The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

10 hours ago, The Dart said:

I assume they're still going to be doing Takeovers, but they're just going to be from the "NXT Arena" still?   I do wonder if they'll ever be going back to doing NXT house shows.   Surely that's an essential part of development.

I don't think it is, or should I say I don't think they think it is. Profit is key and no way NXT house shows are increasing the profit. They are already looking at a model of less house shows for the main shows as they were drawing poorly. I imagine they will still plan international tours but even they arnt as lucrative as they were. Without an improvement in the product the number of tickets sold isn't going to be improved but TV money is the bread and butter and unless that changes I can't see any desire to change the model. Maybe an increase in ticket prices for live TV taping due to an increase in demand due to the lack of house shows. 

• Paid Members

I didn't watch any matches but I flicked through all the other segments and I honestly don’t know where you start with this show. You can see the more adult edge that was rumoured in the language and the humour in that frankly preposterous honeymooners sketch. Those WWE stans are going to be really upset be the use of "shit" right? Or will it be OK here?

There are still loads of brand new characters being settled in or about to debut and there are a lot of really green promos with no one really standing out yet apart from Steiner 2.0. His promo video and the Ciampa response are excellent little pieces and are the only things you really need to see from the show. If you like WrestleCrap, the honeymoon sketch is for you too.

Tony D'Angelo has some FBI vibes, be interesting to see him translate to the show.

Closing beatdown was evidence that the main show over-producers are in town. Absolutely nauseating camera work.

Edited by tiger_rick

Enjoyed another episode of nxt.. since the rebrand I think it's been great..is it the best in ring on TV no..is it the best stories and promos no..it is fresh and full of new talent not just doing the same moves you've seen them doing for years.. feels like when nxt first launched.. some might be green but lots of character work and you can see the workers growing week in week interspersed with vets like gargano strong ciampa dunne etc. 

Johnny Gargano is so great at everything he does and genuinely gets a laugh. 

Be interesting to see who moves to main roster in the draft..I think la Knight..Raquel.. franky monet and dunne and Holland all have a chance and could see some other surprise call ups too.

Edited by DAVEYJONESGIANTSQUID

NXT has been the only wrestling show I've really been watching for the past few years, and so I'm torn on this reboot.

On the one hand it's nice to be able to actually SEE the ring, the 70s lighting had run its course.  And seeing as my ideal current NXT championship match would be Brekker v Holland I'm pleased to see big meaty wrestlers getting a push, even really green ones.

On the other hand, Johnny Gargano is still all over the product.  And Kyle O'Reilly who, whilst an entertaining goofy heel, is an awful white meat babyface.  The new production style is also awful but that's just inherited from Raw/Smackdown.

I'm resigned to the fact that most modern wrestling really isn't for me - I'm neither moved by the acrobatics display of Omega v Danielson, or the WWE soap opera of Raw.  So I'll keep tuning in to see any hoss matches on NXT and try to ignore the rubbish bits.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Loki said:

NXT has been the only wrestling show I've really been watching for the past few years, and so I'm torn on this reboot.

On the one hand it's nice to be able to actually SEE the ring, the 70s lighting had run its course.  And seeing as my ideal current NXT championship match would be Brekker v Holland I'm pleased to see big meaty wrestlers getting a push, even really green ones.

On the other hand, Johnny Gargano is still all over the product.  And Kyle O'Reilly who, whilst an entertaining goofy heel, is an awful white meat babyface.  The new production style is also awful but that's just inherited from Raw/Smackdown.

I'm resigned to the fact that most modern wrestling really isn't for me - I'm neither moved by the acrobatics display of Omega v Danielson, or the WWE soap opera of Raw.  So I'll keep tuning in to see any hoss matches on NXT and try to ignore the rubbish bits.

How about Dark/Elevation. See some Hobbs and Wardlow if you want some big men squash

I watched a few clips this morning. Interesting to see that Parker Boudroux/Harland has been packaged as 'Creepy Man In Stands' and had his head and eyebrows shaved.This is the kid they've touted as a Lesnar level prospect and they've already saddled him with a look, that because of the shape of the lads head, makes him look like a massive penis.

It looks like he's entering into a program with Joe Gacy. Dunno whether that's gonna be as allies or antagonists, but I don't know whether the stink of Gacy's gimmick is a millstone that you wanna put on a potential top guy, or even Gacy himself to be fair.

I can't help but think that whilst there's a section of fans who will welcome the return of the 'Big Lads First' mentality of WWE, that people who watch the product are looking more likely to see a conveyor belt of interchangeable useless big lads like we got in the mid 00's than we are to see the next transcendant headliner. 

I mean I'll admit that what they're doing in NXT right now is about as far from my cup of tea as can be, but all I see when I look at Bron Breaker is Mojo Rawley with a famous dad. I also can't help but feel like these lads are gonna get brought up far too quickly. They're all alright now whilst they've got your Ciampa, Gargano, Grimes, shit even LA Knight there to carry them through matches but eventually enough of those guys are gonna leave, or worse yet, these kids are gonna get called up and we're back to having a load of Heidenreich, Snitsky, Luther Reigns or Rob Conway's on telly.

I mean NXT 2.0 has been alright for a couple of weeks of ironic banter, but so was Wrestling Society X.

Edited by BrodyGraham