Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

• Paid Members

My bank alerted me to a pending Amazon charge of £7.99. I had zero idea what this could be for. Amazon also hide their phone number behind some sort of indecipherable Web maze.

It turned out that they had charged me for my wife's Amazon Prime account. Her card had expired. At some point my card had been used when purchasing under her AMAZON account. Therefore they seem to think it was OK to use my card details when the Prime renewal was due. We now no longer have Amazon prime.

I smashed my phone screen a few weeks ago and knowing I had a manual payment to make from my HSBC bank account had to use my backup phone to try and log on to my internet banking to make the system. This was a faff and in the end after about 100 codes 50 emails and god knows how many detail resets I got on. Then trying to bring it back over to my repaired phone caused complete lockout as their system was cocked up. It kept sending emails with codes that started with the wrong number and telling me things had been sent on days/ times that didn't exist. In the end I got through to a girl who as helpful as she tried to be didn't seem to have a clue how to deal with my situation and was clearly going through the set list of solutions to every problem even though I told her to simply reset everything possible.  She then reset everything but before I could get the final access code got cut off.  In the end I got it posted to my mum and waited a week to get back in, luckily I didn't need the account in that time period. 

I know security is important and thieves are getting more and more sophisticated but as I get older I'm finding it harder and harder to remember all these different passwords, codes, memorable words. Not to mention this having to have codes sent to phone numbers I don't have anymore. Most will let me use a foreign number but not HSBC nope! 

I've been using Transferwise more and more over the last 2 years. I originally got it as a debit card for travel around Asia but it's come in amazingly handy for UK and Vietnam use especially when other cards have expired or got locked out. Post essentially doesn't get through to here anymore so having a debit card with full details on my phone that verifies through their app is fantastic. I'm actually considering moving all my direct debits and alike over to the account at some point but I know a few things like my brokerage accounts don't like them so I can't fully give up my current bank account. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, simonworden said:

I know security is important and thieves are getting more and more sophisticated but as I get older I'm finding it harder and harder to remember all these different passwords, codes, memorable words.

That's the other thing - they asked for my "memorable number", which is something I set up when I opened the account as a literal teenager. It's not written down anywhere, and I've only had to use it while phoning the bank, which has only really happened a handful of times in the years I've been with them. So every time I have to do it, I'm nervous that I might have just totally forgotten it and then not be able to get my problem fixed because I can't remember the sixth digit of a number that felt like it would be memorable twenty years ago.

17 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

That's the other thing - they asked for my "memorable number", which is something I set up when I opened the account as a literal teenager. It's not written down anywhere, and I've only had to use it while phoning the bank, which has only really happened a handful of times in the years I've been with them. So every time I have to do it, I'm nervous that I might have just totally forgotten it and then not be able to get my problem fixed because I can't remember the sixth digit of a number that felt like it would be memorable twenty years ago.

I guess they have some secondary questions in case you forget, like asking about certain transactions, overdraft limit, if you have any other accounts with them etc. I seem to remember doing that before. 

I'm rubbish at being sick. I've got something now where every time I go for a piss I vomit and faint (which, admittedly isn't very nice). 

But I always get really pathetic. I get all "woe is me" and struggle with basic tasks. Normally I can't stand attention but seem to crave it when I'm sick. I'm just really irritating. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

Your pissing problems sound like a real nasty medical issue. Your woe is me attitude when sick is not unusual at all though. I'm fucking absolutely, literally dying right now, as it happens.

Good news for Prince Coconut.

On 11/14/2021 at 7:05 PM, BomberPat said:

Same day again, decided to cancel my Beer52 subscription while I was getting on top of things, and they will only let you cancel by phoning them, no online functionality whatsoever. 

Talking of subscriptions it annoys me when you do a free trial and then are auto enrolled onto a subscription afterwards with YOU having to opt out at the end of the free trial rather than having to opt in. I think Amazon Prime are a good example of this and may have even been in hot water over it in recent years. 

Speaking of Amazon Prime...

13 hours ago, BigJag said:

My bank alerted me to a pending Amazon charge of £7.99. I had zero idea what this could be for. Amazon also hide their phone number behind some sort of indecipherable Web maze.

It turned out that they had charged me for my wife's Amazon Prime account. Her card had expired. At some point my card had been used when purchasing under her AMAZON account. Therefore they seem to think it was OK to use my card details when the Prime renewal was due. We now no longer have Amazon prime.

I had a similar issue on my American Express. My ex was added onto my account many years ago and when we broke up I asked American Express to cancel her cards and got told they did and then an Amazon charge of £7.99 came out on her card (which is my account) and they told me they could cancel the card but not payments like that and that I would need to speak to her for her to cancel it or take it up with Amazon. Obviously I wasn't happy with this and in the end American Express sorted it all out and gave me a credit back for the £7.99.  

In fairness to my ex she always paid the cards off and probably didn't realise/think about the Amazon Prime but when I was told everything was cancelled on the card and the card was deactivated I thought it was cheeky of both Amazon to take the payment and American Express to expect me to sort it out. 

Edited by Briefcase

1 hour ago, Briefcase said:

Talking of subscriptions it annoys me when you do a free trial and then are auto enrolled onto a subscription afterwards with YOU having to opt out at the end of the free trial rather than having to opt in. I think Amazon Prime are a good example of this and may have even been in hot water over it in recent years. 

I’m going to politely disagree with you on that one. If you’re only going to sign up for something (whatever that may be) purely to use/abuse the free trial then the onus is on you to cancel that, otherwise you get people just creating shitloads of burner email accounts every week/month/whatever the trial period length and signing up over & over and the business is essentially just giving its product away.

If your going to go to those lengths to get a service for free, you got to put the leg work in, and that involves cancelling each time and signing up with another account

I’m not sure about the Amazon Prime thing you mentioned, but the last two orders I’ve made with them has seen them give me 14 days free  without having to cancel myself. I haven’t asked for it, I haven’t used a code or anything like, it was just there when I went to checkout. Admittedly I didn’t take them up on it because I tried Prime a couple of years back and didn’t think much to it at the time, but I didn’t have to do anything at my end with regards to cancelling it

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, BigJag said:

There fly Amazon. They'll know your housing living situation. You might have ordered to the same address as your wife? Still a shitty thing to do by Amazon.

Waiting for an Amazon Prime delivery is bloody murder. Could turn up at 10:30pm tonight.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

13 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I’m going to politely disagree with you on that one. If you’re only going to sign up for something (whatever that may be) purely to use/abuse the free trial then the onus is on you to cancel that, otherwise you get people just creating shitloads of burner email accounts every week/month/whatever the trial period length and signing up over & over and the business is essentially just giving its product away.

If your going to go to those lengths to get a service for free, you got to put the leg work in, and that involves cancelling each time and signing up with another account

I’m not sure about the Amazon Prime thing you mentioned, but the last two orders I’ve made with them has seen them give me 14 days free  without having to cancel myself. I haven’t asked for it, I haven’t used a code or anything like, it was just there when I went to checkout. Admittedly I didn’t take them up on it because I tried Prime a couple of years back and didn’t think much to it at the time, but I didn’t have to do anything at my end with regards to cancelling it

Yeah I do want to point out that I am not someone to abuse or take advantage of these things and I guess its because of people that abuse the system is why they do it.

I am just shit and forgetful so with Amazon & I think Apple Music (and something else that's slipped my mind) I did the free trial and completely forgot and then realised I've paid out for the month. I would much rather they just stopped the free trial and then allow myself to opt in/pay if I want to continue using the service. I guess I am skeptical that these companies know people like me will forget and take advantage. I'm sure that's what used to happen with free 28 days trial and things like that, but I am going back like 15-20 years ago.

Just now, Briefcase said:

Yeah I do want to point out that I am not someone to abuse or take advantage of these things and I guess its because of people that abuse the system is why they do it.

I am just shit and forgetful so with Amazon & I think Apple Music (and something else that's slipped my mind) I did the free trial and completely forgot and then realised I've paid out for the month. I would much rather they just stopped the free trial and then allow myself to opt in/pay if I want to continue using the service. I guess I am skeptical that these companies know people like me will forget and take advantage. I'm sure that's what used to happen with free 28 days trial and things like that, but I am going back like 15-20 years ago.

Just to clarify too that I wasn’t suggesting that you were, was just speaking in broad terms