How good is Superstore for real? I’ve seen a few over the last year or so and assumed it could never ascend the level of King of Queens/Everybody Loves Raymond level of enjoyable shitcom. Also there’s a truly awful looking Kevin James NASCAR sitcom on Netflix, can somebody watch that for me?

It’s a show filled with unbelievable, over the top characters who do silly things that are funny. It’s like a good 90 minute film that isn’t cerebral. It isn’t emotional, you aren’t attached to the characters or their lives. It’s one of those shows that is way better than it should be. 

But then I loved Schitts Creek so make of that what you will. 

• Awards Moderator
32 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Yeah, I'm sceptical. I feel like at best it might be Schitt's Creek level, i.e. hugely overrated.

I'm wondering if it's one of those 'give it a season and it'll all click' sort of sitcoms. We've tried the first few episodes and my wife's ready to give up on it. I thought about using the Parks & Rec defence and persevering, but does Superstore take that same leap up in quality the longer it goes?

3 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I'm wondering if it's one of those 'give it a season and it'll all click' sort of sitcoms

Pretty much. We started watching it when eating dinner. Once the characters find their feet and you know them, it’s funnier. 

13 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I'm wondering if it's one of those 'give it a season and it'll all click' sort of sitcoms. We've tried the first few episodes and my wife's ready to give up on it. I thought about using the Parks & Rec defence and persevering, but does Superstore take that same leap up in quality the longer it goes?

I'd say give it til the middle of season 2. If it's not for you by then, I think it's fair to say it won't be. 

28 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Hmmm. Ok @Mr_Danger - I'll do you a deal. I'll give superstore a go if you watch the Kevin James thing. We can both report back.

Ok but I feel that given the positive feedback on Superstore I might be getting the raw deal here. I mean, how good could a Kevin James NASCAR sitcom be? 

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

Schitt’s Creek is fine for the first 2 seasons but Season 3 onwards is gold standard. The advantage of that over watching a show like Superstore for 2 seasons to get into is Schitt’s Creek’s seasons are only around 13 episodes rather then the 20 odd for most US shows.

I watched the first 2 episodes of Superstore and thought it was fine. But when I found out the disabled character is actually able bodied it soured me on it. Maybe I’m being snowflakey but there is no need to do that with so many disabled actors out there.

37 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I watched the first 2 episodes of Superstore and thought it was fine. But when I found out the disabled character is actually able bodied it soured me on it. Maybe I’m being snowflakey but there is no need to do that with so many disabled actors out there.

In a very black and white matter of fact way, sure I do agree with you. But I've seen interviews and comments with him over the years and he's certainly aware of the problematic situation of casting non-disabled people in those roles, but also talks about the energy of the character and the disability not defining him etc. I like that he's careful and considered about the responsibility he has with the role, and he has said he hopes it shines a spotlight on disabled people in a way many other shows haven't.

If the casting was to happen now in 2021 I'm not sure it'd happen or if he would take it, as there's been quite a shift over the past couple of years. But on the whole I think he's been pretty respectful in the portrayal and addressing the challenges. They did audition disabled people for the role and I guess that's also the sticking point for the auditions - you want diversity but you also want the show to work and be the best it can be. It's a minefield networks are trying to navigate for sure.