• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

King of the Hill is a series that is animated as opposed to an animated series. It could easily exist as live action but thankfully doesn’t. It’s one of the absolute greats. 

Whereas Family Guy is a series that should never have existed in either form.

• Paid Members

I've been doing a few Christmas specials the last couple of days and rewatched The Detectorists Christmas special last night. Then fell down the rabbit hole and rewatched the entire of series 3. Simply a joy. Brilliantly observant of some of the best aspects of British culture. I'd go as far as to call it beautiful. I'd love to know how it plays to an American audience, if it translates or if they are left with a million questions.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, DEF said:

I'd love to know how it plays to an American audience, if it translates or if they are left with a million questions.

I was wondering this when I bullied a Mexican-American mate into watching Bottom and she loved it. Sometimes they can surprise you.

24 minutes ago, DEF said:

Brilliantly observant of some of the best aspects of British culture. I'd go as far as to call it beautiful. I'd love to know how it plays to an American audience, if it translates or if they are left with a million questions.

I think it doesn't matter, good TV is good TV. There are plenty of things that have gone over my head when watching american shows etc.

I was reminded how universal things can be when Michael Imperioli started waxing lyrical about how much he loved the Royle Family on his podcast. I'd say that's probably the most 'British' sitcom ever.

• Paid Members

Interestingly, from what I can tell the US is the only place that has the Detectorists available on Blu-ray. So it seems like it must have a pretty good fan base over their.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Probably to try and get you to subscribe to Britbox. 

It's on AcornTV in the states, they put the BD's out.

• Paid Members

After loads of recommendations from people I watched the first episode of Stath Lets Flats and absolutely hated it. The episode had no real story, jokes or characters whatsoever. Is this just a case of a bad first episode or does it stay pretty much the same?

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

After loads of recommendations from people I watched the first episode of Stath Lets Flats and absolutely hated it. The episode had no real story, jokes or characters whatsoever. Is this just a case of a bad first episode or does it stay pretty much the same?

spacer.png

You're wrong, you bloody egg.

But it is a quite particular type of comedy, so I do understand why people wouldn't like it.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Particular how? I tend to prefer dark comedy where all the characters are horrible people or weirdos so thought this would be up my alley.

I watched the first 2 episodes and gave up. I like the cast, I liked the concept. I just didn't think it was really funny. Natasha is much better in What We Do In The Shadows in my opinion.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

21 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Particular how? I tend to prefer dark comedy where all the characters are horrible people or weirdos so thought this would be up my alley.

Well, none of the characters are horrible people or weirdos?

In fact, the show has a lot of warmth and heart, Stath, Vasos, Sophie, Al. 

Particular in that a large chunk of the humour revolves around Stath, his inability to speak 'proper' English and the utterly surreal shit he comes out with.

If you don't like that aspect of the show, it's safe to say you probably won't like it.