2021 Celebrity Death Thread

Magnum Milano

• Moderators
9 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Not now in our dotage Baz, but in our adolescent days when no one could get depraved grot beamed into the palm of their hands 24/7.  That's why distribution of Kays catalogues tailed off once the internet became popular.

Absolutely, it was a glorious day when the new Littlewoods catalogue showed up.

• Paid Members

The catalogue was always a right of passage.  In Younger years, you’s grab it and go right to the back to see the toys.  As you got older, you aimed for a third of the way in.

Oh fuck it. 

One of my earliest memories is watching Saint & Greavsie with my Dad every week (during lockdown watched every single one I could find again, just superb) and my Grandad mumbling about him and what a fantastic player he was.

He used to tell me "never be a better scorer than Jim" and maybe there hasn't been.

This episode is particularly great, as towards the end Jimmy just started slagging off Sky at every opportunity. 

Ah this one is fucking gutting. 

Also one of the sports gentlemen and always gracious in the times I've seen him interviewed. In recent years the strokes and mental health issues have made it hard to see him making public appearances compared to how we knew him.

Very very sad and gutting. No doubt the minutes silence at Spurs v Chelsea will be impeccably observed by fans of both teams. One of the greatest players of all time, yet never really recognised in the same veins as the other legends of the game.

RIP Jimmy. 

The highlight of his career was having the line “Greavsies had his fun, now we’ve got him on the run” included in the official best football song ever, “Go For It City” by the 87 FA Cup winners. 

I remember a letter to the Coventry Evening Telegraph bemoaning how out of touch footballers are. The author recanted a story about how once, Spurs were the visitors to Highfield Road. The half time whistle blew and Greavesie legged it over the road to The Mercer’s Arms, necked a pint in one and legged it back. “Now that’s the sign of someone in touch with the fans!”   No mate, that’s the sign of a drink problem. 

Coventry were always on the receiving end of his joshing but it was all in good spirit.