Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Gotta get your word count up to get your SEO ranking up. Too short and Google thinks you're not newsworthy enough

The amount of redundancy in online journalism is stunning, especially in entertainment. The clickbait headlines with a note of ambiguity which lead you to four or five paragraphs, usually to give you “news” which could be summarised in one sentence that’s shorter than the headline.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's been a while since my Marketing job involved that kind of SEO (now I'm all about the YouTube algorithm!) but I hear a bunch from people that it's entirely a search engine driven change - that there's a suspected minimum word count that if you fall below will drop you down the rankings because it's assumed you don't have as much information as longer articles.

One of those things that benefits no-one. Journalists hate it because it's more work to create worse writing & readers hate it because now you have to slog through 800 words that could've been 150.

• Paid Members

Online news is the worst. Whatever people think of the BBC, at least their site is easy to read. Those sites that have 2 million pictures and adverts between each paragraph are unworkable. Even worse, somehow, are the ones who also have a massive description underneath each picture, that also features somewhere in the story and you can barely decipher what's the description and what's the continuation of what you read.

And then a fucking video starts playing somewhere that you can't even find to mute!

BBC rule.

I’ve been got and will continue to be got by those ones where they have a picture of someone or something above the headline that draws you in and the picture/subject of the picture don’t even feature in the article. “YOU WONT BELIEVE THESE CELEBS WHO WERE BORN HERMAPHRODITES” [insert picture of Jessica Alba] a frustrated wank later and I’m looking at “THE WORLDS MOST DANGEROUS ROADS”

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

Why do so many professionals seem compelled to put the files they’re sending into a folder before they compress to zip and send them?? I’m extracting to the folder I want them in, don’t hinder me with a meaningless sub-folder meaning I have to waste time moving them. Not much time, but it happens so often I hate to think how many minutes I waste in an average month for the sake of access to files in as few clicks as possible.

Edited by air_raid

8 hours ago, air_raid said:

Why do so many professionals seem compelled to put the files they’re sending into a folder before they compress to zip and send them?? I’m extracting to the folder I want them in, don’t hinder me with a meaningless sub-folder meaning I have to waste time moving them. Not much time, but it happens so often I hate to think how many minutes I waste in an average month for the sake of access to files in as few clicks as possible.

Is it definitely them and not the compression software? I can imagine it’s the sort of feature that gets put in without anyone realising what a bag o’shite it is. “Oh you’re zipping multiple files, here let me put them into a folder to be zipped.” 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Here's a first world "problem":

When you go to Maccie D's and they've got two lanes. You pick a lane, you're at the machine first and then someone comes along to the other machine and you hear "Hi, can I take your order?" from the other machine. Tiny rage inside. I was here first!

Edited by tiger_rick

32 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Here's a third world "problem":

When you go to Maccie D's and they've got two lanes. You pick a lane, you're at the machine first and then someone comes along to the other machine and you hear "Hi, can I take your order?" from the other machine. Tiny rage inside. I was here first!

I find the whole two lane queuing system stressful for this reason, not helped when you've got someone in front who are probably ordering for the office.

Much prefer the single lane system, you know your place in the queue and if someone jumps in front of you its only because you've waited in Bay 2 for 10 mins for your 20 McNuggets. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

I can't decide how this sentence is supposed to be read which in itself is a minor annoyance. 

See, this is where I screw it up. Was supposed to be a reference to Don't They Know... but obviously I went for too vague a hint.