Vince owns their real names now as well

hallicks

• Paid Members

it's all of the above for me. Plus that I find it quite an intrusive means of communication; if you send me an email, a text, a Teams message, or whatever, I can finish what I'm doing and get back to you when it's appropriate for me to do so. It also gives me time to ensure I actually have all the right information to hand. A phone call is just demanding my attention RIGHT NOW regardless of what other commitments I have on, and few things are that urgent, or justify that level of intrusion. 

Years ago, I managed the e-mail customer service department of an online retailer, and when a new director took over, she was obsessed with the speed at which people answered the phone, and we'd butt heads over it constantly. The expectation was that, in spite of having a full call centre answering phones, if anyone had to wait for more than a few seconds to have their call answered, everyone else in the office had to pick up a phone. It was a nightmare, and meant you never got anything else done. She'd point to the screen and shout "THERE'S ONE PERSON IN THE QUEUE!", to which I'd point out "that's not a queue, then, is it?". 

At one point, I was a week behind in responding to emails, because all of my team had been drafted in to answer phones, and I was trying to manage the whole thing single-handedly, alongside my other commitments, and she started haranguing me to get on the phone because there were calls who had been waiting "more than two minutes to speak to someone". I pointed out that I had customers who had been waiting for five or six days to hear from us, and her response was "well, we're a call centre! Phones take priority!", and my suggestion that actually we're a customer service department and customers take priority regardless of how they chose to contact us fell on deaf ears.

Fuck knows what any of this has to do with Twitch.

You never know what the person is going to say or ask, that's the problem. Could be anything. With a text or e-mail, at least you have time to consider your response and even do a moment or two of research if required. I can't see how anyone is confident on the phone in a business setting, unless they know the whole industry inside out and every potential question they might be asked, or they're at least partly a good winger/bullshitter.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Without wishing to turn this into an old man grumpathon, I’ve noticed lately how teenagers are mostly inept at speaking on a phone.

They don’t know what to do if they do accept the call, either. The amount of kids and 20-somethings that walk around holding their phone out whilst it’s on speakerphone, then going “Yo wot?” every 5 seconds because they can’t hear over the wind… Hold it to your fucking ear, you moron!

• Paid Members

Four different people have told me that "kids today" no longer understand the thumb-and-pinky finger mime for "phone call", and instead just hold their hand flat to the side of the face, which I steadfastly refuse to believe until I see it actually done at least twice.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Joke's gonna be on them when everyone gets those microphone/speaker implants in their pinky and thumb. Come on, Apple.

Could go full circle and make it as an accessory for “smart” watches.

“Simply pluck the glove’s connector into your watch, and you can turn it into a phone!”

* iPhone 12 with call plan required.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Four different people have told me that "kids today" no longer understand the thumb-and-pinky finger mime for "phone call", and instead just hold their hand flat to the side of the face, which I steadfastly refuse to believe until I see it actually done at least twice.

Most people around here, kids & adults, seem to wander around with their calls on loud speaker nowadays anyway, so I’m definitely not buying that ‘flat of the hand’ thing

19 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Zelina Vega has been tweeting about unionisation again and the WWE has given her her cards. Shit company

I wondering how long this was on the cards for? It reads as if it came out of the blue, but would certainly explain why she was split up from Andrade and why she was fed to Asuka so very quickly.

WWE are arses, but she'll be fine. She made a mint with WWE and got herself a massively following to support her.

All this talk of unionization is great, but at the same time the two people talking about it are two high earning stars. I hope if anything comes from it helps protect people from top to bottom, not just support the high earners like Vega and Paige.

2 hours ago, LWOLeN said:

Zelina Vega is very talented. She is AEW level. Let’s hope she does not devalue herself by going to Impact. Nobody cares about Impact. AEW is the cool kid in town. 

I wouldn't say that it's devaluing herself by going to Impact. They're far better at managing their womens division than AEW.

However I'm much more interested in seeing what she can bring to AEW because I think they need people like her on the roster.

Is Zelina any good in the ring? She was easily the second best non wrestling personality in WWE behind Heyman so I don't understand the need to hide her strengths. If she comes to AEW have her be the manager of Scorpio Sky and turn him heel in the process or Alastair Black if he ends up being released 

Had timing been more fortunate, she would have been perfect as Shaq's mouthpiece for this feud with Cody