSION!

Although Rolling the Dice was Reno. And Test.

• Paid Members
On 10/22/2021 at 1:29 PM, CavemanLynn said:

Although Rolling the Dice was Reno. And Test.

If you want to go there, it would be quicker to list wrestlers who DIDNT use some variant of Last Rites/The Hero’s Welcome etc between 2001 and 2005.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Supremo said:

This was absolutely terrifying

It certainly was terrifying. There was absolutely no need for it though. Why wrestlers these days have a bump fest instead of putting together a match is beyond me. Anyway, it is very much like watching your local promotion in the town hall - not many fans, subsequently no atmosphere and folk almost killing themselves for a Twitter trend.

I cannot (I kind of can) understand the decision to have Bron Breakker lose. I have however consoled myself with this:

Glorious stuff.

• Paid Members

That ladder match was awful. Absolutely insane spots from ladies who worked incredibly hard and almost killed themselves but the fundamental stuff was atrocious. They were running up the ladders, then standing there for embarrassing amounts of time waiting for other people to stop them winning. They had to do a camera cut away from Zoey because it was so bad that she wasn't just winning. The perfect landing very still on the ladder is a horrible, over played trope these days. A shame because those insane spots show these ladies are risking their necks but it's a waste when half the memorable stuff is bad.

Show was as confusing as last week. Big match build for the main event. Big time intro for Gonzalez. More bad language. Blood in the main event. Yet lots of skits and promos straight out of the holiday camp circuit. Nothing makes wrestlers look more like geeks than a WWE Halloween party too.

Enjoyed it overall though. It's far from perfect but the Chucky tie in, the white castle of fear knock off and spin the wheel had WCW feels. It's just nice to see them do a show where it feels people are on the up. I do wish the commentary was better though. Just nothing real or natural about any of them and what they say.

I think the key thing for me at the moment is that I'm actually enjoying it week on week. I am looking forward to watching it now where before I just caught it when something interesting was happening, otherwise I got by on the Takeovers.

It's obviously not as polished or consistently solid as AEW but it doesn't have to be.

3 hours ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Glorious stuff.

There's a couple of gifs in that thread from the Steiners v Bigelow/Vader match in Japan, that has to be one of the best matches I've ever watched.

Breaker even botches like his uncle - he's got that same "can't look away" factor even when he messes up.  He's clearly destined for many championships and a lot of money, they just need to find something to do with him for 6 months whilst he gets more experience.  They actually called the "Frankensteiner" this match, which is another step towards actually calling him Steiner.

Fun event overall, although I completely agree about the spotfest women's ladder match.  Imperium are the best tag team in NXT at the moment so I'm glad to see them on top; hopefully they'll defend against the Grizzled Young Vets for a bit.