The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

Gacy's gimmick seems to be what Vince imagines young people are like - it's basically saying that the inclusive, caring, "woke" generation are creepy bastards.  It's terrible but he's actually making it work for him.

I am one of those @BrodyGrahamwho's on board with "Big Lads First" if they're decent ala Breaker.  Not sure about some of the others they've wrangled but at least it's a change from those super choreographed spot-fests that has been the predominant NXT main event style for a while.

Ridge Holland has been drafted to Smackdown  :(  Now I'll never get him v Breaker.  He's actually been pretty decent and teaming with Pete Dunne has been perfect for both of them.  He's too green for Smackdown, he'll be dancing with a mop or dressing like a leather daddy inside of a month.

• Paid Members

I had a flick through too. I've already watched more than I watched of NXT 1.5 or whatever it was in the last year it existed. Really liked the Steiner/Ciampa face off. Good promo work and the kid looked great in his regular togs. Funny line from Barrett, I think, saying "Holla if you hear him".

Not feeling Gacy at all. He's clearly confident but he's got horrible, high school drama production delivery that just doesn't work. 

I like big Odyssey, shame he's losing to that absolute shitehawk.

Tag team promo last week was their usual inorganic crap but the vignette to open the show was excellent and they cleverly built in a reason to make it elimination style. Imperium interfered afterwards and Barrett said they were overlooked for the match. The match came about from the other teams just wandering out with a mic last week so maybe they should have done the same!

That vignette for Diamond Mine was really tremendous work.

Von Wagner? Nah? Terrible look. Horrific name. Pissing about with O'Reilly. He's like the anti-Steiner.

I'm really enjoying the new NXT, it has that feeling off 'throwing stuff at the wall and see what sticks' but I would rather that than the extremely over produced segments we get on raw each week.

Breaker has huge potential but like others said I worry he will lose that momentum on the main roster. I don't think the mojo reference is fair since Mojo just never came across as likeable where Breaker does.

Mandy Rose as the backbone of a women's division is not something I had in my 2021 bingo but here we are. And to her credit she is carrying it very well. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Tsurutagun said:

My biggest take from this is that people over the age of 60 are watching the WWE developmental show.

I'm assuming they are just falling asleep on the couch in front of the telly beforehand, completely unaware it's even on.

Is it just me watching this then?

Von Wagner is shit, pure shit - terrible look, awkward mover, no character or personality.  Putting him over our boy Ridge Holland is a dis-grace.  I really appreciate Holland making old-school World Of Sport grunts when selling, he deserves a push just for that.

Gacy I quite like in the ring but, yeah, this gimmick is just properly insulting, like the old "gay" gimmicks the WWE used to love.  In fact, between that and the upping of the sexualisation of the women wrestlers, it feels like we've time travelled back to the 90s.

Enjoyed the final match a lot, and really nice unexpected ending with a new heel established.  It IS a weird product, when you've got such seasoned wrestlers like Escobar on the show (and isn't he great) and in the same episode some really green, not tv ready talent like those two Australian chaps.  Your gimmick is.. you carry a poker chip? Even OVW was better than that.

Next week - Breaker Time!

Edited by Loki

Bron Breakker does currently stand out like a sore thumb amongst this current crop. Imagine he'll climb the ladder pretty quickly.

Von Wagner in particular is the blandest of shits, needs some sort of gimmick to match his sunken eyes and lack of any noticeable charisma. 

Harland looks like a Snitsky/Lars Sullivan hybrid.

• Paid Members

Such a confusing presentation. The colours and graphics, some of the characters and that studio audience are pure kids TV show. It could be Fun House if there were prizes to be won and a quiz and a race. But there are backstage attacks all over, elements of bad language, a mob style kidnapping. It's a strange feel. Ironic too, them WWE stans will hate this, right?

Check out Steiner 2.0 on this show if you see nothing else. The kid is like nothing they've developed in 20 years. He's like a wrestling version of Billy's Boots. He's put that sensational singlet on and become a crazy motherfucker straight out of 1989. His work is so good and his mannerisms and jaw-jacking are sensational. 

Halloween Havoc next week. They've brought back Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal. More proper WCW feels. Good stuff.

Fuck me, that Joe Gacy shit is terrible. I could have written that promo. It was just stringing together a ton of current buzzwords with no understanding or meaning. Just needed a "gaslighting" to top it off.

Cora Jade has never been on a skateboard in her life before this, right? Looks like a Dynamic Dude out there.

Tony D'Angelo is great. If they don't go overboard, he's gonna be brilliant. Hopefully we see the family build. "FORGET ABOUT IT"

Lot of quite bland tag teams on the show that make a lot of it pretty skippable. Their work is basic and to bd honest, really boring. Matches need more energy. It's letting down a promising little show at the moment. 2 hours is unnecessary too but sure everyone has known that for years. 

@tiger_rickyou are spot on with 'Confusing presentation' . It has a WWF New Generation look to a lot of it with the graphics and gimmicks like 'Skaters' and 'Hikers' but then you have parts of the old nxt seeping through with backstage attacks and some of the promos and then you have Mandy Rose who just looks and acts like she is out of the attitude era.

It's an enjoyable enough watch though despite it's problems