Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

People who stand in checkout queues for several minutes waiting, then when they being served and asked for payment decide that's the most appropriate time to look for their debit card that's somewhere in their purse that's somewhere in their handbag.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tamura said:

People who stand in checkout queues for several minutes waiting, then when they being served and asked for payment decide that's the most appropriate time to look for their debit card that's somewhere in their purse that's somewhere in their handbag.

It's usually parking meters for me. Before lockdown our employer had a subsidised deal with the car park across the road. So for years everyone knew they be paying £6.50 for the day yet at half five there would be queues ten deep because some of my esteemed colleagues were 1) surprised at being asked to pay 2) trying to locate a means of payment and occasionally 3) trying to pay by cash at card only machines.

Infuriating.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Tamura said:

Kind of similar thing happens to me when I’m going into work. When you’re coming into the car park you have to use your fob to get through a barrier. Every single day we all need this fob to get in so you’d think people would get in the habit of having it handy when they’re pulling in. No. I always seem to get stuck behind the person who waits until they’re at the gates and then starts looking for it. 

1 minute ago, wandshogun09 said:

Kind of similar thing happens to me when I’m going into work. When you’re coming into the car park you have to use your fob to get through a barrier. Every single day we all need this fob to get in so you’d think people would get in the habit of having it handy when they’re pulling in. No. I always seem to get stuck behind the person who waits until they’re at the gates and then starts looking for it. 

I get not wanting to have your key in your hand when driving so I can kind of forgive that. At one place I worked, someone had their fob on the same key ring as their car key, so they’d pull up, switch their engine off, take the key out of the ignition, scan the fob, then restart the car and drive in. Everyone hated them. 

This reminds me that the barrier has been broken at work for a few months now, but a week before it did, a car that tailgated into the carpark was inches from the barrier coming down on their windscreen. 

I was having a morning fag and watched it all unfold and nearly threw up from the anxiety, so fuck knows how the driver felt! 

Also, the fob sensor is located in a really inconvenient place meaning drivers have to get out the car, and fob (or input code) in and then get back in the car and its always a joy seeing people panic as they try and get back in before the sensor times out. 

• Paid Members

One of my old pet-peeves was walking around the house wearing headphones/earbuds and getting them yanked off my head when I would inevitably catch the wire on a door handle. I thought I solved this issue with the invention of bluetooth headphones and the like.

My NEW pet-peeve now is wearing my wireless earbuds whilst walking around the house and soothing my four-month to sleep at 3:30am, and him yanking them out of my earholes with his angry arm flails. The circle of life.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I have yet to master removing a face mask without, roughly 50% of the time, flinging one of the wireless headphones I'm wearing to the floor in the process.

Somehow, I've recently started hooking them onto my glasses arm sometimes when I try to take my mask off, which leads to an Eric Morecambe askewness at best. I'm worried about just sending them flying.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chris B said:

Somehow, I've recently started hooking them onto my glasses arm sometimes when I try to take my mask off, which leads to an Eric Morecambe askewness at best. I'm worried about just sending them flying.

This happens to me quite a bit as well. It is frustrating. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

This place, when you go into a thread with YouTube links.

It’s nice to scroll, but I want to be given the choice to watch a video; don’t auto-play Steve Blackman hitting someone with a bin when I’m listening to Talking Heads.

That doesn't happen for me, is it something you can change in your browser settings? 

• Awards Moderator

I’ve tried looking at that (using Chrome Mobile on iPhone), but there doesn’t appear to be a setting to knock it off.

It’s alright if I have my headphones in but it’s a nightmare if I have a client in the office and I try to skive with a scroll through here!