• Paid Members

I love The Office and I think it’s a credit to the writers that they got 9 seasons out of a show where a good chunk of the cast are either always unlikeable (Andy, Kelly, Ryan, Nellie) or at times act in a way that’s completely unlikeable (Michael, Dwight, Jim, Pam, Oscar, Angela, Erin).

Andy is the worst character by far though and he almost single handedly ruins seasons 8 and 9. The only character that seems normal is Karen Fillipelli and they essentially get bullied out of the show. It’s bizarre when you really think into it.

1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

The only character that seems normal is Karen Fillipelli and they essentially get bullied out of the show. It’s bizarre when you really think into it.

Fun little fact: Parks & Recreation was originally supposed to be a Karen Fillipelli spin-off show. She leaves her job at Scranton and gets a job in Pawnee. Hence why it’s shot in the same documentary style as The Office. They ultimately decided not to do that and make it it’s own show and have Rashida Jones play an original character instead. 

One thing that really bugs me about the US Office is how they didn’t land the culmination of the original Jim and Pam storyline. I’m not saying they had to copy the UK Office Christmas special, but do a bit more than 

Spoiler

jim asking her out for dinner at the end of the season. Then the start of next season they’ve been dating 6 months already. It was a massive build up with a truely lacklustre pay off 

Edited by wordsfromlee

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Fun little fact: Parks & Recreation was originally supposed to be a Karen Fillipelli spin-off show. She leaves her job at Scranton and gets a job in Pawnee. Hence why it’s shot in the same documentary style as The Office. They ultimately decided not to do that and make it it’s own show and have Rashida Jones play an original character instead. 

One thing that really bugs me about the US Office is how they didn’t land the culmination of the original Jim and Pam storyline. I’m not saying they had to copy the UK Office Christmas special, but do a bit more than 

Hide contents

jim asking her out for dinner at the end of the season. Then the start of next season they’ve been dating 6 months already. It was a massive build up with a truely lacklustre pay off 

I was quite happy with them working it that way tbh, the less screen time they got as a couple the better. The only time I enjoyed the love triangle storyline was the pepper spray scene and that was all Dwight.  

Imagine picking Pam over Karen, the big twat. 

18 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Any sources as to that being true? From everything Ive read, it was only ever going to be the vehicle for Amy Poehler. I think it was just a case of fans putting 2 and 2 together because it was being made by the same people who did The Office,

The Office is genius though, and something I go back to regularly. Seasons 2 and 3 are where it peaked too. It also takes me back to the good times where me and my friends would all watch a US download of it weekly, usually followed by an episode of Lost on a Friday

1 hour ago, Dai said:

Any sources as to that being true? From everything Ive read, it was only ever going to be the vehicle for Amy Poehler. I think it was just a case of fans putting 2 and 2 together because it was being made by the same people who did The Office

I was going by a podcast that I listened to years ago so it might not be 100% accurate. This says something similar so I wasn’t a million miles away. 

https://screenrant.com/parks-rec-office-spinoff/ 

• Awards Moderator
15 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

They're re-airing Line of Duty S2 from Saturday February 6th (9pm) on BBC1 which is one of my favourite things ever.

The whole thing is on iplayer if you live in 2021.

Been watching the Yard on Netflix. It’s the Turkish version of Wentworth Prison and dubbed into English (but of course you can watch with subtitles and the original sound). Not a bad series. Better than most series of Wentworth anyway but there are some similar characters and storylines that I recognise from the Australian original.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Been rewatching Lead Balloon over the last couple of weeks and it’s so bloody good.

The daughter and her boyfriend play their parts really well but the star is that mental bloke in the cafe. Pulls off the loveable, awkward lunatic perfectly.

Yes, a great show. For two series anyway, it drops off a bit.

The episode with the spoons is one of the most brilliant of any sitcom. All those fantastic little subplots with the teaspoons, the toaster, the paper boy and the squeaky gate. Brilliant little conversations with the newsagent and big Keith. It's so well done. Can't remember if that's the one with Magda's explanation of how you just buy a driving licence where she comes from before deadpanning "You don't want to drive in my country, it's very dangerous".

• Awards Moderator

Yeah, that episode is when it peaked but that’s not to say there aren’t other golden moments later on. Magda’s so good in it, as is the son of the elderly neighbour. In fact, it may be one of the most stacked shows in terms of high quality supporting cast.