Vince owns their real names now as well

hallicks

1 hour ago, Pogue said:

Why's it just Twitch? And can they take over the account if it's in the wrestlers real name? 

They are trading off their 'likeness' which contractually is licensed to WWE throughout the duration of the contract and a limited time beyond in some cases. Could be argued in court that WWE have exclusivity through the contract to this and thus limits the performer. Also a lot of contracts even on civvy street have the inventions clause which gives ownership to the employer of anything invented or published by the employee during their employment or on company time. This could be used here if the Twitch account has built itself up through the prior use of company assets.

There's no way Vince has a conceptual grounding of what Twitch is. He must just think they're doing unauthorised streams of the Cause Stone Cold Said So VHS and trying to sell merch without a license like the Hebners did. Either that or it'll end up being a gradual shutdown or funnel/advertisement into the Network because why would you be watching anything else, pal? 

That’s unreal.. so talent loses control of their twitch, if talent want to continue building their brand, WWE takes the profits and uses some of it to offload their salary bill which they’re describing as a ‘revenue share’.

That is fucking audacious to say the least.

3 minutes ago, AVM said:

if talent want to continue building their brand

The talent's brand is licensed to WWE via their contract. Twitch is a broadcaster and brand itself. Whilst I do think Vince could handle this better, I'd have thought it was given that you don't appear on unauthorised broadcasts or generate revenue streams based on WWE IP or your own likeness during the contract. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, AndiRush said:

The talent's brand is licensed to WWE via their contract. Twitch is a broadcaster and brand itself. Whilst I do think Vince could handle this better, I'd have thought it was given that you don't appear on unauthorised broadcasts or generate revenue streams based on WWE IP or your own likeness during the contract. 

Except some aren't. If you are using Paige or Xavier Woods rather than their real name, that is their IP. But Asuka for example doesn't use that name for her Youtube channel. AJ Styles owns that name, so surely they could argue that one as well 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Except some aren't. If you are using Paige or Xavier Woods rather than their real name, that is their IP. But Asuka for example doesn't use that name for her Youtube channel. AJ Styles owns that name, so surely they could argue that one as well 

Are they breaking a exclusivity clause on their 'likeness'? Was the brand (twitch account) built using or taking advantage of WWE IP? these are things they'll have them by the balls on.

• Paid Members

I think them running their Twitch accounts could be argued as them protecting their investment, taking twitch revenue from their downside guarantee is despicable. Other than Styles, the majority of the twitch streamers are the NXT talent who I doubt make that much downside as it is. 

• Paid Members

they did "Virtual Meet & Greets" at Summerslam weekend, I imagine that if they see any long-term potential in that, then they'll see Twitch as cutting into its profit margins - why pay WWE to interact with someone online when you can do the same on Twitch without?

Not blaming the talent but wonder if would've stayed under the radar if guys like AJ didn't give insider stuff like Heyman hating, Good Brothers sacking etc.

If they kept it purely light hearted fan interaction and playing games on twitch or whatever they might've gotten away with.

I know nothing of these sites just playing devils advocate.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

Not blaming the talent but wonder if would've stayed under the radar if guys like AJ didn't give insider stuff like Heyman hating, Good Brothers sacking etc.

If they kept it purely light hearted fan interaction and playing games on twitch or whatever they might've gotten away with.

I know nothing of these sites just playing devils advocate.

It would have come up eventually. The guy is a control freak. He probably gets a daily memo from Pritchard listing areas he doesn't have full control over yet. Next month it'll be voting preferences. The month after, what they're allowed to ask Santa for.