The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

• Awards Moderator

It's a shame the new Steiner isn't going to be acknowledged as a Steiner, but if it means the NXT Random Name Generator is making a comeback, it's not all bad. We could be heading for a return to the glory days of Lucky Cannon and Eli Cottonwood and Michael McGillicutty.

20 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

First taste of NXT for ages. Didn't see it all, I was a bit in and out of sleep tbh. Agree with the general take that it was a fun show and it looked and felt much better. However, the camera work was absolutely nauseating. It wasn't just the cuts, which there were millions of, but all sorts of strange angles, zooms and the camera swaying and wandering. It's just atrocious. I sit wondering how anyone could possibly think this is acceptable direction but there are about 10 posts before me and none of them are complaining so maybe no-one cares. The ring looked absolutely massive too.

The "2.0" stuff is really grinding but I presume they'll get bored of that soon. Steiner 2.0 was great though. The best bit of him is the little digital exclusive promo that was on Twitter. He just looks and sounds like a Steiner and that's a good thing. The name is terrible and with him appearing so cold, it didn't help him but he looked the part and was good enough to get excited about. What's it with all the Bs? Bron Breaker. Josh Briggs. Brooks Jensen. B-Fab. I mean, all better than Ridge Holland, but still...

Not sure why the switch for the 4-way but I thought it was a brilliant bit of self-awareness. Taking one of the guys out and putting in a young, big, fresh lad set alarms going all over. There were some boos in the crowd. You just know all Vince's step-kids thought this fella was going over and had a cob on so the finish of Ciampa winning was even more of a surprise. Clever bit of booking I thought.

Wedding was some weird, campy shit. Glad people enjoyed something. Screams out some "I married my stalker" headline from the cover of Take-a-break to me but whatever gets over, I guess!

Be interesting to see if the positivity lasts beyond this shiny and new period. I'm not convinced. I've lost count of the number times in the last ten years people have been excited over the latest thing in WWE and it's done in a few weeks. I think this is a positive move for them from a development POV but I think in a month or two, it'll be the same handful of people watching and discussing it as before.

The camera cuts could be because Bucky Beaver was overseeing production last night

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

It's a shame the new Steiner isn't going to be acknowledged as a Steiner, but if it means the NXT Random Name Generator is making a comeback, it's not all bad. We could be heading for a return to the glory days of Lucky Cannon and Eli Cottonwood and Michael McGillicutty.

I just watched NXT for the first time in ages to see this guy, Why on earth they wouldnt use Steiner when the network has hours and hours worth of his old man being awesome is a odd.

Maybe its the heat Scott has?

Edited by quote the raven

• Paid Members

Steiner's kid not being billed as such is one of the things that makes my head spin about of WWE do their business. 

You have a kid there with a good look, and who's dad and uncle are not only in the discussion for greatest tag team of all time, but legitimately rock hard. He'd immediately have that sense of legitimacy and kick start his career. The same went for Perfect's Kid, and even Bulldog's at first.

Bray Wyatt did pretty well. Goldust was a star for a long time. You also definitely have to include Rock/Orton. Charlotte is a great example too.

Prior to that you had Bret, Owen, Savage - all second generation.

Roman Reigns is part of a wrestling dynasty.

I think being part of a wrestling family definitely helps.

The big different between Rex and most of the other people mentioned is that they probably don't have any intention of using Rick or Scott on television. They probably don't see a point in acknowledging it and if they give him a new persona at some point maybe they think it'll be easier without the Steiner baggage. 

Could also be that he doesn't want to be seen as a Steiner at this stage of his career. Or him stepping aside from an association with his crazy uncle. 

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Vamp said:

The big different between Rex and most of the other people mentioned is that they probably don't have any intention of using Rick or Scott on television. They probably don't see a point in acknowledging it and if they give him a new persona at some point maybe they think it'll be easier without the Steiner baggage. 

Could also be that he doesn't want to be seen as a Steiner at this stage of his career. Or him stepping aside from an association with his crazy uncle. 

Then why send him out there in attire that is basically a mirror image of what the Steiner's wore? 

Edit - Steiner-Decliner 

Edited by Silky Kisser