• Paid Members

Ordered Elementary on DVD over Christmas as it was a ballache trying to fi D it all and set up a series link on my cable TV box. Previously we'd managed to get the first 5 series watched on Prime. I still love it. It shows the viewer clues so they can try and solve it as well, rather than Sherlock on the BBC where all the evidence is found off screen to try and make Bulbasaur Crumplehorn's mind Palace all the more impressive. 

The CTE arc in series 6 and the other what looks to be series long arc also look interesting. 

In almost unrelated news I'm also slowly making my way through not really Sherlock Holmes but you can see the inspiration House on Prime as well. I love Hugh Laurie's acerbic performance. 

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

First episode is incredible. Every other episode is pretty meh after that sadly.

I did think that might be the case, only because I hadn't seen many people talk about it at the time. I see it was renewed for a second season so at least I know I'm not investing my time in something cancelled, which is often the problem on Sky shows I find myself watching.

I finished Community. It was good, but I don't think I'll ever go back to it. Some of it, the last series especially, felt like an absolute slog to get through, and I still can't stand Jeff (or Joel McHale) and that put me off massively.

I got suckerpunched into watching The Crown and have zero regrets. It was superb. Matey who plays Prince Charles absolutely nailed his performance and it actually surprised me with the depth of a couple of its episodes (Aberfan, the 'hidden' royal children, Mountbatten).

Only issue is everyone was far too sexy in the early series. Claire Foy and Vanessa Kirby as horsey types? Get me in a cold shower.

And for my bed time snooze watching I've restarted The Office (US).

Still enjoy it and think Dwight is an all time top 5 character, and I still irrationally hate Toby and his stupid face, but this time Jim and Pam are incredibly annoying. Jim especially is a simping little bitch.

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I finished Community. It was good, but I don't think I'll ever go back to it. Some of it, the last series especially, felt like an absolute slog to get through, and I still can't stand Jeff (or Joel McHale) and that put me off massively.

I've revisited the first 3 seasons and I think they're worthwhile but I can't imagine ever bother going back in for more of everything that comes after...

I finally watched the first episode of Queens Gambit last night. Was every bit as good as people have been saying and it made me and the wife want to break out the chess board and I don't think we've played for about 3 years.. Look forward to see how it progresses.

10 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I've revisited the first 3 seasons and I think they're worthwhile but I can't imagine ever bother going back in for more of everything that comes after...

I really loved certain aspects of it (the playing with and taking the piss out of tropes, Abed, Chang, the Dean, Leonard, Britta and Annie obviously), and I'd watch it if it was on, but now I'm done I don't see me revisiting it. 

But I have just finished it, so maybe I'll feel differently in a few years.

I did really love the final episode though especially Chang right at the end.

• Paid Members

@Devon Malcolm I spotted Battlestar Galactica is on the iPlayer. I remember it being on while I was around a TV but invariably playing something on my PC with headphones in. Looked pretty interesting though. Depending how long it's available I might give it a watch.

Mrs Jazzy wants to try and get hold of all of Hawaii 5-0 (the new one) on DVD now. Presumably to try and get me to sit through it with her. 

5 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

@Devon Malcolm I spotted Battlestar Galactica is on the iPlayer. I remember it being on while I was around a TV but invariably playing something on my PC with headphones in. Looked pretty interesting though. Depending how long it's available I might give it a watch.

I remember watching the initial 'movie' or pilot or whatever it was and thinking "what the fuck is this?" and not watching it again for years. I think I picked it up again roughly around when S3 had finished and a lot of my friends were watching about it and raving about how great it was, so I binged all of it before S4 started and got to enjoy that with everyone else at the time. One of the best decisions I ever made really. Up there with my favourite sci-fi series for sure.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I just this minute finished the first series. The initial two TV movies really aren't good and almost put me off, but the first series does improve markedly as it goes on. Takes a while to get used to but that's par for the course with most sci-fi TV series.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Mrs Jazzy wants to try and get hold of all of Hawaii 5-0 (the new one) on DVD now. Presumably to try and get me to sit through it with her. 

I can't tell you if it's any good or not, but I do happen to know that there are at least *10* series of this, so I hope for your sake it is. 

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I can't tell you if it's any good or not, but I do happen to know that there are at least *10* series of this, so I hope for your sake it is. 

She's watched them all and loves them. 

Me and the Mrs watched all of It's A Sin across Friday and Saturday and I can honestly say I can't remember the last time a show got to me as much as it did. Both of us ended up dreaming about it and it stuck with us for the past couple of days. It's a fantastic series, incredibly sad but still very funny at times. Keely Hawes is great but Olly Alexander steals it.

6 minutes ago, Factotum said:

No spoilers but she got the biggest reaction a TV character has out of me in a long long time.

I can't seem to get spoiler tags to work but if you're referring to the bit I think you are then yeah, absolutely jaw dropping.

Edited by cobra_gordo

2 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

Me and the Mrs watched all of It's A Sin across Friday and Saturday and I can honestly say I can't remember the last time a show got to me as much as it did. Both of us ended up dreaming about it and it stuck with us for the past couple of days. It's a fantastic series, incredibly sad but still very funny at times. Keely Hawes is great but Olly Alexander steals it.

Agreed. I'd say the last time a show got to me that much was Years and Years in 2019.. funnily enough another RTD work.