I caught that Back To The 80's with Lenny Henry yesterday. I'm pretty sure Paul Ross and David Quantick's entire income is made from them regaling anecdotes about TV clips that they watched for the first time 30 seconds previously on talking head countdown clip shows like this. No Stuart Maconie, surprisingly. 

• Awards Moderator
7 hours ago, mim731 said:

I'll stick this in here as I can't remember the name of the thread on it a while back, but the man behind the famous nineties TV idents, Martin Lambie-Nairn has passed away.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55465330

That's a hell of a legacy, and those idents were iconic and a very memorable part of my childhood (and that of many others too I'm sure) watching terrestrial TV. 

He appears on this excellent documentary by Neil Brand talking about exactly how he came up with it.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

I caught that Back To The 80's with Lenny Henry yesterday. I'm pretty sure Paul Ross and David Quantick's entire income is made from them regaling anecdotes about TV clips that they watched for the first time 30 seconds previously on talking head countdown clip shows like this. No Stuart Maconie, surprisingly. 

Works for Paul Tonkinson.

18 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Dom Joly is another who seems to make his living from shows like this.  There was a similar talking heads show on Channel 5 after Back to the 80s finished and Joly turned up in that too.  As someone who's been watching Desmond's on All 4 it was great to see Carmen Munroe being interviewed and talking about it, especially as it looked like Stephen K. Amos was the best they had to offer at first.

I enjoyed the 90s one last night, although was surprised at how high Don't Forget Your Toothbrush and So Graham Norton ranked in their list.

Edited by Magnum Milano

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

Dom Joly is another who seems to make his living from shows like this.  There was a similar talking heads show on Channel 5 after Back to the 80s finished and Joly turned up in that too.

I enjoyed the 90s one last night, although was surprised at how high Don't Forget Your Toothbrush and So Graham Norton ranked in their list.

He was on one on ITV3 yesterday afternoon about 1979 comedies too.

At least Quantick acknowledges the grift. He was on a talking head show about talking head shows and said they asked him to talk about how Blake Carrington had blue hair. He said he didn’t have blue hair and eventually they said to just leave it and they’d get someone else to do it. 
He watched the show when it went out and his wife was on it talking about how Blake Carrington had blue hair. 

• Paid Members
On 12/28/2020 at 3:03 PM, BigJag said:

https://www.channel5.com/show/worlds-strongest-man-2020/

WSM 2020 coverage has begun. I've got some catching up to do.

I’ve been watching this. Hopefully Vince McMahon hasn’t - there was a contestant called Evan Singleton who Is a WWE wrestler apparently. After round three he said in his interview that he preferred being In WSM to WWE, and during round four he completely tore his bicep 

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, waters44 said:

I’ve been watching this. Hopefully Vince McMahon hasn’t - there was a contestant called Evan Singleton who Is a WWE wrestler apparently. After round three he said in his interview that he preferred being In WSM to WWE, and during round four he completely tore his bicep 

Did you watch the WSM documentary that was on over Christmas? It featured a young Tom McGee competing before his Stampede/Bret making him look like a mega-star days. You could see why Vince would get a stiffy over him. He had everything Vince was looking for in those days(barring wresting ability, obviously)...

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, waters44 said:

I think he had a cup of coffee in developmental.

@Cod Eye Can you remember what the documentary was called? There's a bunch of them on MY 5.

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BigJag said:

I think he had a cup of coffee in developmental.

@Cod Eye Can you remember what the documentary was called? There's a bunch of them on MY 5.

Worlds Strongest Man: Greatest Ever...

Think Ken Patera was on it too...

Edited by Cod Eye

• Paid Members

Just finished series one of Detectorists and it’s absolutely perfect, isn’t it? The most wholesome, sweet but funny tv you could hope for to end 2020. The highlight for me was the pub quiz episode, I can’t remember ever enjoying 30 mins of television more than that. 
The show is quite light on plot but that doesn’t seem to matter, it’s just a pleasure to watch their lives unfold for half an hour at a time.

Two episodes in to series two and I’m really hating the ginger Kraut but I guess that’s the point. I’m going to be gutted when I finish this.

Edited by stumobir

1 hour ago, stumobir said:

Just finished series one of Detectorists and it’s absolutely perfect, isn’t it? The most wholesome, sweet but funny tv you could hope for to end 2020. The highlight for me was the pub quiz episode, I can’t remember ever enjoying 30 mins of television more than that. 
The show is quite light on plot but that doesn’t seem to matter, it’s just a pleasure to watch their lives unfold for half an hour at a time.

Two episodes in to series two and I’m really hating the ginger Kraut but I guess that’s the point. I’m going to be gutted when I finish this.

For me it gets even better as you get to know the characters more. It’s an absolute joy. 

After Watching Back to The 80's, I've been watching the 90's, 00's and 10's ones while grazing on left over cocktail sausage rolls and cheese throughout the day. I've noticed that many of the people doing the talking heads have earpieces in, presumably being fed lines and info about the show they've never watched before.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

After Watching Back to The 80's, I've been watching the 90's, 00's and 10's ones while grazing on left over cocktail sausage rolls and cheese throughout the day. I've noticed that many of the people doing the talking heads have earpieces in, presumably being fed lines and info about the show they've never watched before.

Was Scarlett Moffatt on any of them? I was watching the story of SMTV and she was on there and I was thinking that she will make quite the career out of being a professional talking head. As I’m sure I’ve seen her on a couple of others as well. 

13 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Was Scarlett Moffatt on any of them? I was watching the story of SMTV and she was on there and I was thinking that she will make quite the career out of being a professional talking head. As I’m sure I’ve seen her on a couple of others as well. 

Of course she is