2021 Celebrity Death Thread

Magnum Milano

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Statto said:

"I've lived through storms before in my life, I've lived through everything..."

That's brilliant and probably still true now. "Trish and the Gink sitting next to her".

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

I remember reading that John Challis hated being remembered as being Boycie. He finally came around

Was it the barrow load of cash for his spin off that did it, or was it before then?

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Was it the barrow load of cash for his spin off that did it, or was it before then?

I’d say before. My friend booked him for a signing in his shop he had at the time, must have been 2002/3 ish. He was happy to sign any OFAH merchandise and even recorded some video messages in character.

He was booked in a Dr Who shop for a Dr Who signing.

I'm sure the money etc didn't hurt, but he really did end up loving the whole thing. I've seen celebs that are one way in front of fans and completely different behind the scenes, but John was genuine in his enthusiasm and enjoyment of meeting the fans - even when it was such a regular thing.

I think you just get to a point where you can either accept it and go along for the ride and enjoy the positives or end up very bitter.

He properly loved the Boycie gimmick by the end. He lived not far from me so I'd see him all the time. He would take any opportunity to have a stall set up selling photos and autographs. It was verging on Virgil levels but he was always a lovely bloke about it - happy to chat to anyone and everyone. Food Festival in the town square? He'd have a table in between a cheese monger and a bloke selling hot sauces. Village fete? He'll be set up next to the coconut shy. Makers Market in the town square? He's down the bottom opposite the woman with her home made bird boxes.

Mick McGinty, the artist responsible for all of the home console Street Fighter 2  box art, Streets of Rage 2 box art, Kid Chameleon box art and posters for Jaws 2, Big Foot and the Hendersons and Dragnet has passed away. Some iconic stuff in terms of game art

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-20-mick-mcginty-the-man-behind-so-much-iconic-90s-video-game-art-has-passed-away