Vince owns their real names now as well

hallicks

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Twitch has 3 different subscriber tiers. The lowest is £4.99 a month, then a tenner, then the top one is £25. Sometimes you can set things where your chat is only for subscribers, so if people want to comment in real time, ask questions etc they'd have to subscribe at tier 1. The only other stuff you tend to get for subscribing at higher tiers that I can remember off the top of my head is that you get extra emojis to use in the chat. 

Twitch doesn't have to just be streaming videogames. You'd be surprised, or maybe not, at how many channels are just girls sat on their beds talking to the chat. Some people DJ live on their, John Robertson does his Dark Room interactive show on there every week/couple of days. Dominik Diamond, and Iain Lee have what is ostensibly a phone in/talk radio show (not together) on there. If you're engaging enough you can get plenty of viewers/followers/subscribers on there, and any money through subscriptions/donations is split 50/50 with Twitch. It can be a handy little earner. If Paige/Saraya does have all those subscribers while she's just shooting the breeze, selling her makeup and messing around on videogames then she'd be able to make something approaching what WWE pay her. 

Thanks for that. Like Youtube, Twitch has pretty much passed me by(because I'm an old bastard!).

If she can make the money that has been reported just by talking to fans while wearing very little, then good for her! I suppose some folk would look down upon it and see ing what she's doing as little more than Babestation or the like, but so what. She wrestled for years and that was looked upon as trash by the "mainstream", so she couldn't really win either way in their eyes...

• Paid Members

I spent a lot of time on Twitch when I was furloughed because it was a little window on the world and allowed me a modicum of social interaction both watching and streaming. I'll admit I'm not on there anywhere near as much as I was now, but it can be a good thing. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I think I posted this before but this gets into the business of being on Twitch and how much people can make etc.

I have a lot of trouble separating the various things I feel when watching breakdowns like this.

At the beginning, I used to despise YouTubers, because they epitomised all the bad sides of this latest development in pop culture, much like how boybands and "It" people were for the previous generation. But I realised it really is a case of "hate the game, not the player", especially in this era when the younger generations really have been gypped by the previous ones, being saddled with such a fucked-up economic world. Fair fucks to any individual who can prosper from this level of cynicism, if they're not really hurting anyone.

Logan Paul is still a cunt, though.

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I have a lot of trouble separating the various things I feel when watching breakdowns like this.

At the beginning, I used to despise YouTubers, because they epitomised all the bad sides of this latest development in pop culture, much like how boybands and "It" people were for the previous generation. But I realised it really is a case of "hate the game, not the player", especially in this era when the younger generations really have been gypped by the previous ones, being saddled with such a fucked-up economic world. Fair fucks to any individual who can prosper from this level of cynicism, if they're not really hurting anyone.

Logan Paul is still a cunt, though.

My kids like watching YouTubers, mostly game streamers and a few that do silly things like make massive food items and the like (plus of course Ryan's World as he's the original don).

I didn't like it at first until I realised that if it existed when I was 10 and I could watch people stream Fifa 95 and Super Mario World, I would've been all over it.

Same as when they used to watch people open 'surprise eggs' and 'blind bags' to show off the toys they get. If that had been Hasbro wrestlers, then little SuperBacon would've watched it all. Plus it's not like when we were young and we only had the TV, and a few channels to consume. I don't actually think my kids watch 'live TV' if at all.

We vet all the things that they watch as agreed Logan Paul and PewDiePie and the like are utter cunts, but to be honest, a couple of the more fun ones have given us ideas on cool experiments/constructions that we've given a go and that's all good in my opinion.

Did make me laugh the other day when my 7yo was watching these two American lads who make these huge food things and remarked "Where do they get their energy from?". I didn't have the heart to answer "Most likely cocaine".

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The King Of Swing said:

Fair play to those making money but I'll never get my head around people paying streamers. 

Old man yelling at clouds moment. 

Oh, absolutely. I never quite got why people would pay to watch people playing a game instead of just playing it. 

The nearest comparison I've had made to me is that it's like how people pay to watch high-level skills on display in professional football, more than participating at an amateur level, which I can sort of see. Still not 100% convinced, but then it's not aimed at me or my generation. 

10 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

My kids like watching YouTubers, mostly game streamers and a few that do silly things like make massive food items and the like (plus of course Ryan's World as he's the original don).

I didn't like it at first until I realised that if it existed when I was 10 and I could watch people stream Fifa 95 and Super Mario World, I would've been all over it.

Same as when they used to watch people open 'surprise eggs' and 'blind bags' to show off the toys they get. If that had been Hasbro wrestlers, then little SuperBacon would've watched it all. Plus it's not like when we were young and we only had the TV, and a few channels to consume. I don't actually think my kids watch 'live TV' if at all.

We vet all the things that they watch as agreed Logan Paul and PewDiePie and the like are utter cunts, but to be honest, a couple of the more fun ones have given us ideas on cool experiments/constructions that we've given a go and that's all good in my opinion.

Did make me laugh the other day when my 7yo was watching these two American lads who make these huge food things and remarked "Where do they get their energy from?". I didn't have the heart to answer "Most likely cocaine".

Exactly the same for me. I'd want to see how to get better at the games and definitely would have been looking for video guides of Mario World. I don't sit there and watch endless footage of people playing but occasionally when a game piques my interest as I'm not buying consoles or playing expensive modern games these days I will watch some gameplay on YouTube. Back when I was ten I would stand in Game or Electronics Boutique etc watching people play on the demo machines etc with fascination so I guess this is just the 21st century way of doing that. 

I don't think my nieces and nephews even know how to operate a TV these days but they can navigate a phone or tablet to find what they want to watch shockingly well. The idea of waiting until a specific time to watch something would probably confuse them. That said from my young childhood through to my youngest sister's the way we watched TV as a family changed massively from having to wait for the block of kids TV in the afternoon or weekend mornings and possibly a bonus looney tunes cartoon in the afternoon to having sky/ free view boxes with kids channels throwing out non stop content all day. She definitely spent more time in front of the TV than my brother and I did for this reason. 

With Paige though and a lot of the Twitch subscribers they must be fairly mature to be able to pay for it. Paige's appeal is of course certainly nothing to do with her gaming skills I imagine and it's more about her fans being able to get closer to her (which I think I heard almost went too far the other day) with 2 way content. Who on here tried to phone into speak to a wrestler on Live and Kicking or the Big Breakfast I wonder with a 1/100 chance of getting through. Kids these days genuinely don't know how lucky they are!

• Paid Members

When I was a kid, I had a Gamesmaster video with walkthroughs for a bunch of games - I don't think I actually owned any of them, but I watched that video to death, because at least I got to vicariously experience those games through it, and I wanted all the games content I could get my grubby little hands on. If Twitch had been an option, I'd never have been off it.

I've watched a couple of Twitch streams - I guested on a Fire Pro GM mode stream once, which was fun if a bit baffling having never really used the tech before, and during lockdown a comedian I know started doing streams of him playing old Mega Drive games. I only watched a few minutes of them, but they were fun because he's a funny guy - and that's the appeal, really, it's not just about watching games, it's about the streamer's personality. And when that streamer is someone like a WWE employee, and people think that paying them for a shout-out is getting them a little closer to someone they see on TV, I can understand how it becomes a big earner. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

To be fair, I'm 35 and I'll text someone back rather than answer the phone as I chucking hate speaking on phones. 

I'm 41, and I have a similar problem. If it's someone I know, no problem at all, can chat away for ages. But when it comes to complete strangers, companies, etc., I'm usually hit by a massive wave of anxiety and nerves. It's an irrational response. 

Hence why when I've worked in customer-facing jobs, or anything that required talking on the phone, I've never done particularly well. Very stressful.