The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

It might be that they’re going back to the model of rebranding/renaming wrestlers for the main roster.

I’ve read before that in the old days of FCW/OVW/early NXT, they liked to see if you could make it work with a generic name and a less fleshed out character.

Maybe they’re testing him before putting the final touches to him and giving him that helping hand.

Or, maybe they’ve picked a cobblers name.

Yeah, I genuinely don't know how you can change Rex Steiner for Bron Breakker. 

Not only is Rex Steiner a cool as fuck name, it's also a fun play on words on his actual surname and, to me, a good tribute to his dad (Rex is close to Rick and, being a bit of a hound's name, reminds of the 'Dog-Faced Gremlin'). 

He looks the absolute business and, if they know what they're doing, they'll strap a rocket to him and give him the strap before the end of the year. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Winston said:

LOOK AT HIM BRUCE..HE'S BRONNNNN BREAKKKKER

Every time someone rocks up with a name like this I imagine Vince in the meeting, based on Foley being told he was a "mutilator" in his first book.

"You're gonna destroy people! You're gonna BREAK people! You're a BREAKKER!"

Seeing suggestions on Twitter that Scott (who is obviously not in good graces & vice versa) owns a trademark on "Steiner" which prevents them from using it, but don't think that's true. Seems a bit too much to be able to blanket trademark a whole (fictional) surname and prevent anyone else from using it?

Not sure how this is NXT "2.0" either, as far as I can see this is at least the 4th major version change:

1) rookie contest

2) NXT Redemption morphs into general c-show (the best NXT)

3) rebadged FCW > super indy (these could be considered two different versions)

10 minutes ago, Statto said:

Not sure how this is NXT "2.0" either, as far as I can see this is at least the 4th major version change:

1) rookie contest

Sure its not accurate but it's far better from a marketing perspective than NXT 4.0 really. Can't blame them.

• Paid Members

I watched the first 30 minutes before bed. Firstly the arena looked like the impact zone at universal but brighter and with a better Entrance (and looked like the new AEW Dark). But Bron Brekker I thought was floundering. I think he’s got a good look, and I can see him doing well. But I thought he looked green and his timing was at times awful. 

Also, why was LA Knight pulling double duty (except for probably making Bron look good)?

8 minutes ago, Statto said:

1) rookie contest

I had a think whilst watching, Where does wwe canon say NXT began?"

In my head it began with the Daniel Bryan/Wade Barret etc show but I can understand they may say it began when it went to the network weekly.

In general i thought it was a good show, the use of color is much needed, The ring and surrounding area looks insanely better, I'm not to sure about the ceiling lights, that will take a little getting used to, reminds of WCW Worldwide (not in a good way).

What struck me was how I wanted to see new talent, From what i have seen across socials most feel the same, It would have been nice to see them put the strap on somebody totally random to add some excitement to the brand (Imagine if that Steiner kid took the 4th spot and won the bloody thing!).

Wedding was very funny and I popped for Beth getting involved, still not really sure where it is going since Candice obviously can't feud with her long term.

The womens 6 way was surprisingly tight, I'm very intruded to how far they can take Mandy, there is no doubt she is a great athlete so in theory they could turn her into a good wrestler.

• Paid Members

I must be the only one that wasn't too impressed with Bron, I got more of a Mojo Rawley vibe from him. I would imagine Scotty is the reason they don't want to use the Steiner name, which is a bit rum on Rick if true.

Who would have thought Dexter Lumis would be getting a loud pop for talking? This storyline has been the best thing for him, along with Gargano. I know its cool to knock Gargano, but since he turned into the goofy daft heel, he's been fun every week. Props to Regal's daft face when they tried to get him to continue the service, he has never lost the comedic timing. 

I think i'm in love with B-Fab, Hit Row in general are good, but B-Fab has a charisma about her similar to Bianca Belair. I'm not sold on Lopez, however. 

Von Wagner is the son of one of the Beverley Brothers so it really does feel like FCW with the second generation lot coming through. 

Not seen the show yet, but general impressions are it feels like when it transitioned from the overly long Redemption season into having a regular slot at Full Sail in 2012 when you saw the likes of then rookies Corbin, Big E, Elias etc mix with Indy signees like PAC (Neville), Rollins and Sami Zayn and main roster guys like Cesaro, Tyson Kidd and Justin Gabriel

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Nick James said:

I must be the only one that wasn't too impressed with Bron, I got more of a Mojo Rawley vibe from him. I would imagine Scotty is the reason they don't want to use the Steiner name, which is a bit rum on Rick if true.

Who would have thought Dexter Lumis would be getting a loud pop for talking? This storyline has been the best thing for him, along with Gargano. I know its cool to knock Gargano, but since he turned into the goofy daft heel, he's been fun every week. Props to Regal's daft face when they tried to get him to continue the service, he has never lost the comedic timing. 

I think i'm in love with B-Fab, Hit Row in general are good, but B-Fab has a charisma about her similar to Bianca Belair. I'm not sold on Lopez, however. 

Von Wagner is the son of one of the Beverley Brothers so it really does feel like FCW with the second generation lot coming through. 

Ben Buchanan, Bull’s son, also debuted last night as Brooks Jensen.

• Paid Members

The maddest thing is the news coming out today that Pete Dunne signed a new three year deal. After watching this show, I don’t have any idea what he’s going to do for those three years. It’s clear as day that he and his lot aren’t going to be long for this brand.

With everything that happened this past year or so, I’m not at all surprised they’re going back to giving everyone a new, daft name. They can’t be particularly happy seeing guys like CM Punk and Adam Cole showing up in AEW using the exact same name, character and presentation that they invested time and money into. The least you can do to protect your intellectual property is give them a new slave name!

19 minutes ago, Nick James said:

I must be the only one that wasn't too impressed with Bron, I got more of a Mojo Rawley vibe from him.

You're not the only one, that's exactly what I thought. I didn't think he was crap or anything, but the presentation of his character was almost identical. I also think it's only a matter of time before he drops the first name and goes by "Breakker". 

I might have missed something, but was Von Wagner new? I'd never heard of him. He had a decent look, but I'm not a huge fan of the name. 

The wedding was fun, and I think they could do worse than to give Gargano the opportunity to wrestle on the main roster. I imagine his landing spot would be a Sami Zayn type role, but there's a Daniel Bryan-shaped hole on Smackdown that I think he could fill. I'm not saying he'd reach the same level, but he more than has what it takes to serve the same purpose. 

In fact, the whole show was pretty fun. It'll be interesting to see how things look when the new faces become old, and their booking patterns become more apparent. 

43 minutes ago, Nick James said:

image.png.16b0e0b69f723196e41a5628416f0c46.png

If whatever Vince is doing is annoying folk like this, then it gets my vote. Fantastic. 

Haha Rex Steiner WAS his appointed name given by the company. What a geek. I bet he’s one of them “I won’t refer to him by his slave name” people that was discussed in the fan encounters thread.

• Paid Members

First taste of NXT for ages. Didn't see it all, I was a bit in and out of sleep tbh. Agree with the general take that it was a fun show and it looked and felt much better. However, the camera work was absolutely nauseating. It wasn't just the cuts, which there were millions of, but all sorts of strange angles, zooms and the camera swaying and wandering. It's just atrocious. I sit wondering how anyone could possibly think this is acceptable direction but there are about 10 posts before me and none of them are complaining so maybe no-one cares. The ring looked absolutely massive too.

The "2.0" stuff is really grinding but I presume they'll get bored of that soon. Steiner 2.0 was great though. The best bit of him is the little digital exclusive promo that was on Twitter. He just looks and sounds like a Steiner and that's a good thing. The name is terrible and with him appearing so cold, it didn't help him but he looked the part and was good enough to get excited about. What's it with all the Bs? Bron Breaker. Josh Briggs. Brooks Jensen. B-Fab. I mean, all better than Ridge Holland, but still...

Not sure why the switch for the 4-way but I thought it was a brilliant bit of self-awareness. Taking one of the guys out and putting in a young, big, fresh lad set alarms going all over. There were some boos in the crowd. You just know all Vince's step-kids thought this fella was going over and had a cob on so the finish of Ciampa winning was even more of a surprise. Clever bit of booking I thought.

Wedding was some weird, campy shit. Glad people enjoyed something. Screams out some "I married my stalker" headline from the cover of Take-a-break to me but whatever gets over, I guess!

Be interesting to see if the positivity lasts beyond this shiny and new period. I'm not convinced. I've lost count of the number times in the last ten years people have been excited over the latest thing in WWE and it's done in a few weeks. I think this is a positive move for them from a development POV but I think in a month or two, it'll be the same handful of people watching and discussing it as before.

Edited by tiger_rick